[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Punk Discussion.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: download.jpg (26KB, 206x245px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
26KB, 206x245px
I've noticed Punk as a genre generally tends to be one of the more divisive genres in terms of what people think counts and what doesn't.
discuss for the following:
1. Is there a cut off point for what makes "true punk?" eg. 1979, the early 90's etc
2. Why do people seem to get so het up about what constitutes punk compared to other genres?
3. what is your opinion of pop-punk?
4. Are there any punk bands today or are they all some kind of sub-genre?
5. What is punk to you?

feel free to answer any or all questions, just trying to start a conversation on something that really interests me.
>>
>>68660995
3. There's some decent pop-punk, but the really mainstream stuff like Green Day is not that. Paramore's not too bad I guess
>>
>>68660995
>Is there a cut off point for what makes "true punk?" eg. 1979, the early 90's etc
no
>2. Why do people seem to get so het up about what constitutes punk compared to other genres?
because "punk" also describes an attitude/style/whatever that is harder to pinpoint than sonic qualities.
>3. what is your opinion of pop-punk?
Not really a fan.
>4. Are there any punk bands today or are they all some kind of sub-genre?
I like OFF! and Iceage.
>5. What is punk to you?
another playlist on my phone
>>
>>68661095
Where does pop-punk start for you? The offspring, green day etc? For me when somebody says pop-punk, the first things that come to my head are groups like All Time Low etc
>>
>>68661118
By the last question, I meant what qualifies something as punk to you? Perhaps my wording was a bit open
>>
1. not really
2. because it's both an idea and a type of music. People like to argue about if a given artist fits their personal definition of the word
3. some of it is pretty good. I'm not super into the genre but say anything and the wonder years are both pretty good
4. we like to assign specific subgenre names to pretty much everything today, so it's difficult to say and someone will always disagree
>>
>>68661135
The offspring and green day are 2 good examples. IDK really, I just hear something and can tell whether or not it's pop-punk. I'm not too well-versed in the genre to really say when it starts. Other bands I would consider pop punk are Sum 41, Blink 182, Fallout Boy, even Modern Baseball. Most pop punk is shit
>>
>>68660995
Punk is literally what ruined music, the fact the theres this whole group of "le wrong generation" people is a testament to the complete abandonment of standards that happened around the mid 70's

If you lament people not giving a fuck about music in the modern age, at least come to terms with the fact that its a direct result of the "punks" and everyone else without an ounce of musical talent trying to pass as musicians.
>>
punk is a philosophy. fuck the government, the authorities, the rich. punk is gutter, is street
no such thing as pop punk, that defies what its all about. it's a movement man, and you know you're dealing with the real deal sex appeal only when laws are being broke
>>
File: debbie harry.jpg (121KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
debbie harry.jpg
121KB, 680x680px
>Is there a cut off point for what makes "true punk?" eg. 1979, the early 90's etc
No.
>2. Why do people seem to get so het up about what constitutes punk compared to other genres?
People get butthurt easily over what they percieve to be almost a religious movement for disenfranchised youth. Those people are ignorant.
The Buzzcocks and the Boys are two of my favorite bands. The Vapors are also great. I prefer power pop.
Punk subgenres are still punk.
>5. What is punk to you?
A form of rock music.
>>
>>68661214
Wow this is such a gay style of "music", its proponents are actually willing to point out that its all about the image

also i love how a lot of these "anti corporate" bands made millions of dollars playing the game just like all the other evil capitalists
>>
File: slc_punk21.jpg (37KB, 700x470px) Image search: [Google]
slc_punk21.jpg
37KB, 700x470px
>>68661214
Yeah man. Hell fucking yeah bro.
>>
Post good contemporary punk bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtHe4bc4q70
>>
>>68661308
>OY OH
>LETS GO
>OY OH
>LETS GO

such an amazing anticorporate anthem, i love how edgy the punks are
>>
>>68661349
Me too bro. I was telling my bro Scumdog the same thing after he played a bitching cover of the song with his band Barfbombs at the Bugbar last weekend. That was a hella sick show too, totally wrecked some shits in the pit. You know how it goes bro.
>>
>>68661204
Punk is like the difference between Renaissance art and Abstract art. while other forms of music (Renaissance) are more technically proficient, it usually lacks emotion and a message, whereas abstract, while less technically proficient usually has a stronger message or emotion to it. both are valid forms of art / valid forms of music. Punk did not "ruin music" it just changed a lot of what we associate with music. Though punk is NOT the first genre to do this.
>>
>>68661256
I've never heard The Buzzcocks referred to as pop-punk before, I always saw them as one of the original Punk bands. I saw them live once and met met, it's kinda of a funny story
>>
>>68661396
>usually lacks emotion and a message
not sure that's an accurate blanket statement to make about other genres of music
>>
>>68661135
For me pop punk is all about the vocals and sometimes the guitars. Vocals in pop punk are usually better than earlier punk, like for example The Sex Pistols and The Ramones basically just yelled, whereas bands that are considered pop punk have better, more technical vocalists (even though they usually still suck) like Paramore or All Time Low, making the music more poppy and easy to listen to than someone just yelling about politics over basic chords and poorly played instruments.
>>
File: dissertationhoney.jpg (81KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
dissertationhoney.jpg
81KB, 350x350px
>>68660995
I wouldn't say there's many just punk bands anymore in the same style of 70's punk, but growing from that isn't bad thing if it remains punk. Punk is an aesthetic and mentality that goes hand in hand with counterculture. Folks who are part of the counterculture tend to have little patience for posers, so when shit gets mislabeled folks get butthurt fast and rightfully so. Some people are more anal than others.

Pop Punk can be punk if it keeps DIY/anti-commericial ideals. I feel like that is the most crucial component of punk today is being a catalyst for radical change. Punks are the kids setting up house shows, food not bombs, dumpster diving and making farming cooperatives. Punks are the kids distributing propaganda contra the status quo, via zine or song. It's not a look, it's a mindset.

Pic related
>>
>>68661269
its about lifestyle not image you well adjusted self righteous fuck. what fucking part of that post led to "image"?
>>
>>68661444
I'm having a lot of trouble articulating my thoughts, but i'm not trying to say all music besides punk lacks emotion or a message. I was mostly referencing the way people from older generations usually resented the messages in the younger generations music. the way in the 60s all the older people hated the popular musicians of that time, or the way older people hated Elvis when he came out because he was "scandalous", people grew to resent punk for it's message because it was different to the music they were used to, which is why i said punk is not the first genre to do this. basically i just think that guys whole "Punk ruined music" shit is just an old mindset where he thinks Punk is bad because they mostly chose message over technicality.
>>
>>68661349
I think the point of the Ramones wasn't always lyrical content, but deconstruction and direct contrast to the intricate Prog bullshit of popular music at the time.
>>
>>68661417
I've heard people describe pop-punk as beginning with the Ramones and the Buzzcocks and then on to the bands like Descendents who were a big inspiration for a lot of the 90's pop-punk bands when it got more mainstream attention like with the Offspring and Blink-182. That opened it up for pop bands (All Time Low) to kinda take the style in a super shallow way and claim to be new pop-punk because they listened to Dookie in the 90's when they were in high school.
>>
>>68661513
It's actually not about either of those. It's about attitude.
>>
>>68661644
Wrong. It's actually about swagger.
>>
>>68661654
Wrong. It's actually about what me and your horny ass mom did on the living room couch. Those stains are from me, sorry about that.
>>
>>68660995
1. no

2. because they're assholes

3. it's bad (except the bananas)

4. if you really liked or cared about punk you would know the answer to this question

5. pretty edgy for the most part
>>
>>68661679
This
>>
>>68660995
1. Not really
2. Because it's more about attitude than music
3. Pop punk is... But still i prefer the so called proto-punk and post-punk to the pure punk
4. Not at all... Punk is dead
5. A lifestyle
>>
>>68661679
This is punk
>>
>>68661716
in retaliation to your 4th point, i was trying to ask questions that would get different answers out of people based on what I've seen people say before
>>
>>68661679
this guy gets it
>>
>>68661598
I can see where you're coming from. I agree that "punk ruined music" doesn't have much basis in reality, just misunderstood the point you were making
>>
>>68661679
this is punk
>>
>>68660995
>1. Is there a cut off point for what makes "true punk?" eg. 1979, the early 90's etc

elitism is how [spoiler] delusional idiots think[/spoiler] genres are maintained and kept to a standard

it's whatever to me

not interested in them if they are

>5. What is punk to you?

something I don't care about anymore
>>
>>68660995
>1. Is there a cut off point for what makes "true punk?" eg. 1979, the early 90's etc
No, but it's harder to find a good punk band now, mainly because they've stayed so underground.
Because it's considered to be as much a way of life as a genre of music.
Oh, you mean garbage?
You have to dig pretty deep to find decent bands that have the musical style and attitude while keeping their credibility. The only high-profile pre-2000s "real punk" left is basically Jello Biafra.
>5. What is punk to you?
Not giving a shit about what others think and just doing what you want with your music without giving a shit about what your "record label" thinks.
>>
Punk is a definable sound, aesthetic and ethos; enough so that people who try and say it was only a specific moment in time are just stuck in the past or romanticizing a very specific idea of what it means to them.
For the same reason metalfags get worked up about it - it's an aggressive, often contentious style of music and culture - it attracts people of that type who get very protective of it
I love pop-influenced punk, but what tends to be called pop punk grates me 95% of the time.
4. Are there any punk bands today or are they all some kind of sub-genre?
Of course - punk still breathes in the people and musicians it continues to inspire, both directly and indirectly - I don't get nitpicky with specific scenes and offshoots of it, that goes against one of the core values of punk imo anyway
>5. What is punk to you?
Rawness. Irreverence. "Wait a fucking minute, I could get up on stage and do that". Using imperfections to add flair to your expression. Using negativity and ugliness to create something positive and beautiful.
>>
Fuck no
Because people get way too into the image
Depends what you would define that as
I honestly think that true punk died with Jay Reatard in 2010. But punks like FIDLAR still exist where all they sing about is drugs and skateboarding
>5. What is punk to you?
Doing whatever the fuck you want
>>
>>68661507
this album is god tier and in my top 20 fo sho

can an anon get some recs for more shit like this?
>>
>>68661095
Shonen Knife are good
>>
Anyone know any melodic crust punk bands?
>>
>>68660995
Not at all. That'd be retarded for such a short lived cultural movement.
>Why do people seem to get so het up about what constitutes punk compared to other genres?
Some people that identify as punk (insteaad of just listening to the music) seems to enjoy the idea of being part of a counterculture or resistence. I can relate in a sense, but there is no limit for how much they can divide the gradient of being a Punk or a Sell Out.
> what is your opinion of pop-punk?
Honestly what made punk great in the first place was:
-How adecuate it was for outing real feelings of disconformity
-The musical stripping of rock music that made possible the innovation in structure and mood. (Just look at how post punk influenced industrial to synth-pop)
But pop punk does nothing like that and is only catchy.
>Are there any punk bands today or are they all some kind of sub-genre?
Idk. Not that I know, but I'm not some kind of punk myself.
>What is punk to you?
Attitude: Contrarianism, scandal and social transformaton.
Music: bare bones rock
>>
File: jello2.jpg (20KB, 447x316px) Image search: [Google]
jello2.jpg
20KB, 447x316px
>>68660995
1. When white kids stopped facing conflicts in their lives and white-guilt became the new hot thing of the era.

Imagine a black rapper who was so ashamed and digusted by his race and culture. Wouldn't really work huh.

2. Punk is more than just a music and as gay as it is punk is a lifestyle and shit. Nowadays it just stops at a teen angst phase and you can't really expect more than that because modern punks doesn't hold that frustration and rebellion it used to.

3. Pop is always crap

4. I suppose by the textbook definition they are still around by most of em end sounding alt rock imho

5. Hip hop with guitars but had more potential
>>
My favorite punk bands are Screeching Weasel, Reagan Youth, Choking Victim and The Ergs. What do?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.