[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Bodys the greatest song of the decade? Yes, yes it is.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (41KB, 715x704px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 715x704px
Is Bodys the greatest song of the decade? Yes, yes it is.
>>
stop smoking because its lowkey ironic as fuck senpai
>>
Hey OP, those are you got some nice shoulders
>>
>we're young
>we're thin (most of us)
>we're alive (most of us)
>>
Yeah I used to think sober to death was my favorite, but either bodys or beach life may be replacing it. Bodys just perfectly captures being an awkward teenager with a crush on someone.
>That's not what I meant to say at all
>I mean, I'm sick of meaning, I just wanna hold you
>>
That's not a mouth, that's the shorter fox's eye
>>
no but beach life-in-death is
>>
>>68620185
how so?
pls explain sempai
>>
>>68621167
obviously a cuck who made this album smokes cigarettes this is depression core how could they not
>>
but cute thing is the best song on that album, anon.
>>
sober to death is the greatest song of all time
>>
No, no it ain't.
>>
wish i could hear what he was saying
>>
>>68623660
also i JUST noticed that their arms are connected
>>
>>68623660
you can look up lyrics on their bandcamp
>>
tfw they're just two normal people
>>
>>68623673
oh shit i just noticed that too
>>
>>68623673
also i can never look at this cover and not see that their mouths are open. i know theyre supposed to have tiny little mouths at the end of their noses, but their arms make it look like their mouths are open. maybe its deliberately drawn like that
>>
>>68623675
i know. im not expecting to hear every single word like a Leonard Cohen song, im just saying for a regular rock band where the vocals are such a big part of the music, the words shouldnt be hidden in the mix.
>>
>>68623748
i suppose, but i kinda like it when lyrics are muffled sometimes, since it adds to the lo fi effect and the wall of sound. the lyrics in their later work are more clear at least
>>
>>68620842
the only good song of the album, r-right?
>>
>>68621425
nah i don't think it's ironic, i always felt like it was remembering words told to him
the album is too self centered and confessional for it to be an ironic track
>>
no, but it's a great song

objective TF rankings:

Beach Life-in-Death > Famous Prophets > High to Death > Bodys > My Boy > Sober to Death > Twin Fantasy > Stop Smoking > Nervous Young Inhumans > Cute Thing

too bad Will has gone to making complete garbage and will never make anything remotely decent again, at least not until he leaves those 3 talentless fuckwads he calls a band and goes back to producing his own material
>>
>>68620148

>un-chi-ka-chi-un-chi-ka-chi-un-chi-ka-chi...

Lol no
>>
>>68625821
sober to death > bodys > beach life in death > famous prophets > nervous young inhumans > twin fantasy > my boy > cute thing > high to death > stop smoking

i'm just going to ignore what you said about his new stuff
>>
>>68625973
I won't let you, because I'm a dick. It's shit. It's total shit. It's the worst-produced rock album I have ever heard, with the worst drumming and vocal performance ever. Will needs his lo-fi production to hide his voice. He needs to layer his playing, which was always distinctly his. He sounds indistinguishable from any bargain-bin garage rock band now. Not What I Needed's first 30 seconds or so are some of the most aurally painful ever created. Now it's generic look-how-depressed-I-am Urban Outfitters garbage for everyone, not the personal, diaristic, boundary-pushing experimentation it once was.
>>
>>68620148
>when Blackstar exists
"no"
>>
>>68625931
>I judge a song by one out-of-context element from it rather than considering said element as a part of the whole work
>>
>>68625931
>>68626161
that's the best part of the song anyway
best drumming on any CSH song
>>
>>68625821
His band is tight, fuck off. And the songwriting on Teens of Denial is very similar to what he's always done, the only difference is that it's hi-fi now. Which honestly isn't that big of a difference.
>>
>>68626124
aka "I liked him before he was cool and now he's a sellout"

Congrats, you're a fucking meme
>>
Nervous Young Inhumans is my favorite one out of this album
>>
>>68626193
no, I liked him when his music sounded good and his lyrics were personal
Teens of Style was ok. Nothing great, kind of a useless release, but he got a lot of clout for it and I still accepted it.
He sold out. He makes less interesting music. He doesn't understand what worked about his good music.
>>
>>68626179
no, they suck. I can't believe anyone thinks that drummer sounds decent when he's bashing the fuck out of that kit and overwhelming everything. The guitarist's backing vocals are fucking hilariously bad. The bassist is alright but at points it sounds like he's playing a completely different song from everyone else. The bigger problem is being a 4-piece restricts their sound dramatically, and with HTLT he had such interesting forays into synth experimentation that it's just fucking sad to see him stripped down to this dull parody of himself. It is a huge difference. Grow some ears.
>>
>>68624651
I'm 99% sure "Stop Smoking" is about Cate Wurtz. Will still seems pretty adamant about nonsmoking, but I'm pretty sure she smokes a lot.
>>
>>68626331
every song on that album is about Cate Wurtz
>>
is Stop Smoking about Marijuana or just about cigarettes

At first i thought it was about cigarettes but since he re-uses it in High to Death i'm not sure
>>
>>68626345
Right. That's why I don't get people thinking some of these songs are just about him. It's his least self centered album
>>
>>68626361
pretty sure it's cigarettes. He's concerned about her health, whereas HTD is about Will's bad experience smoking pot.
>>
>>68626269
I kind of agree with you and it's troublesome. I have hopes for Wave Goodbye to the Jets because Will has said they plan to branch out their sound more from just indie.

Plus, HTLT was written after ToD. But the production....disgustingly bland. I was hoping he'd stick with the half hi-fi, half lo-fi sound of ToS.
>>
>>68626409
Thanks. I don't really pay attention to lyrics to be honest, i just really like his music
>>
>>68626269
There's plenty of synth stuff, studio trickery, and mutlitracking etc. on ToD. Like the beginning of Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales. He layers his voice just like he did on the older albums.

>>68626215
His lyrics are still personal, his music is still good. Like, what's the huge difference? ToD haters can't qualify their opinions. You said it yourself, you think he sold out, but that doesn't mean shit when the only thing that's changed is his budget.

>>68626215
>>
>>68626501
that watery garbage on DD/KW is hardly the synth wandering of The Ending of Dramamine. And no, it's not like the vocal layering, since his voice doesn't have that reverby effect, he sounds really awful when his voice is double-tracked since you get twice as many of his awful voice cracks. Not to mention the chorus of DD/KW is the corniest, most generic awful melody he has written.
And no, his music is vastly less personal. Compare Unforgiving Girl to literally everything he wrote about Cate before. That utterly meaningless chorus of "it's an unforgiving world / but she's not an unforgiving girl" (the mortal sin of rhyming those two words notwithstanding) is downright insulting. I am justifying all of my opinions, you're just not reading them.
All of his lyrics are just edgy slogans now ("you have no right to be depressed / you haven't tried hard enough to like it"), just generic references to depression that show no clarity of thought or reflection on the subject. TF is an extremely complex diaristic concept album about the feeling of wanting to be connected to someone's mind and the inherent difference between two people. ToD is about "I'm sad and a teenager."
I could go on.
>>
>>68626567
It's definitely more dumbed-down but the difference in quality is not as noticable as you make it out to be. I'm like 99% Unforgiving Girl is written that way because he's still salty that Cate Wurtz transitioned, it's a sneak diss senpai.
>>
>>68626689
it's a fucking abysmal song, regardless, and it tarnishes his legacy, and if it is a diss track, the anger doesn't come through, just pettiness. The album is a 1/10 and I won't bend on this.
>>
>>68626815
I liked the album but I see where you're coming from, he wants that Weezer money. What's your favorite song and album? To me it's clearly [spoiler] Overexposed and Nervous Young Man[/spoiler]
>>
>>68626855
Beach Life-in-Death and Twin Fantasy
Overexposed is GREAT tho, never seen any love for it, definitely best track on Monomania, and NYM is a great album
>>
Am I the only one that thinks this is the best Car Seat Headrest album?
>>
>>68627084
production sounds like absolute garbage and but the songwriting is stellar
>>
What a pair of nice shoulders anon.
>>
>>68627084
it's really good but
Twin Fantasy > How to Leave Town > Nervous Young Man > Monomania > My Back is Killing Me Baby > Disjecta Membra > 1 > 3 > 2 > Teens of Style > 4 > Starving While Living > Teens of Denial

still, nice taste c:
>>
>>68627323
>putting number albums higher than teens of denial because muh lo-fi
fuck off
>>
>>68627436
they're all better. They have better songwriting. 1 especially is really interesting. They're a bit hard to get into, but they're all a ton better than that pile of shit, as I have expressed before ITT.
3 has the fantastic "Beach" songs, that are all really sad and give a peek into what would form his best work; 2 has some really rad spacey songs, 4 has some forays into more progressive/long-form composition (though it's definitely the weakest and suffers from the production). I like the sound of lo-fi/noise pop. It's better than generic garage rock.
>>
>>68627498
>there's hissing in the background and he makes it more obvious that he enjoys furry dick so it's better
i actually agreee
>>
>>68627498
Glad someone else digs the numbered albums. When I met Will at P4K I had a short conversation with him and told him I thought they weren't so bad
>>
>>68620211
fucking goddamn how i love your shoulders
>>
>>68626855

>he wants that Weezer money

sadpepe.jpg

I mean there's nothing wrong with pursuing commercial success but...it's just...
>>
>all of this bitching

It's funny how people who know nothing about a musician pretend to know the most.

Will had been saying he wanted to do his next album "poppy" and more streamlined for years. Even before releasing HTL, and way before signing with Matador. Most of the songs in Teens of Denial have been written for a while in fact. It wasn't a new decision or the result of wanting money, it's a project he genuinely wanted to do, and a style he chose on purpose. And still there were songs like Costa Concordia.

Stop crying.
>>
>>68629077
Costa Concordia is fucking garbage. Will is a hack and doesn't make good pop music. I'm annoyed that an artist who had a penetrating style of writing and interesting production has intentionally begun to make bad pop music. I can be angry about that.
>>
>>68629136
It isn't, you're just enjoying your (in your mind) justified hard-on of hate and getting off on that. You bitch about personal songs and then dismiss one of the most personal songs he's ever written.

>has intentionally begun

Jesus Christ, you really know nothing about the guy. You're embarassing.
>>
>>68629170
I don't care how personal the song is, it's a poorly constructed clusterfuck with a poorly placed romantic addressee at the end to attempt to get emotional resonance. It's high-school-level writing, especially the "how was I supposed to..." rambling.
I know what works about his music.
>>
>>68627436
Teens of Denial is pretty fucking shit.
The mainstream music community is praising it to heavens only because they can now that he's signed to Matador.
Now look, look and see a world suck the washed up dick of a once-was man because of his mediocre, mass-appealing easy listening bullshit, yet completely ignore his earlier records that were so full of talent and vigour, that had enough brains to be original an d enough heart to be sincere. Watch as the world shuns away what the media won't praise. What once deserved all the attention Will is receiving now.

He fucking sold out at the worst time. His songwriting has become soulless, the melodies are boring as fuck, and the only people this record will impress are teenagers who haven't listened to Pavement and all the copycats that came before in the 90's.

My Back is Killing Me Baby and Twin Fantasy were fucking fantastic. They were actually interesting and are infinitely more deserving of adoration than this twee rock, vapid tumblr teen shit.

It is fucking shit and anyone who disagrees simply doesn't know better.
Will Barnes you can go to hell.
Oh well I guess now I don't have to give a shit anymore.

Cate was always the better one of the two anyways.
>>
>>68629263
this, thank you
>>
>>68629218
Are you intentionally trying to be a moron? I'm curious.

>poorly placed romantic addressee at the end

Literally at the beginning of the song:

>If I lost your for good, could there have been any other way?
>Was the water filling up for years, or did I wreck it all in a day?

At the middle:

>And God won't forgive me, and you won't forgive me

Yeah, it's just at the end, out of nowhere. You're right!

>I know what works about his music.

You're clearly very uneducated and a fucking retard and the only reason you got so far in this thread is because people were afraid to tell you that. I'm here though.

Will announced this album after completing Nervous Young Man, mainly stating two motivations: 1) To make an album that INTENTIONALLY had simpler, poppier songs and 2) To be able to play those songs live, which is very hard which some of his old material due to how it was constructed. He did the album, he had fun with it, and it happened to coincide with his first official release and be a huge hit.

Everyone complaining has not a single idea about who WIll is or what he plans to do ahead. This is pretty pathetic. I read these threads ever since NYM came out and they're all the same.
>>
>>68629263
his music was never good, he hides behind a shitty moniker based on a really shitty gimmicky way of recording music, and he's a furry/beastiality fetishist
>>
>>68629316
it's a ton of bad ideas slapped together, I don't give a shit if there's a tiny through line in an ocean of bad lyrics. The production and playing on the album is so bad, the bass just does its own thing around 7 minutes in, and the song doesn't progress well or interestingly. I have listened to this guy's music for ages. This is garbage. Some people like garbage.
>>
>>68629316
justify this little gem for me:
"So we got mad and we split the scene
Now we download all of our shit for free
It's the new economy, we have nothing to offer and we sleep on trash"

what is that, other than a childish, petty, corporate jab at people for pirating his music? What does it have to do in this supposedly monolithic, personal, romantic epic?
it only serves to make Will come off as a whining little shit
>>
>>68629404
>I have listened to this guy's music for ages

Congratulations, you have ears. Unfortunately, that single fact makes you qualified for absolutely nothing.

Notice how you're unable to even argue what you think, so you just try to deal with definitives like "OH BUTS ITS BAD, I KNOW, I JUST KNOW"? This is because you were born very dumb, or were possibly dropped on your head by your mother at a very young age.

The song is clearly about a breakup, starts talking about being removed from the joys ("I used to like the mornings") and your partner, and obsessing over it (staying up late because no one calls you to bed, etc), then goes on a confessional about the exact same subject. You're garbage, my friend.

>>68629433
Will on Beach Life-In-Death:

>When they finally found their home
>At Walt Disney Studios
>And then everyone grew up
>With their fundamental schemas fucked
>But there are lots of fish left in the sea
>There are lots of fish in business
>That talk and walk on human feet
>And visit doctors have weak knees

Will on The Gun Song:

>So if you're looking for somebody to blame
>Blame Walt Disney Studios

Literally the same line of jabbing at corporations and the youth he used in his previous albums, in the longer songs. This is how much of a tunnel-vision you have.

Anything else you wanna be wrong on?
>>
>>68629512
is your reading comprehension bad, friendo?
>So if you're looking for somebody to blame
>Blame Walt Disney Studios
that is exactly the opposite of what I'm complaining about (and a totally fine line); the sleeping on trash is lashing out against the current music landscape because of digital distribution of music devaluating his work, so he just makes this pissy line to garner sympathy.
>>
>>68625821
here i fixed it for you

sober to death > sober to death > sober to death > sober to death > sober to death > sober to death > sober to death > sober to death > sober to death > sober to death
>>
>>68629573
Actually not, because all of his albums so far have been released for free (I think Monomania recently went free as well) and Will has said on Tumblr that he doesn't mind, and in fact encourages, that people spread his music around, on Youtube for example.

Thing is, the album is called "Teens of Denial" and is full of jabs at teenagers and their culture, literally pretty much ending at

>And we're never, no we're never gonna get a job
>No, we're never, no we're never gonna get a job
>Fuck off, teens

Are you seriously talking about comprehension, you retarded, cum-guzzling monkey?
>>
>>68629631
I don't care what Will said, I'm talking about the music he created. On that song, he is bitching about the music scene. He sounds like a dick. Regardless of what he does, that's what exists in the song.
At least I'm not resorting to childish insults.
>>
>>68629631
tfw ddkw and and drugs with friends are the ones the normies get the most excited about at shows
>>
imagine caring this fucking much about indie rock you guys are such squares
>>
File: image6.jpg (85KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image6.jpg
85KB, 640x480px
>>68629697
delete this immediately
>>
>>68629664
>no argument at all

That's very nice. Do you want to stop posting and go cry in the corner?

You were literally proven wrong by his ACTIONS.

>>68629679
Misinterpreted, DD/KW is actually about growing up and not doing that shit anymore, and Drugs With Friends is also very acid against teens and their drug culture.

The album is perfectly executed because it accomplises everything it sets out to do. That's the beauty of it.

Will said after NYM that he wanted to do a "farewell" album to his old style, make it poppy, and make it simpler. He also said it was gonna be his angriest yet. It's essentially about not being a teenager anymore.

In it he rejects every facet of teenage culture available, disses partying, getting drunk and high, being worthless and doing nothing (things he himself has written about been guilty of), and ends telling teenagers to go fuck themselves. He accepts he's not a teen anymore.
>>
>>68629769
actions do not MATTER. I care about the music, the persona he knits within the songs, and that could be completely different from what he does in real life. You have to separate the two to some extent, or at least understand that you cannot justify his writing solely because he contradicts it by his actions.
>>
>>68629809
I like how you're ignoring the fact that the entire album is built around hating teenage culture to justify your argument regarding one part of one song you entirely misinterpreted because you have nothing else to say.

You're pathetic and worthless, my friend.
>>
>>68626269
what the fuck andrew is a work of art and ethan is a monster on both bass and guitar are you sure we've been listening to the same band
>>
>>68629866
Andrew is legitimately the worst drummer I have ever heard. Sorry.
>>
>>68629851
eh, I'm not the one passing off an overlong bargain-bin indie rock record as a fantastic work of art
my self-worth is doing pretty well
>>
>>68629967
>I have no facts, b-but at least I'm not you!!!

I have never seen someone feel superior because they have an opinion based on nothing that is proved wrong by factual information.

You're either very young or a woman.
>>
>>68630008
facts about the artist's personal life don't matter (when will you grow out of this?), I have made plenty of aesthetic judgments throughout this thread, you apparently don't see those as arguments, but whatever.
>>
>>68630072
Actually you claimed he changed, which is wrong, because this was written after NYM.

Apparently he also "dumbed down," which is wrong, because he set out to do pop songs specifically for one single album (a completely understandable position once you realize, for example, he's a huge fan of the Beach Boys).

You claimed Costa Concordia had romance out of nowhere, which was proven wrong, and you couldn't respond.

You claimed he was bitching about piracy, when he gives his music for free.

You completely ignored the thematic context of the album.

You only speak in general terms such as "it's garbage," "it's poorly constructed," "it's the worst."

You are one of the dumbest people I've ever seen. I hope you feel humilliated by how out of your depth you are here. Go educate yourself on everything before you decide to have an opinion again. There is no prize for being ignorant.

Most of all, feel free to stop posting these abortions.
>>
>>68630162
get em
>>
File: ZPooDfQ0.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ZPooDfQ0.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>68620148
yes

this album, yezz, this album will make you feel bro, this album 10 feels/10 feels

>stop smoking
>we love you

BEACH LIFE IN DEATH IS GOD TIER TRACK
>>
>>68630162
Well I don't feel out of my depth, and I am not humiliated because I don't think this album is any good. I hope you feel better by flinging insults and owning people in 'arguments'
;3
>>
>>68630373
>new IP
>admits he was owned

Lmao
>>
>>68629263
This is copy pasta but it is not without good points
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.