[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the consensus on this thing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (242KB, 600x538px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
242KB, 600x538px
What's the consensus on this thing?
>>
The consensus is to try to forget it happened by listening to Surfer Rosa on repeat
>>
>>68642962
what..is that thing?
Like what am I looking at here
>>
I don't think it's that bad

are the songs on Head Carrier really any noticeably worse than a lot of the songs on Tromp le Monde (which is already pretty good)? I don't think so

it's mastered too hot, but it's still a solid Pixies album imo
>>
>>68642962
awful and probably makes it into the top 20 worst albums of the year especially considering who made it

>>68644267
a blowfish?

>>68644482
>are the songs on Head Carrier really any noticeably worse than a lot of the songs on Tromp le Monde
yes? alec eiffel?
>>
>>68642962
Its not too bad. If you weren't expecting more of their 80's and 90's stuff but, instead, more Black Francis solo type stuff, its enjoyable. Not amazing or groundbreaking but alright overall.
>>
The Pixies were better the more influence Kim had and The Breeders >>> Frank Black solo
>>
>>68644649
>The Pixies were better the more influence Kim had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOOpNHXc6o

yeah sure, whatever you say bud
>>
>>68644675
I dunno I kinda prefer this to most of the songs on head carrier which almost entirely seem either arbitrary or lazy

at least bam thwok is a silly laziness rather than just hackneyed
>>
>>68644675
nice cherrypicking, a song literally written for a shrek movie soundtrack
>>
>>68644883
and rejected
>>
everything after bossa nova was shit
>>
>>68644675
Every band is allowed a few crappy songs as long as the rest of their discography is golden. Which the pixies had, until recently.
>>
>>68644883
>nice cherrypicking

It's 1/3 of her Pixies material.

Another third ain't great either.
>>
>>68644998
she only wrote 3 songs, but she had more musical influence on the first two pixies albums, after which Frank basically shut her out of the band because she wanted to write more.
>>
>>68644998
the album credits are dubious at best and besides the contention was simply her influence
>>
>>68644998
>seriously implying Kim's songwriting efforts in the Amps and Breeders aren't 10X that of Frank Black solo and Pixies post-Kim

Holy fucking shit dude
>>
>>68645061
>>68645129
Listen to Frank's early demos of Pixies songs, where it's just him and a guitar. The songs were all his. They cut the Purple Tape/Come On Pilgrim like two weeks after she joined. The Pixies were always 80% Frank and 20% Joey's guitar. Kim was negligible.

>>68645166
I never implied that. I think Kim Deal is talented and Pod and Last Splash are good.

Still doesn't change the fact that 99% of the Pixies catalog is Frank's songs and Kim was just a shit-talking mascot in that band.
>>
>>68645230
she joined the band like two weeks after it formed in 1986 and then they recorded the purple tape a whole year later so i'm not sure what you're talking about

also, could you point me in the direction of those demos? i found some 1986 demos on youtube but they're the full band, with kim doing vocals
>>
>>68645354
>i found some 1986 demos on youtube but they're the full band, with kim doing vocals

I don't think I've heard those?

The early demos I'm thinking of are just Frank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FHHDNNwTD0
>>
File: Kim Deal with it.jpg (17KB, 354x472px) Image search: [Google]
Kim Deal with it.jpg
17KB, 354x472px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btMcwj4dfkg

weird

and not really in a good way
>>
>>68645544
what even is this
>>
>>68645544
>>68645574
That's a remix.

The Frank Black Francis comp had one disc of new remixes, and one disc of old solo Frank demos.
>>
>>68645625
March 1987 solo acoustic demo tape

moot point?

The pair formed a band in January 1986.[6] Bassist Kim Deal joined Santiago and Francis two weeks later after responding to a classified advertisement Francis had placed, seeking a female bass player who liked both folk music icons Peter, Paul and Mary and the band Hüsker Dü.[7] Deal was the only person to respond, but arrived at the audition without a bass as she had never played the instrument before.[8][9] She was invited to join the band just because she liked the songs Black Francis was showing her. She later obtained a bass, and the trio started rehearsing in Deal's apartment.[10]
>>
>>68645544
How did he become so fat? Did his metabolism just stop one day?
>>
>>68645494
wikipedia says those demos were recorded just before their first recording sessions. considering that, and those 1986 demos (provided they're real)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STUNWLpjj8I&list=PL1jFWQacLioGeQdEeTIta2uLJbPg7Mcb5
it's very likely they had worked on those as a band beforehand
>>
>>68645655
>moot point?

What? No. It's Frank demoing his songs. Not Kim demoing her songs, because they're not her songs.

Frank and Joey had been playing together since they were in school. Hell, even Tromp le Monde material like U-Mass was written when they in school.

Also,

>She was invited to join the band just because she liked the songs Black Francis was showing her
>she liked the songs Black Francis was showing her
>the songs Black Francis was showing her
>the songs
>Black Francis
>showing her

If you're going to quote wikipedia, why not quote all the parts where it says "All songs written by Black Francis"?

Look, point is, the songs you're hearing on the records are not any substantially different because of Kim Deal from what Frank wrote himself. There's not a conspiracy to hide that we actually have Kim to thank for Bone Machine and Here Comes Your Man and Hey and so on. It can plainly be said that Frank wrote virtually all the songs. I don't understand what could possibly be controversial about that?
>>
>>68645792
it's more of a collaborative effort than you're getting at. by this logic, joey didn't contribute any of his guitar parts to the songs or change the songs in any way because he doesn't have writing credits. the writing credits as listed could just be for lyrics.

there's also nothing on the wikipedia article that says the songs he showed her were the ones that become the purple tapes. and as i said here >>68645733, it's likely those demos on frank black francis were recorded after working the songs out as a full band
>>
>>68645838
>by this logic, joey didn't contribute any of his guitar parts to the songs

I said upthread that his guitar parts were part of the Pixies. But yes, Joey obviously is more instrumental ;) to the Pixies than Kim. That's what I've been saying... Deal just didn't account for much musically.

It's just... why insist so much that Kim was Pixies' secret real songwriting force when there's nothing to indicate that? Even so, when all of the literature on the matter, including the song credits, indicate that it's basically just Frank.

>the writing credits as listed could just be for lyrics

If that were so, Kim would have actually had a sole writing credit for Gigantic. (she's co-credited with.... wait for it.... Black Francis)

Anyhow, this is exhausting man. I'm already coming across as more of a Frank Black fan than I really am. We'll just agree to disagree.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.