[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

where to start with Flaming Lips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

File: 1475489140246.jpg (100KB, 600x697px) Image search: [Google]
1475489140246.jpg
100KB, 600x697px
where to start with Flaming Lips
>>
>>68649869

You don't.
>>
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

I personally don't care for the rest.
>>
>>68649869
What bands/genre do you already like?

I ask because The Lips have several eras with different sounds.
>>
>>68649869
The Soft Bulletin. Play it LOUD
>>
File: flaminglips.png (787KB, 1106x1462px) Image search: [Google]
flaminglips.png
787KB, 1106x1462px
Served senpai :)
>>
>>68649869
The garbage can
>>
>>68649981
The garbage can what others can not.
>>
>>68649923
psychedelic and prog.. favorite band is King Crimson. Also a big fan of "weird" pop music.

>>68649942
thanks lad
>>
>>68650898
>psychedelic and prog.. favorite band is King Crimson. Also a big fan of "weird" pop music.
Then start with Clouds Taste Metallic

Ignore that chart, it's awful
>>
The Soft Bulletin and/or Yoshimi, either one really. The Soft Bulletin would be their creative triumph, Yoshimi is a rare instance of an artist successfully following up their best album. After that I'd say go backwards, they were on a constant peak throughout the 90's with the exception of HIT to Death In the Future Head (nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't fully live up to everything else they did in that decade. Their 80's albums, sloppy as they are, are also highly entertaining. At War With the Mystics is good in terms of sound and production, but the songwriting surprisingly weak. It's really more of a Dave Friedman album than anything else.

The other answer would be that Embryonic is the only good thing they ever did.
>>
>>68650898
there's also the terror which would appear in the experimental/noise section
>>
Their latest track the Castle. It's their most compositionally, stylistically, and lyrically incredible song they've ever written.
>>
>>68652575
Don't
>>
>>68652575
Damn, I didn't know the Flaming Lips were still capable of making music like this. I definitely wouldn't say it's the best thing they've eve done, but it definitely makes me hopeful for their next record. It's got that "I enjoy this even though I don't want to" element that their best stuff has.
>>
>>68652575
>>68652786
It's the most mediocre thing they've ever done
>>
>>68652834
Yeah but I enjoyed it and it got me pumped for the next album, plus it's a single anyway. It's basically what initially attracted me to the Flaming Lips. Even if it isn't amazing, it has all the qualities that got me into the band. If that makes me bad then fine.
>>
>>68652932
Well I cannot stop you from enjoying mediocre music
>It's basically what initially attracted me to the Flaming Lips
Oh are you in the Yoshimi/At War With The Mystics generation of fans?

Makes sense
>it has all the qualities that got me into the band
Sorry I don't hear Ronald Jones on this song. Not sure what you mean by this.
>>
File: yeah.gif (56KB, 709x688px) Image search: [Google]
yeah.gif
56KB, 709x688px
>>68652834
>didn't get the joke

On a more serious note, their best albums are Clouds Taste Metallic, The Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi.
>>
>>68652575
nice b8
it's just decent; Yoshimi B-side tier.
>>
>>68653064
>>didn't get the joke
I guess not. What was it?
>>
>>68653026
Yoshimi is great, Mystics was definitely missing something. I think they needed to go off into a more abstract direction, it was pretty clear with that album that more direct pop music wasn't where they were at the time. The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi were the two that did it for me, but I think basically everything they did from 1990 through 2002 was amazing, and I fucking love the Ronald Jones era. It's not that it's 'clean pop' that drew me in but the overall way of writing and that enticing aesthetic they used, and they had that during the Ronald Jones era, which was basically an early incarnation of the 'classic' lineup that did Zaireeka, the Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi. I see pretty much see the five albums Transmissions From the Satellite Heart through Yoshimi as their classic five album streak. Still, even if it's mediocre, the Castle just has that sound that's in line with what got me into them. I think Embryonic was an amazing album and that and the Terror were a necessary direction for them to take. Maybe now they'll be able to approach their pop sensibility with more power.
>>
>>68653102
The joke was that I too think that the Castle is a shit track and that the band has done waaaaayyyy better in the past.
>>
hey
>>
>>68653173
Where did you drop any hints of sarcasm?
>>
>>68653241
right here
>Their latest track the Castle. It's their most compositionally, stylistically, and lyrically incredible song they've ever written.
>>
>>68653265
It was not very well done, since people actually believe this anyways.
>>
>>68653184
?
>>
>>68653330
To believe that would be absurd, but it's still a good song.
>>
>>68653330
The sarcasm is implied because you as a Flaming Lips fan are supposed to know that the track is shite
>>
>>68649869
random and off topic, but I've been trying to find that pic for a few years now OP. thanks for posting it, maybe I can finally find the artist.
>>
>>68653449
>>68653397
But many fans believe it's great, so obviously this logic doesn't work, and it's poor sarcasm.
>>
>>68653449
Not phenomenal but not shit. It's got some good elements. Those crashing pianos and bright synths are really pleasing, and the lyrics have that bad but good kind of quality about it.
>>
>>68653598
I guess I should give up on my career in comedy
>>
>>68649891
Trash taste
>>
>>68653524
You're welcome mate.
>>
chronologically
>>
>>68649869
embryonic is really good
>>
>>68649869
The Terror
>>
they have like 5 good songs, the rest is shite.
>>
>>68654957
lol
>>
>>68655075
You have 5 good words in this sentence. The rest is shit.
>>
>>68655126
>the
>is
>like
>they
>???
5th good word?
>>
>>68655676
>>
>>68655676
>they
>have,
>like,
>good
>songs
>>
>>68655075
What 5 songs?
>>
>>68655868
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_AHWBagi_o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9cBm1EzQ00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVr7P2Cngiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9JIGOEie4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfOfkJbvjF0
>>
>>68656038
What makes those good but the rest of their discog bad?
>>
Get 4 CD players, hook them up in different rooms in house, get 3 friends to press play on the other ones and bask in it at full volume
>>
Compare and contrast these two interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A385F7wYD_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqXj0RLV1RI
>>
>>68656038
>they have 5 good songs
>two of them are from AWWTM
kill yourself

also the soft bulletin is the greatest pop album of all time (alongside pet sounds)
>>
>>68649869
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
>>
>>68656038
>Two from their bad album
>Two from their good album that doesn't sound like them
>One that was only partially included on their best album
Creative.
>>
>>68656271
>>68656401
>implying that AWWTM is bad
get some taste you fucking scrubs
>>
>>68656429
It is one of their worst albums.
t. someone who knows more about the band than you
>>
>>68656429
it's their 3rd worst album
t. someone who knows more about the band than you
>>
>>68656429
It's honestly their worst album. Before that their 'bad' albums were their 80's albums, but even those were highly entertaining and enjoyable. At War With the Mystics is just cheesy as fuck. It's the first time their "bad but good" aesthetic didn't work out for them.
>>
>>68656602
>but even those were highly entertaining and enjoyable
this.

like their first 3 albums are so amateurish but still fun as hell. also have some great pop hooks too

honestly how the flaming lips have changed over time is amazing
>>
Listen to Mercury Rev instead
>>
>>68656681
listen to both

mercury rev had more interesting arrangements but the lips had better songs
>>
>>68656602
>>68656635
The problem is that it's the first Lips album that didn't push their own boundaries somehow, and they just relied on their shtick, succumbing to musical apathy. They even realized how shitty an album was afterwards, and this did a 180 with Embryonic in order to reinvent themselves.
>>68656681
You can listen to both.
>>
>>68656723
>it's the first Lips album that didn't push their own boundaries somehow
exactly, and it wasn't good enough in terms of the arrangements that the lips are capable of, and didn't have strong enough songs to warrant much attention
>>
>>68656819
>and didn't have strong enough songs to warrant much attention
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. They relied on the studio creations aspect of it rather than interesting songs, as you mention.

More like Treading Water With The Magicians amirite
>>
>>68656868
kek

unfortunately I can see Ozcy M'lady going the same way
>>
>>68656920
idk I'll wait to hear the whole thing before I judge. I loved their last few albums, so maybe it'll be great.
>>
>>68657013
same, I think it'll be like all flaming lips studio albums in terms of the fact that it'll never be bad
enough to be considered actually bad

I don't even think mystics is a **bad** album
>>
File: WithALittleHelpFromMyFwends.jpg (23KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
WithALittleHelpFromMyFwends.jpg
23KB, 220x220px
>>68649869
>>
Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.