[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nu-Metal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: 78JQrIAo.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
78JQrIAo.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
Childhood is loving nu-metal and seeing no flaws in it

Teenagehood is thinking you're "above it"

Adulthood is realizing how great it was despite it's flaws
>>
Nu-metal was the nadir of late 20th century American youth culture.
I can't think of many genres or movements in music that are entirely irredeemable, but nu-metal is definitely one of them.
>>
teenagehood is growing out of metal

adulthood is never thinking about metal
>>
>>68588815
this
>>
>>68588815

meme rap
>>
>>68588815

SOAD has some decent songs and Deftones is good
nu-metal isnt very good otherwise
>>
oh god stop making nu metal threads you'll start a revival
>>
File: Pitchfork 2009 to 2015.png (1MB, 1007x1976px) Image search: [Google]
Pitchfork 2009 to 2015.png
1MB, 1007x1976px
But ((((Pitchfork)))) told me only black music is cool :^(
>>
who /got into it a few months ago, hated it as a child or a teenager, or at least ignored it/ here?

>>68588815
but that's the opposite of true. you had your trapts and ademas that watered the style down, even bands that were interesting did that later in their careers, but all of the notable bands were great, aswell as distinct

>>68588925
can't wait for that. the genre was so short-lived for being so distinct and for such a potential to expand. oh well, there's still Twelve Foot Ninja
>>
How can you listen to this shit in 2016 and not want to smoke crack out of your dick
>>
>>68588748
>Adulthood is realizing how great it was despite it's flaws
more like nostalgia hard, and think things are better than they are.
>>
>>68588837
Teenage hood is listening to genres.
Adulthood is listening to music.
>>
>>68588978
Yeah dude you cracked the code. It was the Jews that made rap music popular. you're a fucking visionary
>>
>>68588748
Agreed. Dunno if it's just like, pure nostalgia but I can still go back and listen to white pony, meteora and toxicity over and over
>>
>>68588815
this
every aspect of the nu-metal subculture or whatever you'd like to call it always inspired a really intense sort of revulsion in me

the wigger clothing, the pathetic teen angst lyrics, the signature downtuned guitar sounds of the genre, all that shit just felt so trashy and idiotic to me

you really have to be totally bereft of taste to find value in that shit

either that or you have to be daniel lopatin
>>
>>68589180
It literally was though.
>>
>>68589241
It was a movement like any other. You ever go back and listen to first wave punk? the lyrics fucking suck. The clothing was tacky as fuck. There's merits and demerits to all of it, my guy. quit being so pretentious and bump some fucking breaking the habit
>>
>>68589261
I'm sorry, do you really expect to be taken seriously
culture moves in waves, right now rap is the wave, rock is stagnating. to blame it on the Jews is not only stupid but ignorant of how music changes and evolves over time.
>>
>>68588815
basically what death grips is to today's youth
>>
>>68588925
Death Grips already started the revival my man
>>
>>68589384
god I love the backtracking /mu/ has done on DG, it's so obvious it's just because of them attaining normie meme status and has nothing to do with their music
>>
>>68589319
yeah but punk gets a pass since the majority of the early bands were pretty self-aware and had a sense of humor about what they were doing and about their limitations, not to mention that at least initially it was a genuine grassroots cultural movement as opposed to another pop industry product
you can't really compare the damned or siouxsie and the banshees to korn and limp bizkit

nu-metal was neither self-aware nor did it come from an organic youth development.
it was a pushed product from the get-go and it was pushed by labels and industry figures which were counting on it resonating with an audience that was so naive and so underdeveloped in their tastes that nu-metal would resonate with them.
as i said, that sort of shit just grosses me out. it's as worthless of a genre as post-grunge in my books.
>>
>>68589434
if you read the thread, is basically what happened with numetal, thinking otherwise is being naive or in denial

and i like death grips
>>
>>68589487
>is basically what happened with numetal

not really, nu-metal was seen as juvenile dreck from day one
it never had any hip status to it or whatever, it was one of the least cool things going in the 90s/early 2000s
>>
>>68589463
>Siouxie and the banshees
>The damned
>First-wave punk
there's not a lot other places for this argument to go, you're just gonna accept the meme that nu metal is a completely garbage genre without considering the music and instead looking at this thing as if you can't just separate some silly, stupid fun music like Korn or papa roach because it's apart of some sort of giant conspiracy to "push a product" or whatever
>>
>>68589542
Depends on where you're looking. critically, yes.
>>
>>68589463
>nu-metal was neither self-aware nor did it come from an organic youth development.
neither of those actually make any sort of difference, and "bad taste" is a meme.
>>
>>68589612
>Siouxie and the banshees
>The damned
>First-wave punk

yeah?
the banshees didn't record a proper album during their primitive early punk years, but they're one of the OG UK punk bands nonetheless

>giant conspiracy to "push a product"

lel there's nothing conspiratorial about it, pushing product by aiming it at a specific demographic(in nu-metal's case at clueless white teenagers) is how the music industry(and any other industry) works
>>
>>68589661
they make a difference between nu-metal and first-wave punk
>>
>>68589542
not all bands started big m8, there was a hip scene developing in the mid 90s before it exploded everywhere

times change, we changed one media by another, the oversaturation and overall prostitution of numetal by mtv and such is basically what we see on pitchfork and facebook with death grips today.
>>
>>68589463
>it was a pushed product from the get-go
and sex pistols wasnt?
>>
>>68589719
but nu-metal owes a lot of its success to MTV and MTV support was something that the bands entirely embraced
>>
>>68589801
the sex pistols weren't the only punk band
>>
>>68589858
MTV embraced everything back then, not just pop music. Rap, electronic, rock, metal, indie.
>>
>>68589858
yes, because defending muh trve underground scene is actually dumb as fuck
>>
>>68589884
doesnt stop people from refering them as the source of the punk explosion, the punk movement was the result of a graphic designer who saw ramones and decided he wanted to manage such a band and slapped together a bunch of nitwits based on their personalities alone.

At least Nu Metal started as a independent movement but got hijacked on the way, Punk, despite it's anti corporative anti capitalistick shtick, was a product from the onset.

>inb4 Sex pistols wasnt the first punk band
yeah sure, but nobody cared about punk before they came on the scene.
>>
>>68589897
as long as it was marketable and had some degree of mass appeal, yeah
the days when you'd have thurston moore talking about japanese noise or the fall performing live on 120 minutes were long gone by the time nu-metal became a thing though.
the post-grunge "alternative music" landscape was vastly different and much more commerce-driven than the late 80s/early 90s period

>>68589900
maybe, but that still throws the idea of nu-metal being something that was just exploited and prostituted by MTV and cynical major labels out of the water
MTV and cynical major labels were what created it in the first place
>>
>>68588837
>>68589164
Fucking cringe

Listening to genres then just music hahaha gross
>>
>>68589858
>>68590016
That is true, but MTV didn't invent those bands, they just gave them exposure.

People today think MTV wasn't hip or that it was dated, but every artist wanted their videos to air on them, including Sonic Youth, Clipse, Dinosaur Jr, David Bowie, GZA, Bob Mould, Outkast,etc. And we're talking mid 90s/early 00s.

If you're discarding a genre/band for adquiring fame through certain media, you need to remember death grips got their exposure thanks to pitchfork and /mu/.
>>
>>68589992
the sex pistols were a capitalization on an existing movement, they weren't the source of that movement.
and if the sex pistols weren't around some other band would have taken their place as far as prominence went. there was plenty of strong personalities in that mid-70s punk scene, both in the UK and the US.

>At least Nu Metal started as a independent movement

how? major labels sweeped those bands up almost immediately and they were all extremely willing and eager to get swept up
deftones shot their cameo appearance in that shitty sequel to the crow before their first album was even out, for fuck's sake
limp bizkit's label bribed radio stations to play their songs on the air after their first album came out and the band had no problems with it
>>
>>68590109
>That is true, but MTV didn't invent those bands, they just gave them exposure.

depends on how much they could profit from pushing a band. certain bands definitely owe more of their success to MTV than others.
marilyn manson and korn videos and songs had a far better chance of making an impression a major audience than godflesh or guided by voices, so they were naturally pushed and supported a lot more.
>>
>>68590183
>major labels sweeped those bands up almost immediately
It took almost 4 years until Deftones got signed, not to mention that kinda was the normative of every band/artist back then, to get signed. Hell, it still is, iirc death grips got signed by Epic.

>>68590335
But what's the point? Having exposure on mtv back then is the same as having exposure on pitchfork/youtube/facebook.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.