[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the reactions of this before he died? That is how we

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: mask-blackstar.png (32KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mask-blackstar.png
32KB, 1000x1000px
What was the reactions of this before he died? That is how we know the true worth of the album. Was anyone calling it a masterpiece at the time?
>>
Most people were saying it's decent or pretty good
>>
>>68670014
Yeh, it was heralded as a return to form.
>>
>>68670014
He died before its release.

Next troll thread, please.
>>
a fair amount of people were heaping on the praise from the moment the blackstar single got released, in 2015.

"true worth" is a silly idea in this context anyway, since Bowie was an entertainer and overall pop culture figure rather than "just" a musician. so his death could arguably be seen as a legitimate part of the artwork.
>>
the album did got more appreciated after he died yes, but that's not because people were overrating, it's because a lot of stuff on it made more sense and blew everybodys dick off.
>>
>>68670040
>Yeh, it was heralded as a return to form.
basically this. I knew it was good before he died, so I know without the wider context it was still a good album.

>>68670051
and yes there was a fair amount of dicks being blown off the day he died. That video for Lazarus tho.
>>
>>68670014
Reactions were mostly positive. I think his death didn't really change the opinion of most people, because many people on /mu/ already said that it's one of his bests before he died.
>>
>>68670045
He died 2 days after it was released you fucking Mongoloid
>>
everyone was busy wondering where the fuck monday went
>>
>>68670014
Honestly I wasn't a fan when it first came out (leaked), I saw it as kinda pretentious and empty. Then I decided to relisten a few days later and it started to grow on me, and I got quite into the rest of his discog (up until then I'd only really liked Low and Ziggy). He died the next day and after that my appreciation grew significantly in the new context. It's not just because he died, it's because listening with the knowledge that he wrote and recorded it on his last legs completely changes it.
>>
he did not really die, its a hoax
>>
It was pulling a lot of 7-8s from reviewers and was pretty well liked
>>
You seem fairly dismissive of the significance of context to music - why?
>>
>>68670206
sociopaths can't relate to anything that's based on feelings.
>>
>>68670045
Like two or three days after he died you fucking idiot
>>
>>68670048
>his death could arguably be seen as a legitimate part of the artwork.
I love you, Boku. You're one of my favorites. I think you have a rad taste in music, and you've rec'd some great stuff to me over the years in chart threads. Also, you don't act like a cunt, which is a pretty big deal in the world of trips.

That being said...

That statement is complete bullshit. Unless he committed suicide as a part of the performance, the fact that he died isn't related to the merit of the work. It may be an interesting historical note to put it in context, but it doesn't make the album better or worse.
>>
>>68670322
>Unless he committed suicide as a part of the performance

he didn't, but he was aware of his impending death and it's pretty clear that this permeates every aspect of the album. He knew he was going to die. What he did is as close to knowingly dying on stage as you can get in this day and age.

>but it doesn't make the album better or worse

that's not what I was arguing. I'm just saying that having his death color your perception of the album in this case is as justified as it gets.
>>
>>68670051
>it's because a lot of stuff on it made more sense

This is in zero relation to the music. If I made an album and patterned the notes according to position of furniture in my room, the album too would make 'more sense' if people learned this, but this in no way would make the music intrinsically any better. Music has to stand on its own.
>>
>>68670322
Nah.
He knew he was on the brink and waited until that moment to release it.
What's the difference between in context between a death he knew would occur and one he drives to occur? Still knew when he'd die.
If anything, natural death adds more weight. Can you imagine what it's like to watch your life slip away?
>>
>>68670477
Sorry about the typo, I just woke up.

But his deteriorating health is what inspired this. Suicide wouldn't have been the same.
>>
>tfw you listened to blackstar before he died
Amazing album both with and without its context.
>>
>>68670014
Yeah, overrated because of his death for sure. Very uninteresting overall, people were giving average ratings to it. The concept of the album was overt before his death even happened, people just jumped on bandwagon...like a majority of people do since they cannot hold an opinion that's their own.
>>
>>68670014
Almost everyone said it was his best since Scary Monsters. Some even said that it was his best since "Heroes".
>>68670045
What the fuck are you saying? He died two days after the release.
>>68670322
He started working on the album after he was diagnosed with cancer. It's virtually impossible that the whole work wasn't related in some way with his incoming death.
>>
It was considered a return to form compared to his other releases
still a 7/10 for me
>>
>>68670014
Naysayers compared the title track to Scott Walker
>>
I remember it got a pretty good amount of praise but wasn't hugely talked about. The videos were talked about a lot, but the album probably got like a bit more attention than Leonard Cohen's new album. I recall everyone seemed to think it was quite good but it was too soon for anyone to say it was amazing or anything. But it was definitely considered his best work in a while
>>
>>68670014
the album is about dying anon
why separate the context
>>
>>68670322
lmao, he knew he was going to die anon, and the album its all about death, that is part of the artwork too, that makes this so special, plus, just music, no lyrics and all, is just great too
>>
Got mostly 4 or 5 star reviews, was talked about quite a bit on here, it even leaked on here. Lots of people loved it and said it was his best since Scary Monsters, but the same was said for most of his albums since BTWN.
>>
since i had some panic attacks and a awful bad trip n lsd, i can't listen to this album, it terrifies me.
i am insanely scared of death
>>
When the Blackstar single/music video was released last November, my friend and I both agreed that it was music made by a man who knew or at least thought that he was going to die. We talked about it for awhile and afterwards brushed it off because we thought we had read too much into it.
>>
>>68670014
>That is how we know the true worth of the album
Incorrect, since his death is literally a part of the album.
>>
>>68673055
/thread/
everybody seems to understand that
but i think OP is retarded
>>
>>68670014
I thought blackstar the track was meh. I still do.
>>
>>68672792
You killed Bowie
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.