[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Music theory question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I am having a really hard time figuring this out, maybe someone here can help me.

I don't know how to extend a chord with tensions, and by this I mean, add the 9th,11th and maybe the 13th to the chord (or pla it in the melody). For example in "There will never be another you" the opening chord is Ebmaj7 which conists of Eb G Bb and D
Now I have figured out the 9th is an F but I don't know why it can't be an F#.. Is the 9th chord always in the scale (Eb major in this case). I think the 11th is an A, but I don't know why it's not an Ab or A#.

The same thing goes for D-7b5 which is: D F Ab C with 9th = Eb (or E?) and 11th = G or G#

And then aswell for G7b9 which is G B D F with the 9th = A# and the 11th = C and 11# = C #

I hope this is a bit clear and somebody can help me out.
>>
Look up more on modes and you should be able to make sense of it
>>
>>68710784
it comes down to whether or not the pitch is diatonic (of its scale [and related scaled when in minor]). if you're going to go with a chromatic pitch, make sure you know why and what exactly that implies
>>
>>68710916
>modes
This. There is a specific mode associated with each chord number in any key signature. In this case, your modes are as follows:

I - Ebmaj7 - Eb Ionian
ii - Fmin7 - F Dorian
iii - Gmin7 - G Locrian
IV - Abmaj7 - Ab Lydian
V - Bb7 - Bb Mixolydian
vi - Cmin7 - C Aeolian
vii - Dm7b5 - D Locrian

By default, tensions for each chord come from the relevant mode.
>>
Do you know the interval types - major, minor, perfect, augmented, diminished? Because the chord name usually specifies the exact interval of the tension above the root note. The plain '9' extension is a major 9th above the root, (octave + whole tone, e.g. F above Eb); b9 is a minor 9th interval (octave + semitone, e.g. Ab above G).
>>
The plain 11th tension is quite rare. It seldom appears on major chords because it clashes with the 3rd. It sounds better on minor chords.
#11 is more common, especially on chord IV or V, or in modal compositions.
>>
>>68710784
>I have figured out the 9th is an F
Correct.
>why it can't be an F#
That would be an augmented 9th.
>Is the 9th chord always in the scale?
No, especially not if it's dominant.
>I think the 11th is an A
No, a perfect 11th above Eb is Ab. A natural would be #11. (A# is enharmonic with Bb, which is the 5th.)
>D-7b5
The 9th would be Eb because the Locrian mode has a b2. The 11th is G. (G# would be #11).
>>
>>68711893
/thread
>>
>>68711893
You can have the 9th in a dominant, though. I'm pretty sure (root)7b9 is a pretty common flavor of dominant too
>>
>>68713173
What he meant was the that the chordal ninth is not always diatonic, especially in the case of dominant chords (where you're just as likely to see #9s and b9s as nat9s).
>>
Thanks for helping guys! I'll look into modes later on..

>>68711893
So is it correct to assume the 9th is one whole step above the root? And b9 would be one half step and #9 would be 3 half steps?

For the 11th this will be 3 whole steps up from the root, b11 would be 5 half steps and #11 is 7 half steps?

Also, I heard the #11 is used a lot in jazz, hoz do I know when to play this?
>>
>>68714271
Okay I missed this:
>>68711754
So I should play #11 most of the time except maybe for minor chords?
>>
>>68714271
>So is it correct to assume the 9th is one whole step above the root?
Yup.

> And b9 would be one half step and #9 would be 3 half steps?
Yup.

>For the 11th this will be 3 whole steps up from the root
Nope. An 11th is the same as a 4th, just up the octave, so it's 5 semitones from the root.

>b11 would be 5 half steps and #11 is 7 half steps?
4 and 6, respectively.

>Also, I heard the #11 is used a lot in jazz, hoz do I know when to play this?
Whenever you're extending a Maj7 chord. Min7 chords tend to use the natural 11th, and it's variable with dominants.
>>
>>68714449
Perfect! Thanks for your help
>>
>>68714709
No problem, anon. Good luck building those chops!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.