[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post your favorite album and why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 17

File: IMG_6078.jpg (248KB, 1000x992px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6078.jpg
248KB, 1000x992px
>Tesseract-Altered State

I'm a metal head that listens to all types, and this brought me something I had never experienced before. So much so, that it changed my course of musical taste. I went from listening to hardcore and beat down to instrumental and progressive metal/jazz overnight. It opened up my eyes to so much more as far as "metal" is concerned. I will never forget the moment I heard it and how I reacted. This album was life changing and had only gotten better as time has gone on.
>>
File: benn_jordan__pale_blue_dot.jpg (38KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
benn_jordan__pale_blue_dot.jpg
38KB, 500x500px
>Benn Jordan - Pale Blue Dot: Tribute to Carl Sagan

I've listened to ambient music for years, tearing through probably over a hundred different albums. None have ever brought me closer to space than this album. The sound design is gorgeous, giving me the sense of loneliness and coldness that I would imagine space to feel like, and every track blends into the next seamlessly. The journey I had the first time I listened to it was one I will never forget, and to this day it is an album that will, without fail, give me the catharsis that I need, when I need it.
>>
>>68658291
That's a beautiful explanation. I'm going to go and check that out right now. I myself am a huge "space nerd" myself, so anything like that sounds fantastic. Thank you for the insight friend.
>>
>>68658291
Also, if you like heavier things, might I suggest "The Contortionist" - Exoplanet album. It's a very involving plot and story for the exploratory nature of humans in space as the earth is dying and they search for a new home. Worth it to look at the lyrics.
>>
File: The Lonesome Crowded West.jpg (779KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
The Lonesome Crowded West.jpg
779KB, 1000x1000px
>Modest Mouse-The Lonesome Crowded West

Well, I could write out long paragraph telling everyone here why I think The Lonesome Crowded West is the album to end all albums but, I failed 12th grade language arts for a reason, so, i'll just write out a few bullet points (meme arrows) of why I prefer this album over every other album I've heard.

>It's got a decent amount of material.
This album has 15 tracks and runs 74 minutes therefore, i'm not going to get tired of it anytime soon

>There's a lot of diversity
Tracks like Teeth Like God's Shoeshine, Shit Luck and Convenient Parking have upbeat and fast tones whereas tracks like Out Of Gas and Trailer Trash take on a far more chill vibe

>Isaac Brock grew up near me
Not necessarily a reason to like an album but knowing Isaac Brock grew up less than 100 miles from me certainly helps me have a little more respect for it

>It sounds good to me
I really like how the album sounds.

10/10
>>
>>68658738
Definitely respect the indepth look. Will be listening to.
>>
>>68658738
Also, we are both "Washingtonians" so that's extra respect.
>>
>>68658930
Montana.
>>
>>68659018
They're not from Tacoma?
>>
>>68658195
how is Ashe's voice so godly?
>>
File: Colors1.jpg (97KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Colors1.jpg
97KB, 300x300px
you will like this more op
>>
>>68659087
Most of the band is but Isaac lived in Helena until he was 11.
>>
File: mgmt-congratulations.jpg (219KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
mgmt-congratulations.jpg
219KB, 500x500px
>>68658195
>would say loveless but everyone here loves it too much

The production is perfect, it's a fun album, and it's introspective. I never would have expected this from a band who makes top 50 hits. The songs are complex with multiple parts, but they all work and each part transitions well into the next.

On It's Working and Flash Delirium there are vocal harmonies reminiscent of 60's pop music and I really like that. It's an album where you never know what's going to happen next. It's like you're flipping through TV channels. Each song has a completely different tone from the last.
>>
File: folder.jpg (542KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
542KB, 1000x1000px
listen to it at full volume lying in bed in the dark
>>
>>68659138
I know that album. Fucking classic. 10/10 anon.
>>
>>68659154
Oh didn't know that! Nice to known something new.
>>
>>68659313
I always felt like MGMT might make some lowkey good music, but honestly never enough to change someone's life. That makes it worth it to listen. Also, very excellent explanation for why you like it.
>>
File: cover.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
GY!BE - F#A#infinity

It's kind of tough for me to really nail down why. I think it's how consistently crushing the atmosphere is. It gets into my head a little more every time I listen to it, but I don't feel like I really get all of it or what it all means to me yet, so I keep coming back to it.
>>
>>68659344
Which album is this?
>>
>>68659421
boris - flood
>>
>>68659402
I honestly hate MGMT, so I'm not just shilling. I think they're a shitty band. But monkeys on typewriters and all that.
>>68658738
Lonesome Crowded West is great because it's good at what it does. Tons of albums try to capture the feeling of being isolated, but LCW fucking nails it. There's really no album that shows what it's like be alone despite being surrounded by people like this one does.

Teeth Like God's Shoeshine is the PERFECT opener for the album. It's amazing how well it displays depression just in the change of tempo. It starts fast and neurotic, then gets calm, depressed, neurotic, etc. Great album
>>68659412
F#A# is kind of the pinnacle of atmospheric music in my opinion. It's basically The Road in music form; it feels more like a movie than an album.
>>
>>68659544
You definitely got my thoughts on F#A# better than I did. This guy has the correct opinion
>>
>>68659544
Very interesting, actually. I wasn't expecting to hear such opinions but I thin that makes them all worth the listen. I gave each a second of my time and will definitely need to give them more.
>>
>>68659421
listen to Flood right now
>>
File: Radiohead-Amnesiac-2001.jpg (22KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Radiohead-Amnesiac-2001.jpg
22KB, 320x320px
I love everything about this album but the best part about it is how it temporally manages to makes you feel like you really are suffering from amnesia, from the moment you start forgetting things, till the moment your mind is completely empty
>>
>>68659667
>>68659597
>i spent so much time on /mu/ that some people like my opinions now

This is the happiest day of my life.
>>
>>68659692
Honestly I think people are just less hostile here than they used to be. Doesn't hurt that they're good opinions too

While we're on the subject, I'd like to get some input from another fan of F#A#. I'm thinking about getting a tattoo related to it and right now I'm gravitating towards plain text of either the title or a section of the monologue from Dead Flag Blues. Which do you think would be better?
>>
File: folder.jpg (30KB, 501x500px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
30KB, 501x500px
it found me in a very difficult time so i have many emotions attached to it, also the robotic drums great lyrics and general atmosphere is amazing, its like a dance party in a cemetery
>>
>Liquid Swords

samurais, gritty beats, samurais, some of the hardest and memorable bars, samurais
>>
>>68659775
Fuck me the drums on this album are fantastic.
>>
File: kate-bush-hounds-of-love.jpg (374KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kate-bush-hounds-of-love.jpg
374KB, 1200x1200px
Not a lot of albums blow me away upon first listen and an even more select group of albums manage to surprise me at multiple points throughout the duration with how fucking awesome it is. This one is just littered with jaw-dropping golden moments and The Ninth Wave gets better every time I listen to it.
>>
>>68659692
I gotchu senpai. I feel like all types of music, whether out of your comfort zone or particular taste, ought to be at least tried and fitted. So hell yeah I respect your opinion. Thanks again for the extra music to listen to friendo B)
>>
>>68659775
What should I be looking for in particular from this? An album name or song in particular? YouTube only gives "Closer" so much info.
>>
>>68659787
Fucking amazing album. One of the absolute classics in hip hop. Much respect from OP.
>>
>>68660063
It's an album by Joy Division

protip for next time: click on the blue triangle next to his post number, then hover over image search, then click google :)
>>
>>68660234
Damn it I should have thought about that. Thanks for the reminder. Joy Division is awesome but I haven't heard much by them. I'll have to give that a listen.
>>
File: tree.jpg (123KB, 1500x1485px) Image search: [Google]
tree.jpg
123KB, 1500x1485px
I was in a bad place emotionally when I first heard this album. (Saw the DVD of the concert, rather.) I was finally wrapping my head around how directionless my life had become (went to college for a year, dropped out due to quite a few reasons, life afterward was strange, etc.) I had listened to FoaBP (the first half of the concert, more or less) before, but the concepts didn't stick with me; that was because I was in a better situation, though. I revisited it again in this live album and found a lot of the messages surprisingly relatable - not all of the specific issues detailed in the songs so much as the general ideas being presented. It would be a while until I started getting my shit together, but this album helped push me toward that.

And some other reasons I like it:
>Best version of FoaBP - the heavy sections didn't get the punch they needed in the studio, but it's in full force here
>Seamless integration of the semi-related "Nil Recurring" EP which came out around the same time
>John Wesley's vocals here are perfect (thank god Steven let him handle the highs)
>Dark Matter
>>
File: okcomputer.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
okcomputer.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
Its taken me months to decide that this is tied for my favorite album, the whole thing has this very ethereal dream-like feel to it, like I am dreaming or having a nightmare, and I love it so much.
>>
>>68660687
It's interesting to read stories like this and listen to the musicn attached to it. I try to envision the person with it and it just puts an interesting image in my head. I suppose I put myself in the listeners shoes. This was a good listen, based on the very little that I heard. It's especially interesting considering the story behind it. Thank you for that.
>>
Because coldplay is the best new wave/pop punk/experimental rock group of the history.
Chris voice is just amazing and brian eno's production level are stellar.
It's a very edgy album, very deep and brave.
>>
File: Seekae__Dome__1322240849.jpg (36KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Seekae__Dome__1322240849.jpg
36KB, 450x450px
I really don't know what it is about the album, but it just seems personally tailored for my tastes and my tastes only. It's "this hole is made for me" tier shit. I've always just loved the way it sounded and the pacing and style ever since the first listen, and by this point its become so sentimental to me that I don't think anything can take its spot.
>>
Susanne Sundfor's voice is absolutely striking. This album sounds ice cold and is a phenomenal combination of synth and baroque pop, mixing deep synthesized bass sounds and chilling strings. She's truly a master song writer and gets the effect she wants. Every track is spectacular, but White Foxes really takes the cake: my favorite song of all time. Her preceding release, The Brothel, is similarly perfect, but there's something about this one that just stands out to me as The Best.
>>
>>68660760
when I am king you will be first against the wall
>>
File: image.png (773KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
773KB, 600x600px
This is the album that made me like metal. It has some of their best songs too, like Cliffs of Gallipoli, The Price of a Mile, Talvisota, and Swedish Pagans
>>
>>68662074
If you didn't go over the top this could have been good bait.
>>
>>68659544
i just finished that book today and thought it was ok.
>>
File: Heaven or Las Vegas.jpg (115KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Heaven or Las Vegas.jpg
115KB, 600x600px
Always whisks me away to its own beautiful universe existing outside of time and place. No matter how bad my life gets this album will always be my anchor for finding a reason to smile and go outside
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.