[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best thing this man has ever done?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: V9U8PSwj.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
V9U8PSwj.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
What is the best thing this man has ever done?
>>
the silence incbetween his shit prog songs
>>
Hand. Cannot. Erase.

While I know most will disagree, I'd pick Fear of Blank as second choice or Grace For Drowning
>>
Wild Opera as No-Man
The Sky Moves Sideways as Porcupine Tree
The Raven That Refused to Sing as a solo artist

I haven't listened to his other projects, but it seems like he really tapered off a fair bit after 2000 or so.
>>
Schoolyard Ghosts
>>
File: Skylarking.jpg (105KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Skylarking.jpg
105KB, 400x400px
>>68612823
The remaster of Skylarking
(check it out lads!)
>>
>>68612947
But I already own the 2014 Andy Patridge remaster.
>>
>>68612849
>>68612904
>>68612919
>>68612947
No guys, come on its In Absentia
>>
Blackfield
>>
>>68613042
>tfw new blackfield next year
will they deliver, guys?

>>68613003
I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but I find In Absentia way mediocre in comparision with his solo stuff or Signifiy, Deadwing, Stupid Dream
>>
>>68612823
Lightblub Sun or deadwing
>>
>>68612823
stop touring and stop writing in music. those few moments are the true perfection of this man.
>>
is any of his work with that muslim guy good? Ihaven't heard any of it
>>
>>68612823
>What is the best thing this man has ever done?
Hired Guthrie Govan
>>
>>68612823
Started posting his playlists online.
>>
>>68612823
For me it's gotta be pic related. Early Porcupine Tree is so underrated.

>>68612848
>>68613275
haha :D

>>68612849
I was rather disappointed with HCE. Gotta be his worst solo record after GfD. (Insurgentes is his best solo album)

>>68612919
Definitely the best No-Man album. In fact, it's the only No-Man album I like.

>>68613003
The first half of In Absentia is great but it loses steam after "Prodigal".

>>68613134
>will they deliver, guys?
SW said it's gonna be their best.

>>68613185
Lightbulb Sun is weaker version of Stupid Dream.
Deadwing is a weaker version of Fear of a Blank Planet.
>>
Some moments on that mix he did of Close to the Edge in 2013, but there were a lot of moments he fucked up, like the intro to and You and I. The original has a faint electronic drone being played by Rick Wakeman somewhere in the distance. It's very subtle but very effective. On the mix he did that's completely gone. Also the church organ does sound more full on his 2013 mix, but I always thought the kind of thinness the original had created an interesting contrast when those thick moog notes kick in, though that's just a matter of preference I guess.
>>
>>68613443
>SW said it's gonna be their best.
Is he planning on being more involved this time, then?

AFAIK he stopped contributing to songwriting after Blackfield II, which was why it turned to shit.
>>
>>68613443
The Ballads on In Absentia are the best tracks
>>
I love his music, but jesus is this guy a pompous prick. Arjen Lucassen invited him to provide guest vocals on an Ayreon album, he turned it down because the music is "too old-fashioned". This is coming from a guy who has put out multiple 70s prog worship albums.

He's also dismissed all modern progressive bands as being a waste because the music has already been done by the greats, so why imitate it. The cognitive dissonance is strong with this one.
>>
File: CrtRevWXgAAmI-W (1).jpg (75KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
CrtRevWXgAAmI-W (1).jpg
75KB, 1024x683px
>>68613499
Yes. Hopefully he did more than just sitting on the couch.
>>
>>68613541
You mean Trains, Lips of Ashes and Heartattack in a Layby? I have to agree.
>>
>>68613299
rolling his best solo song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxZkNjKsic
spoiler: is not him on guitar
>>
>>68613443
Oh I see you are just turned off by ."3" and its weird title. I was like that too until I decided to listen through the whole song and see that it is a very solid track, and then the rest album is still great after that. Also you leaving out The Creator Has A Mastertape which is a one of the top tracks on the album...because of the atmosphere, interesting lyrics and experience, and steady drumbeat, a solid guitar riff...
>>
>>68613621
there's some good stuff on Insurgentes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxmlhcl4ug
>>
>>68613618
Don't forget Collapse the Light into Earth
>>
>>68613621
i mean blackfield
>>
>>68613639
I like ".3", but I view it as an interlude between Prodigal and The Creator... (even though it's 5:25 minutes long). It just has that feel to it.
>>
>>68613649
>back in 2008 i bought it because it thought it had spanish lyrics
>it was just the track names
>wtf he cheated me in the same way than coldplay
>>
>>68613664
Blackfield is with a jew, know your semites, dude!
>>
>>68613618
Coooollaaapse
>>
>>68613659
>>68613766
I rarely make that far into the album...
>>
>>68613443
I loved Hand. Cannot. Erase. The concept was really well executed imo. The only drawback I have with it is the recording, which I feel was poorly conducted and subsequently somewhat poorly mixed.
>>
>>68613832
Funny, HCE is his last album I woud call "poorly mixed". Yes, it's a little overpolished but every sound just feels so rich.
>>
File: Porcupine Tree - Signify.jpg (78KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Porcupine Tree - Signify.jpg
78KB, 512x512px
>>68612823
tfw no one's mentioned the actual best thing he's ever done yet
>>
>>68613782
Yeah me too. But that was because I remember reading a review on the album saying that the last track was a Coldplay cover, so I hardly ever bothered listening to that track. (I guess he meant it sounded like Coldplay). But yeah it is a real great track still the times I did hear it but fug I kind of view that track as the Coldplay cover sill, (I was young when I read the review) I would say yeah the album is even better knowing that it is a original song. So yeah the best for me.
>>
>>68613966
This is such an underrated little album. I really like the krautrock influence on certain tracks. (AKA how they ripped of Neu!) See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVHkO_uT95E
>>
>>68613717
oh sry
>>
>>68613916
Perhaps not poorly mixed but I just feel that while it is overpolished, many of the recordings sound like really well-arranged and well-performed demos. Some songs sound like studio sessions, albeit very well crafted, but not official recordings.
>>
>>68614049

Oh, I know what you mean, I've noticed something like that too. But that's exactly what I like about the mix. Can't say the same thing about the concept. Steven was never a poet but I find most of the lyrics here bad even by his standards. That little callback to "Trains" in "Happy Returns" is so cheesy.
>>
>>68613966
Dark Matter is God Tier
Sleep of No dreaming and both phases of Waiting are great too
>>
File: Mucord 5443b(pp).jpg (26KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Mucord 5443b(pp).jpg
26KB, 350x350px
>>68612823
COME JOIN THE /MU/ DISCORD AND DISCUSS MUSIC WITH US!!

https://discord.gg/SDUSVbx

we mostly discuss music or anything that comes to our mind
want to shill your album? well we have a channel for that!
want to find new interesting music? we have a channel for that!
what about memes? We have a channel for that too!
we have channels that will suit your needs
we have an amazing community and you should join it!
>>
>>68614416
>Dark Matter is God Tier
>Sleep of No dreaming and both phases of Waiting are great too
>Not Idiot Prayer
>>
File: folder.jpg (139KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
139KB, 894x894px
>>
>>68613595

Does he even own a pair of shoes?
>>
The best thing Steven Wilson has ever done was the guitar solo on Drive Home

And that was Guthrie Govan
>>
>>68612823
In Utero
>>
>>68612823
Ruining Opeth forever. None of his sad songs about teenage love are as dramatic and glorious as Opeth fans' tears over how bad they are right now.
>>
The best thing Steven Wilson has ever done was the main riff of Blackest Eyes

And that was a gift of Mikael Ã…kerfeldt for his birthday
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.