[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it about the music of Swans that you enjoy so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

What is it about the music of Swans that you enjoy so much?
>>
>>68613113
Nothing. I don't.
>>
I like drones and slow builds and noisy crescendos, and that's basically their last 3 albums in a nutshell.
>>
I like music made by rapists
>>
Their music is the logical conclusion to Western music's exploration of tonality.
>>
I never could get into swans until I saw them live. The music is so abrasive and loud that you sweat hard while standing. They are pretty masterful at playing around with tension and swelling at just the right moment. You feel like you're in a trance. After going to the show, the albums clicked, but before I couldn't stand them. I had a similar experience with sunn o)) as well
>>
>>68613259
You asked what it is about the music I enjoy so much. I told you I do not enjoy the music. Who's the real retard here, retard?
>>
>>68613199
explain
not trolling i'm interested
>>
>>68613310
ohh i see, so is like jazz music, it's a live experience you can't record that, i can't get into swans either so i guess that's it for me, they're never coming to my country
>>
>>68614370
I honestly don't know, I saw someone here say something like that about their latest album and it sounded vaguely impressive.
>>
>>68614456
lmao thank you for your honest answer
>>
>>68613113
How do I explain that beyond "It sounds good to me"?
>>
>>68614456
>/mu/ everyone
>>
>>68614456

lol this made me laugh a lot
>>
>>68614317
>You asked what it is about the music I enjoy so much.
Exactly. Which obviously implies that you do enjoy it. If you don't the question clearly doesn't concern you.

Retard.
>>
>>68613113

There's something really cinematic about their use of repitition and brute sonic force. It really sucks you into this weird state of mind if you're able to really just focus on the music to the point almost zoning out.

I think the appeal with a lot of repetitive music comes from this feeling, and a lot of religious music explores the use of repetition for this reason (gregorian/buddhist chanting, gamelan music, throat singing, general ceremony music, etc.)

This combined with the often profound and cryptic lyrics makes swans come off as a really spiritual band.
>>
>>68614767
that's a good explanation, thanks anon
>>
>>68613310
Somewhat similar experience with me as well.
I thought The Seer was an alright record but then seeing them performing their recent material in a live setting had a far larger impact and made me appreciate it more afterward.
I still reckon they're better as a live band than studio.
>>
>>68613168
Pretty much this.
>>
I only like them pre breakup. Neo swans is pretty generic. First four albums are literally so good
>>
their live performance
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.