[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Music Theory?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_9627.jpg (123KB, 614x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9627.jpg
123KB, 614x360px
What's the final word on music theory? Is it a necessity, or a cruel meme?
>>
Neither.
>>
It's like the maths. Somewhen it can help you
>>
>>68609270

>somewhen
>>
File: 1.png (8KB, 664x233px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
8KB, 664x233px
>>68609326
>>
>>68609679
>informal
Nigga, this is 4chan, not yo momma's house.
>>
>>68609178
Necessary for what?
>>
it's dumb and useless
>>
>>68609178
Nothing is "necessary" either you learn it if you want to or you don't
>>
>>68610073
Looks like someone couldn't understand theory.
pleb
>>
>>68609178
There are a lot of people who reject it either out of laziness or incompetence. Lazy people reject it because they won't put the effort into learning it, then rationalize their laziness with faulty criticisms of theory. Incompetent people reject it because they dabbled with theory and then felt "restricted" because they could only think of "theory correct" things, basically rejection built on a fundamental misunderstanding of theory.

Anyone who spends enough time learning theory sees it for what it is: a useful tool for composing and communicating music, instead of rules and restrictions. Maybe that's a fault of how it's taught in classes.
>>
>>68610595
Basically this. If you don't know theory your only option is to fuck around on an instrument until you stumble upon something that sounds good. If you know theory you can still do that, or you can use the theory to work out parts that will sound good. It's also a lot harder to develop existing parts without theory, and also a pain in the ass to write parts for multiple instruments. Basically, you lose nothing by losing theory, so its best to learn it.
>>
I don't get why people who love music DONT love theory. Analyzing music that you enjoy and finding out why you love it is a lot of fun.
>>
If you wanna be a godly musician learning theory won't help. You could work on your ear training so you can play anything by ear. That's a skill that defines the mathematicians from the artists.
>>
>>68611147
But ear training is part of theory

Hearing certain intervals more than others just reinforces theory concepts

When will people learn that it's prescriptive, not descriptive? This is a serious misconception
>>
>>68609178
It's a meme.
>>
Theory is a very broad term so idk what to tell you.

There is nothing you "Need" to do to play music. A lot will come intuitively to you with hands on experience because you've probably heard a lot of music before, so you could recognize when things sound unsatisfying or when they sound like shit. Music has rules that can be understood. There are a lot of famous musicians who can't even read music. Theory tells you a lot of things that you would never be able to think of that way though.
>>
if you buy a guitar and really analyse how it works you will learn theory anyway
>>
is this the temporary /comp/?
>>
>>68612350

lol
>>
>>68609178
It's fun.
>>
>>68609716
Kek
>>
File: 1476435397821.gif (969KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
1476435397821.gif
969KB, 500x346px
what are some good books/ documentaries for getting into music theory?
>>
>>68609178
it's s meme
>>
>>68609178
Learn it, don't listen to the incompetent retards.
It will only help you to develop your ideas in every possible way.
>>
>>68610639
I totally agree. However i have to say i had a moment when i would abuse cadence and make every chord a 7th or 9th chord just because. So theory can trap you in a certain way of thinking, but in most cases it saves you time trying every single sound because you already know what will sound good.
>>
I have a question...
If i was given a song that was written in a given key signature, how can i change it to a different key signature?
>>
>>68614298
Theory is theory, if you get trapped or whatever you are the only one to blame. :^)
>>
>>68614331
Transpose it.
>>
File: Mucord 5443b(pp).jpg (26KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Mucord 5443b(pp).jpg
26KB, 350x350px
>>68609178
COME JOIN THE /MU/ DISCORD AND DISCUSS MUSIC WITH US!!

https://discord.gg/SDUSVbx

we mostly discuss music or anything that comes to our mind
want to shill your album? well we have a channel for that!
want to find new interesting music? we have a channel for that!
what about memes? We have a channel for that too!
we have channels that will suit your needs
we have an amazing community and you should join it!
>>
>>68614382
Oh, of course. I eventually moved past it. my point is that it could be a potential (and a temporary) minor (ha) bump, but other than that there's no reason not to learn the theory.
>>
How do you transpose music?
>>
music theory is just made up. Use actual mathematics and stochastics instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqeM0x6AWgg
>>
>>68614585
ok so say you're in the key of C major and you want to transpose to A major. The note A is a minor third down from C, or 3 half-steps. So you transpose every note in the song down 3 half-steps.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.