[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>he majored in music ??? Why? Actually curious.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

File: ayyyy.jpg (23KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
ayyyy.jpg
23KB, 576x432px
>he majored in music

???

Why? Actually curious.
>>
>>68633648
Because I want to be a band director.
>>
>>68633648
Reply to this post or
>>
>>68633667
have fun competing with the hundreds of others applying
>>
>>68633718
You could say that about literally every other career
>>
>>68633757
not engineering or something useful.

Name any other job that you can ACTUALLY get from majoring in music
>>
>>68633648
Did he? I'm sure I would have remembered that episode
>>
>major in music
>can't get a job because music degree
>owe thousands in student loans
>expect the rich to pay for them
>>
File: d9d.png (214KB, 500x533px) Image search: [Google]
d9d.png
214KB, 500x533px
>>68633804
>there aren't hundreds of people now going for engineering jobs
>>
File: 1473924592057.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473924592057.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>tfw music major
>dont practice enough
>hardly understand music theory
I'm not good at anything else either
>>
>>68633964
Stop browsing 4chan and practice you nigger.
>>
>>68633910
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>68633648
So I could learn how to write for orchestra and actually call myself a "composer"

Second year of my major, I had a piece recorded by our national orchestra, so seemed to have worked.
>>
>>68633918
>there aren't thousands of openings
>>
>>68633918
you seem to be implying that engineering has a market saturation point, but I'm not sure that any practical field has a realistic saturation point
>>
i have a national diploma in creative media production. got anything to say about that?
>>
File: 1473987201667.png (92KB, 195x193px) Image search: [Google]
1473987201667.png
92KB, 195x193px
>>68633648
to stave off actual adulthood for a few years
>>
>>68633668
>or...
>...OP will have a girlfriend
>>
>>68633648
My friend majored in music and plays violin. he just got a job as a music teacher right now making a decent amount of cash. he's also working on his masters right now and after that will probably be a violin tutor. he's constantly getting paid to play in orchestras too so..

but if you haven't been playing an instrument since you were a kid and your just some loser with a guitar that can't even read music, idk why you'd be a music major
>>
>>68633648
cause I don't wanna grow up
>>
>>68633648
I wanted to be an opera singer and no one told me better. Now I work for one of the big three consulting firms so I guess I set myself straight.
>>
I'm not a poor piece of shit who had to take out loans from the (((government))) like a good little cuck. My parents aren't blue collar retarded rednecks or peasants and dad makes 6 figures. I can study whatever the fuck I want and follow my true passion while you slave away doing some gay STEM major.

Music major/Russian language minor
>>
i majored in computer science and minored in music production
how fucked am i
>>
>>68633648
>>68633804
>studying something you hate so you can be a wagecuck
>not studying what you love and pursuing a career after

>>68633910
>be porkie
>exploit my workers daily( but I'm a job creator don't worry)
>be asked to pay 3/8 of my stolen wealth instead of 2/8
>throw a tantrum like the child I am
>tfw when wage cucks defend me :)
>>
>>68638767
>getting a degree that can't guarantee you a decent-paying job when you're thousands in debt
The land of the free :^)
>>
File: T7icxHd.jpg (28KB, 340x480px) Image search: [Google]
T7icxHd.jpg
28KB, 340x480px
>>68638846
>being poor
>being in debt
>not going to trade school
>>
>>68638873
>le trade school meme

Enjoy arthritis at 35 and making no more than $40k a year, and that's only until automation replaces your job completely.
>>
>>68633648
>tfw im too afraid to follow my interests in music and film so im getting a degree in compsci instead
i envy these people
>>
>>68633964
Go study you foolish boy
>>
>>68633668
hey
>>
>>68638984
I make $50k as a welder faggot and that's without attending jewish liberal indoctrination camp for 4 years or taking out loans I'll never be able to pay back. I sure hope the extra $10k is worth all the slaving away on the computer in a cubicle all day and the corporate cock you'll be sucking. Nevermind that extra $10k is going back to the loan collections department and you'll have to live with mommy and daddy while you pay it off while I'm buying a house at 23.

Falling for the college scam (for any non-Ivy/top 50 school) in 2016 is the stupidest possible thing you can do.
>>
>>68639300
t. 19 year old living with his parents
>>
>>68633718
>It's hard so don't try!
You sound like an absolute fucking loser. Have fun fucking scrubbing toilets or building car parts in some shop all day.
>>
>>68633668
*replies*
phew! that was close :)
>>
>>68639335
t. 150k in debt for his music degree

keep telling yourself you're so smart and made the right decision
>>
>>68638846
>studying music at a university
>not studying it at a communist college
Shiggy diggy.

>>68639418
>150k in debt for his music degree
But I'm not going to be in debt at all? Have fun with your shitty job wage cuck.
>>
>>68639910
>commnist college
Community college lel
>>
People will try to leave their creative dreams through academics should be beaten to death
>>
>getting a degree in music
>not doing music in your free time and getting a practical degree

if you're a skilled musician you'll find work with or without a degree.
i plan on getting a degree in computer science, get a job in tech and work for a few years, pursue music in my spare time and see where it goes, if it goes anywhere, quit the tech job and go into music full time. always good to have a backup plan.
>>
>>68639300
50k is not a lot of money anywhere someone might actually want to live, lol

also having a house at that age is lame as fuck
>>
>>68640030
>if you're a skilled musician you'll find work with or without a degree.
i plan on getting a degree in computer science, get a job in tech and work for a few years, pursue music in my spare time and see where it goes, if it goes anywhere, quit the tech job and go into music full time. always good to have a backup plan.

A "real" degree that can get you a job to sustain yourself is 2-4 years long(I'm probably going to do a 20 month massage therapy course in a few years which starts at 70k a year out of school). If you want to compose music seriously, or teach in a school you need to have a degree in music.
>>
>>68633648
2 meet at music waifus
>>
>>68640272
*qt
>>
>>68640030
you'll just end up working in tech your entire life.
>>
>>68640263
yeah i was gonna say a degree in music is only useful if you want a specific job/niche related to music like teaching music. you can teach yourself how to compose using resources online or taking lessons.
>>
>>68640310
probably
but it's fun to think about. i dont expect to get big but i do want to do music as a hobby.
>>
>>68640356

Are you me. Studying CS right now but god I do wish I went to music school instead
>>
Friendly reminder that going to a non-Ivy league school is a waste of time and money. The education sucks (all the actual intellectuals get hired by Ivys) and you won't make any real connections (all the people who actually go on to do anything of worth got accepted to Harvard before their Junior year of high school).

If you do not go to Ivy League, you are already guaranteed a life of mediocrity that will be forgotten less than a century after you die. You might as well make the most of it and go to trade school and be your own boss instead of being a wagecuck for Ivy League gods.
>>
>>68640387
Everything we do is going to be forgotten eventually, anon. Why does it matter how long it takes for the world to forget us? We're going to be dead anyway, so it won't matter to us.
>>
>>68633648
>double majoring in physics and music
>my options are grad school and grad school
loving it
>>
>>68640387
>and you won't make any connections
Stupid. Of course you'll make connections and get opportunities at any college. It'll be in your own area without much reach or branching out as Ivy schools, but saying that there's none is wrong.
>>
>>68633964
The fuck don't you understand music theory? I can't read sheet music for shit but, I can still understand theory.
>>
>>68640488
Why does nobody understand how to get a job? Christ man, stop pushing this stupid meme.
>>
>>68640507
Do you think sheet music is not part of theory? That's like saying you can fluent in a language even though you can't read or like it.
>>
>>68640578
As in I can't sight play or sing, I'm just not good at reading it that way, for whatever reason and trying to write in that manner bores the hell out of me. I understand intervals, scales, keys, chord building (along with inversions) and writing in multiple parts. I can write just fine as well, if I'm transferring notes I just worked out to sheet or tablature into sheet, which I've had to do for music theory a couple of times, like I stated, it's just boring as piss to me. I can read and figure out what is what, what chord is being played and which version, just fine but, I can't actively sight play, I'd have to renotate the music my own way and then learn it or learn it by ear.
>>
>>68640578
Also, sheet music isn't strictly part of theory, theory is mainly focused on just what is being played, not how to notate it. Sheet music is just the way we notate it so that everyone can universally understand what we're doing.
>>
>>68640795
it bores the hell out of you cause you suck at it lmao
>>
>>68638664
>not setting out to be an indie rockstar instead with daddy's money
you're a faggot
>>
>>68640840
It bores the hell out of me because it's so structured and that's not something I like too much in music, so I worry more about what I'm playing more that what I'm writing. Like I said, I do well enough with it, I could write a song in sheet music if I wanted to with no struggle past the boredom. It just doesn't seem to have much of a point to me to learn it when it isn't particularly useful to me, I improvise a lot of solos, basing it roughly around the preexisting solo if it's a cover, and I learn the chord or riff by ear, for the most part. Sometimes, I use tab or sheet music to get me started but, after that, I don't have a lot of difficulty. I don't think one's ability to read sheet music should or does have any real impact on musicianship.
>>
>>68640795
Ahh I see what you were getting at.

>>68640830
In my school they consider sheet music to be a component of music literacy.
>>
>>68639300
please adopt a trip
>>
Why spend 4 years learning to arrange classical music when you could spend that time touring and amassing a fanbase that will actually support your musical endeavors later in life?
>>
>>68639300
>falling for the Ivy League scheme in 2016
lol ok
>>
>>68641343
I'd say it's literacy but, not nessicarily part of theory itself. Overall literacy would imply to me rhythm notation, lead sheets, chord recognition, key etc. along with theory.
>>
>>68633648
So I can build the shit you faggots play with.
>>
>>68636022
Send me a youtube link, man
>>
idk i've been singing all my life and college gave me an opportunity to improve my craft
can't teach for shit so i'm a vocal performance major
about to hit division juries at the end of the semester
wml /mu/
>>
>>68639363
t. some fag who wasted moms money on his overpriced """"education""""
>>
>>68641674
I don't play with my latte, though
>>
>>68633804
Fuck off pleb
To be an orchestal musician/director/anything you have to work hard as fuck and be techically much better than the plebby popular music hacks you worship
>>
>all these kids who wasted literal hundreds of thousands of dollars for music at NON IVIES

I majored in Literature so I could become a better writer, I now work for a large publishing company. I can tell you write now, if it wasn't Duke I was attending, I would have never considered the major.

Majoring in the arts outside of an ivy is hilarious.
>>
>>68642126
>this is what the music major believes

oh boy
>>
>>68642134
>claims to have majored in english in Duke
>uses "write" instead of "right"
Yeah how about you stop lying to yourself and eat a bullet anon.
>>
>>68642126
>implying you know more about music than Tay Tay
Stay pleb
>>
>>68642134
>I can tell you write now
10/10
>>
>>68642174
Do you really want me two?
>>
>>68642126
You will never get half the recognition that Animal Collective has because you most likely compose boring music with boring ass instruments.
>>
>>68642174
>he took the bait
This board is shit
>>
>>68642201
>bored
Ftfy
>>
>>68642174
>tfw to intelligent for this board
>>
>>68642201
>"Hey guys if someone points out that I'm a retarded sociopath who feels the need to lie to anonymous strangers on the internet I'll just call it bait haha! IT'S A FOOLPROOF PLAN!HEHE U MAD BRO! U T R I G G E R E D?"
>>
>>68642246
no you autist, that's been a forever /lit/ meme.
>>
File: cmon son.jpg (24KB, 720x410px) Image search: [Google]
cmon son.jpg
24KB, 720x410px
>>68642268
>expecting me to be in on memes from a board as shitty as /lit/
>>
Wait...people don't actually major in music right?

LOL
>>
>>68642308
I mean, you are on mu
>>
>>68638664
have u ever sucked ur daddy's cock?
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.