[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you go from this...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: Animal_collective_merriweather.jpg (123KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Animal_collective_merriweather.jpg
123KB, 450x450px
How do you go from this...
>>
...to this??
>>
they're both shit lol
>>
In the Flowers is the only 5 star track though
>>
>>68649864
>What is Bluish
>>
>>68649838
I COULD BE A HARE AND I'D
>>
SJ>>>>>>>>>>MPP=PW
>>
>>68649835
>>68649838
by getting better with experience, obviously
>>
By gaining demanding fans who dislike change. PW isn't bad though. I wonder where they'll go next. I hope the psych pop era is through though
>>
>>68650547
Pretty cynical. I believe they're trying to make the best music they can, and simply missed the mark. They drastically changed their usual creative process of working out songs on tour. The results weren't great, though there were a few highlights (floridada, golden gal). The difference between CHz and PW is astounding.
>>
>>68649838
PW is pretty good dude, different style but the melodies are just as on point as MPP imo
>>
>>68650501
I knew this thread was going to get me mad.
>>68649835
>>68649838
Anxiety and being tortured knowing that you've moved away from something that was once valuable and important to you, and the crushing notion that you'll never get it back, plus a sudden demand to "do what you do" from the audience you attracted when you were in your creative prime, combined with a dreadful sense of stagnation and a creeping notion that none of it really means anything.
>>
>>68650547
It's really not a change, it's stagnation. Animal Collective have dragged their pop aesthetic on way too long. They should have gone in another direction following ODDSAC. That was really the peak of their pop era, because it took their new found pop aesthetic and combined it with their early experimental roots. If it felt like they had come full circle with Merriweather, they really came full circle with ODDSAC. It's not that Painting With is a change that makes it bad - and honestly I'm not sure how you'd get that out of it - it's that it sounds stagnant and dead. There's really no joy in these songs, despite it being their poppiest album to date. On Merriweather it sounded like they were on top of the world and knew it, Painting With sounds like the opposite. It sounds like hell. Also, hate to be this blunt, but the songs are plainly bad. Panda Bear's songs in particular are by far the weakest songs ever to make it onto an Animal Collective related project, and Avey Tare just sounds so beaten down. At worst he's almost on the same level as Panda Bear. Even if it is technically better than Panda's songs, Floridada might be the most embarrassing song Animal Collective have ever put out. I know you'll still probably say I just can't keep up with the change or something like that, but Animal Collective's evolution has always been one of the most intriguing elements of their artistry, and, sorry to point it out, they haven't really evolved much in ten years. It's kind of like when you put a wheel in motion, it spins quickly for a long time and then slowly comes to a stop. Animal Collective have been in this pop era for basically a decade now. Painting With is just them having come to a stop.
>>
>>68649912
the worst song on the album
>>68649864
>what is also frightened
>>
>>68651860
Congratulations, you have opinions.
?
>>
>>68651885
yes quite like everyone else in the thread.
?
>>
>>68651910
Yeah but you just say things that are kind of like who cares. I know you have a trip, maybe that's why. Maybe get rid of it.
>>
>>68651685
>>68651830
>people still don't get a simple, playful pop album
it's a well written pop album almost at the level of MPP, while it probably would've been more interesting if they had gone less poppy after ODDSAC it's not bad music at all.
>>68650547
this
>>
>>68651860
>the best song on the album
Fixed
>>68650765
Did anyone else find both of these tracks, especially Golden Gal, scarily addictive? They made me feel like I was eating candy with crack in it or something, like both the songs are sugary-sweet and I couldn't stop listening to both of them on repeat for weeks.
>>
>>68652081
Art Angels was a more concise pop album. Animal Collective just seem to have lost touch with where their strengths lie. Merriweather was successful because they used their creative framework to pull it off. Painting With seems like a pop album first and foremost. With Strawberry Jam through ODDSAC it didn't feel like they were deliberately making pop, that's just where they were creatively at the time. I feel like they lost touch with their abilities on Centipede Hz, and Painting With almost feels like a deliberate attempt to go against the creative framework that resulted in their best work. They're no longer following their ideas, they're more just trying to get it done. That's the feeling I get from Painting With. And as for a playful pop album, if that's how Painting With really turned out I'd praise it for that, but like I said, I get no joy out of these songs. Sure they're bouncy and upbeat, but they don't really sound playful or joyous to me. It sounds like a forty year old man at John's Incredible Pizza jumping around pretending to be happy; he's not.
>>
>>68651939
>I know you have a trip, maybe that's why.
why would that have anything to do with it
others were already discussing which songs were the best, i'm assuming you were one of them as well, like why are you going after me
>>
I think they can still make a good album. If they had played the songs live like >>68650765
said, Painting With would have come out sounding great. The Painting With live shows have evolved the sound of the album alot.

Also panda bear's last solo effort was pretty good. Although I do prefer the live shows for this one.
>>
Perennial Classic Tier:
STGSTV
Sung Tongs

Must Listen Tier:
MPP
Oddsac
HCTI
Feels
Strawberry Jam
Water Curses
Fall Be Kind

Really Good Tier:
Prospect Hummer
Hollinddagain
Honeycomb/Gotham
Campfire Songs
CHz

Hit and miss tier:
Danse Manatee
Painting With
People
TTG

Yikes Tier:
Gnip Gnop/Hounds of Barrio
>>
>>68652335
Okay, whatever, I guess your posts just don't warrant a trip is all.

I wasn't one of them by the way.
>>
>>68650547
I need them to go back to psych folk
>>
>>68652423
>People below Centipede Hz
I don't see how you could place anything Animal Collective recorded during that magical era below that repulsive album.
>>
>>68652432
i usually don't use it in regular threads but seeing as having a trip makes everyone disregard your argument i guess it was a mistake to do so for once
>>
>>68652485
this
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.