[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>listens to Joy Division once

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

>listens to Joy Division once
>>
>>68623468
It's more likely applied to you, rather than the band.
There are bands like Sound and Chameleon that share more in common with Interpol.
>>
File: CHRIST.jpg (71KB, 212x244px) Image search: [Google]
CHRIST.jpg
71KB, 212x244px
Turn On the Bright Lights [Matador, 2002]

They bitch because everybody compares them to Joy Division, and they're right. It's way too kind, and I say that as someone who thanks Ian Curtis for making New Order possible. Joy Division struggled against depression rather than flaunting it, much less wearing it like a designer suit. What's truly depressing is that, just as the hairy behemoths of the grunge generation looked back to the AOR metal they immersed in as teens, these fops tweak the nostalgia of young adults who cherish indistinct memories of much worse bands than Joy Division, every one of them English--Bauhaus, Ultravox, Visage, Spandau Ballet, Tears for Fears. At a critical moment in consciousness they exemplify and counsel disengagement, self-seeking, a luxurious cynicism. Says certified British subject Peter Banks: "Emotions are standard and boring. I'd like to find another way to live." That's thinking either big or very small. C+
>>
>>68623468
lmao 2bh i don't see the resemblance between interpol and joydiv that much, apart from paul's vocals, i'd say the atmosphere and the tone are different
>>
>>68624212
>atmosphere
>>
>>68624179
This is completely correct.
>>
>>68624179
What a fucking idiot.

>reviews album with an emoji
>>
>>68624179
based
>>
>>68624222
i guess i'll just walk away in silence now
>>
>>68624179
>Bauhaus
>much worse than Joy Division
Okay, you had me going there for a second Christgau.
>>
File: natnl.jpg (74KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
natnl.jpg
74KB, 800x800px
>listens to Interpol once
>>
>>68623468
That would be The Chameleons. Seriously, listen to Script of the Bridge and then Turn on the Bright Lights.
>>
>>68623495
>Sound and Chameleon
Lol you just read a comment yesterday that said this, those aren't even the names of the bands
>>
Interpol sucks ass
>>
>>68623468
Shitty version of My Dad Is Dead
>>
>>68624179
>not one sentence in this is actually about the music
>>
>>68624630
They can't touch Joy Division, not least because they just hopped on to the """goth""" cancer aesthetic as soon as JD and Siouxsie got popular. In the Flat Field is pretty good, but they don't have an album that can even compare to Unknown Pleasures or Closer, but I'd like to hear your argument to the contrary. PiL also did the genre hopping much better
>>
>>68624179
I swear this cunt hasn't written on good review
>>
>>68624526
>See the danger
>Always danger
>>
>>68624179
>I say that as someone who thanks Ian Curtis for making New Order possible.

edgy
>>
>>68625361
I wrote that comment too dumbass
And sorry as im typing on my phone autocorrector fucked up plural
Idiot
>>
>>68626502
>And sorry
I forgive you
>>
File: 1446197843332s.jpg (6KB, 250x193px) Image search: [Google]
1446197843332s.jpg
6KB, 250x193px
>>68626502
you didn't
I did you imposter
>>
>>68624212
They don't sound like JD nor were they influenced by them. Their basslines are more complex and over the place, they feature twin guitar interplay, and they don't use negative space to build atmosphere like JD. Seriously, people who say Interpol are influenced by JD have no idea what they're talking about.
>>
>>68626651
if you dig those bands too it's cool
But no need to act like you know them your whole life
I personally was heavy into post-punk in 2012 and found those bands through rym
Don't pretend to be someone else, you're good as you are>>68626651
>>
File: 1459635291695.gif (95KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1459635291695.gif
95KB, 500x384px
>>68626772
But I literally posted that yesterday buddy, you're not me... are you?
>>
>>68624526
don't walk away
>>
>>68625316
Really? I only hear that on a few songs, and it sounds more like they're influenced by similar things (including Joy Division).
>>
>>68625316
>listens to Tindersticks once but can only play the guitar
>>
>>68626966
This. Or Madrugada, who are just gothier/rockier Tindersticks.

>>68626932
A band can do post-punk and not be influenced by Joy Division you know.
>>
>>68626765
what does negative space mean? just curious, i'm a big fan of JD but i never heard this term before
>>
>>68628490
It refers to JD using the spaces in between notes as much as the notes themselves to create atmosphere. Think of the baseline at the beginning of The Eternal, if there wasn't the sparseness in between that would not be nearly as effective.
>>
>>68624179
music """"""""reviewers""""""" should be shot
>>
>>68625457
I don't really disagree with you, I just hate the phrasing of them being MUCH worse. It triggered me.
I'd say Closer>In the Flat Field>Unknown Pleasures, but you know, that's just my opinion.
>>
>>68629865
Nah UP is definitely better than ItFF.
>>
>>68624179
>I say that as someone who thanks Ian Curtis for making New Order possible
why the fuck would you write this
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.