[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the appeal of vaporwave?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (257KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
257KB, 1200x1200px
Not a troll post I swear.

What's the appeal? Is it supposed to be depressing? Hauntingly nostalgic? Who is the target demographic, since it's obviously not ""normies"" What's the message? Where would I go IRL to listen to this music played? Is this an Internet only genre? What type of people are drawn to vaporwave?? (in b4 edgy teenagers or whatever shitpost)
>>
>>68591125
Aesthetics. Duh.
>>
>>68591125
What do you think about vaporware? That will help us answer your questions
>>
>>68591125
It is the definition of a meme genre
>>
>>68591244
and people like memes
>>
>>68591125
It's something you put on at night, or on a rainy day if you want something that can be beautiful but uneasy feeling at the same time, yes, hauntingly nostalgic
>>
Ambient background music
>>
>Where would I go IRL to listen to this music played
Elevators and malls which play cheesy 80's music. But you'd only have to slow it down.
>>
>>68591312
damn......
>>
File: B O W L I N G.jpg (129KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
B O W L I N G.jpg
129KB, 500x500px
>>68591125
A mix of nostalgia and (for me more so, as I was very young in the 90's) genuinely enjoying things with an 80's/90's contemporary theme
>>
>>68591125
It's "art school kids discover postmodernism and irony and avant-garde and think they're fucking clever"-core
>>
>>68591125
The erratic plunderphonic rearrangment. There are parts of Floral Shoppe that are like mathrock
>>
I moved from a small town to a big city earlier this month and it's literally all I've been listening to last few weeks. It's like a soundtrack for decaying, concrete, artificial and cold urban environment.
>>
It's like slightly catchy ambient/background music. Good environment for listening is a Friday night at home alone smoking weed playing video games.

Just have it on kinda quietly in the background
>>
Something based on nostalgia for a time a bit less frenetic than the actual. Also it's meme worthyness leaked into the mainstream, isn't a underground genere now I think. Some of Dream Catalogue releases are sick tho.
>>
>>68591221
I don't know. When I listen to vaporwave I'm reminded of back when I was a kid playing n64 and listening to my parents disco/jazz all the time in their car. Listening to vaporwave is like looking at those times through a modern lens , a lens that has been corrupted cynicism, the inevitable hardships and uncomfortable trtuths of adulthood. It's relaxing and haunting at the same time. Honestly it makes me feel like I'm already dead listening to it.
>>
>>68591244
exactly.
>>
File: kmart[1].jpg (66KB, 616x381px) Image search: [Google]
kmart[1].jpg
66KB, 616x381px
tfw local kmart is closing for good :_;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGd2EYCZJh8
>>
>>68591125
Xanax

Vaporwave is top comfy tier in the winter too
>>
>>68591125
For me it's just different. It sounds normal and weird as hell at the same time. It's soothing for some odd reason. I have listened to vaporwave and it's subs for over 8 hrs at a time, multiple times. It's something you can focus on, but check out when you want or need to. I haven't found another form of music that I can listen to for that long. I honestly could listen to 420 repeated for hours on end and wouldn't get tired of it.
>>
>>68594758
same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE
idk how he did it but there's just something about that song
>>
>>68591999

ya but people didn't catch on to that and now vaporwave exists entirely in 14 year olds slowing down their dads records
>>
>>68594904
you're simply wrong. you have lost interest so you haven't searched for actual good vaporwave.
>>
Is there a difference between retrowave and vaporwave?
>>
>>68595107
vaporwave has more glitch elements and has a certain atmosphere/aesthetic/sound to it. thats it.
>>
It's for Hipsters with borrowed nostalgia for the 80's who buy cassettes and watch back to the future II on VHS in their mums basement whilst they wank over their waifu Andy mcdowell.
>>
>>68595128
Thanks for the clarification. I just discovered retrowave a few days ago while I was jamming to old movie soundtracks.

Follow up question:
I-is it really hipster music?
>>
>>68595191
its one of the more popular "new genres" of music so of course /mu/ has to pretend not to like it even though they themselves had a hand in on it's creation. there are vocal fans that take it too far and literally try to meme it into every facet of their life but that happens with everything.
>>
For me, it's like recycling which I like the idea of. Instead of remixes which mostly just sound like a shitty copy of a song, vaporwave in able to take a song and completely reuse it
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.