[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/BLINDFOLD TEST/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 16

Welcome to the weekly /mu/ jazz Blindfold Test thread. Every Friday and Saturday.

If you're new, the point of these threads is to have fun and encourage critical listening, discussion, and general enjoyment of jazz. All critical music listeners are welcome. The more participation we have, the more fun and successful these threads will be. In the interest of keeping the thread alive and bumped, any general jazz discussion is welcomed here as well.

For more information about how the threads work and listening suggestions, please refer to the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/UiCCG28N

THIS WEEK'S THEME: Vocal Jazz
COMPILED BY: Jazzpossu

NEXT WEEK: ???
COMPILED BY: ???

If you missed last week's thread, DON'T WORRY. It's not too late. Here are the links for the mystery tracklist. Download the tracks, record your thoughts/guesses/evaluations for each one, and then come back and post them in the thread. Remember, people will be posting guesses and thoughts in this thread so don't read the thread until you have listened to the music and collected your thoughts in order to avoid spoilers. Track info for this week's tracks will be posted on Saturday, so if you see the thread is close to dying before then, give it a bump.

http://www93.zippyshare.com/v/NuaaUKJN/file.html

Posting with names or tripcodes is encouraged as it makes discussion much easier.
>>
anon with the shitty audio quality piano here, can I post a short 3 min clip of my jazz playing for critique?
>>
>>68586663

I don't see why not. Better wait until jtg is around for best results, though. I'm sure he'll be around in the next couple of hours.
>>
>>68586695

Here it is, it's a jazz rendition of Yiruma -Chacconne. https://clyp.it/tfygfm5d

Is it any bad? Does it feel like 'jazz'?
>>
speak of the devil...

>Track 1
I don’t think I know the tune… I’d assume it’s called Once Upon a Summer Time. I don’t know if I recognize the singer either. She’s got sort of a cutesy voice. It reminds me of the kind of thing in old movies where an actress sings a little piece. The melody almost reminds me of a classical piece or something… not sure what though. Mostly it reminds me of 1950’s cinema.

>Track 2
Not a language I recognize. I’m guessing it’s a Scandinavian language since Jazzpossu put it together. Kind of Ella Fitzgerald inspired. The arrangement sounds like a Nelson Riddle/Frank Sinatra kind of thing, although the drumming is not as good I think. Yeah the overall form of the thing is basically like a Frank Sinatra track. Fine singing.

>Track 3
French. I guess I don’t really get the vocal style. Maybe it works a little better if you understand the lyrics. It’s sort of out of time and with no real pitch to it. The instrumental solos are pretty vanilla and uninteresting. I didn’t really get it.

>Track 4
I liked the horn intro but then it goes into a sort of basic RnB blues thing. The vocals don’t really do much for me but the arrangement gets more interesting as it goes and more horns come in.
>>
>>68586990
>Track 5
This one was kind of interesting. It’s sort of an interesting poem. I wonder if much of it is improvised. She keeps coming back to the Baltimore part. I’d guess the flute part is improvised though. This one might be my favorite of the week so far.

>Track 6
More French. More oddly affected vocal delivery. The dissonance from the horns is kind of interesting. It’s almost got an Eastern-influenced sound. Without knowing French the vocals become kind of uninteresting after the very beginning. The trumpet becomes a lot more the focus of attention, then some unusual woodwinds all kind of take over.

>Track 7
This is the kind of vocal jazz I like. I’d guess this is Chick Corea maybe. This doesn’t sound like Flora Purim though who I’d expect to be singing if it were Chick. Very nice piano solo and I like the delivery of the vocals. Rhythm section is also nice.

>Track 8
The time feel of the pianist is not great. The whole thing just feels shaky. I don’t really like this sort of black throaty vocal delivery. It feels so 70’s and I don’t think anybody has really done that sound after that so it sounds pretty dated. It’s reminds me of Godspell or something. I like the instrumental section in the middle- the feel they’re going for, though the rhythm section’s time is very weird. The saxophonist and trumpet player seemed like they had some interesting stuff to say but I don’t know what the rhythm section was doing.
>>
>>68587015
>Track 9
Red Clay. I don’t know if I’ve heard these lyrics before. They definitely sound like they were written after-the-fact which I think usually doesn’t work that well. The trumpet player lets loose though. Damn. Definitely not Freddie but maybe Tom Harrell? Oh is this Mark Murphy? I’ve heard some of his records and he does this kind of stuff. I like most of his stuff I’ve heard a little bit better than this I think. Al Jarreau does this style better.

>Track 10
Caravan. I’m pretty sure this is Cyrille Aimee. This must be from her record that she did with all the guitar players. I like this version quite a bit. Great flamenco style playing at an impressive speed. I like what she does with the melody too.

>Final Thoughts
there was a fair amount of stuff on here that I don’t really know if I’d really call it “vocal jazz.” But I’ve always been kind of weird about that term and I guess it’s really just splitting hairs. I’d liked to have heard more singers improvising.
>>
>>68586748
>https://clyp.it/tfygfm5d
Harmonically it sounds pretty good, but the time is all over the place. Is it in a weird time signature?
>>
>>68586748

well, there's certainly a strong amateurish quality to it :)

I'm sure jtg will have some actually useful tips as he's actually qualified to teach people how to play jazz piano, but to me it sounds like you don't have the material down well enough and the rhythm doesn't feel fluid enough, but with those harmonies I can imagine a very nice jazzy version of this.

I suggest getting really familiar with the tune and just taking it easy and make it flow in a more natural way and go from there.

I wasn't familiar with Yiruma, so I checked out the original - has that certain feel to me that I find pretty often with Asian pianists where you get the feeling that they've had a pretty strong classical education. There's a local pianist called Iiro Rantala who I've had on these blindfold-lists multiple times who often has that same feel that makes his music sound like some Japaneses movie soundtrack to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W2-3oWWIXs
>>
>>68587119
>but the time is all over the place

Yeah I will admit that is largely due to me trying to rush the entire piece, I wanted a really 'rushed' feel instead of the usual fast swing. Not sure how I'm going to pull that off though.

>>68587122
>but to me it sounds like you don't have the material down well enough and the rhythm doesn't feel fluid enough

So I should work more on the rhythm? I must admit rhythm is my greatness weakness.. What about the choice of notes, harmonies, are they okay?
>>
>>68586990

>Track 2
Oh it's someone I'm sure you've heard sing before and can probably even guess based on that.

>>68587015
>Track 5
Not the original performance or performer of this, but it's pretty different from the original that's more of a straightforward blues.

>Track 7
You are most certainly in the ballpark here. When I first heard this without knowing the line-up, I just assumed it was Chick on Rhodes, but it's someone else who doesn't usually sound like Chick as much.

>>68587036
>Track 9
It is indeed Mark Murphy -.agreed on vocalese (i.e. vocal versions of tunes originally written as instrumentals) having generally pretty questionable lyrics. Agreed on the trumpet playing being strong - not Tom Harrell, though.

>Track 10
That would be correct.
>>
>>68587036
>Final

I have to say that beyond the classic scat masters like Satchmo and Ella who I wanted to avoid since we've had them on blindfolds before, I don't really listen to a lot of jazz with good vocal improvisation that wouldn't sound like a rehash of the classics - I'm certainly open to suggestions on that front - this one was certainly foremost a list of tracks with vocals that I find interesting in some way or another.
>>
>>68587411
>not Tom Harrell, though.
Ah. Must be Brecker. Was that Michael Brecker on the sax solo too? It wasn't a very long solo.

>>68587828
I was just thinking I might have to do a vocal jazz theme at some point and try to include more improvised vocals. Although I do love some of the more jazz-pop stuff with vocals too so I'd probably include a little of that as well.
>>
>>68588088
you got it, Brecker brothers are indeed both there

I've certainly found myself being hesitant to post anything interesting that might be useful later for some /blindfold/ theme, so I won't hold it against anyone else :D

On meta-topics, due to this list I also have enough material for a jazzy spoken word list if there's enough interest in that sort of thing - I personally like spoken word type stuff, but I'm pretty sure I'm stretching the limits of what could be presented as jazz too much without going that deep already.
>>
>>68588214
on a related note, I'd be very interested in listening to non-English/Nordic/French/German language spoken word type stuff with a jazzy background if anyone knows anything
>>
bumping with creative vocal music made by someone who's father was a jazz musician, so it kind of counts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9NxeUMHs1U

(ok, Petra also sings on some Bill Frisell albums that more or less count as jazz)
>>
I'm pretty busy today but I did the first half of the tracks. I will definitely do the rest later at some point.

1. This seems kind of like just vintage vocal jazz. Just kind of easy listening, nothing too shocking or aggressive. Pretty pleasant but nothing special. I’d put it on in the background. 3 stars.

2. This sounds like German. It comes across kind of harsh in this setting but this sounds like a typical American big band backing track. I’d guess this could be a standard but maybe just translated into another language. Not bad. 3 stars.

3. It’s kind of weird how the vocals are just almost whispered instead of sung. The rhythm section sounds pretty good but I didn’t really like the saxophone solo. 3 stars.

4. This one’s more fun. I think it’s got a blues form and I like how it gets more weird and crazy as the song goes on. I especially like it when the crazy soprano saxes come in. It almost sounds like Coltrane. 3.5 stars.

5. It’s cool. This one draws me in the most of any of the other ones so far. It reminds me a little bit of the spiritual jazz category almost like Alice Coltrane or something. I like the unpredictable feel of the whole thing.
>>
Hooray I made it!

>Track 1
Cute voice, but also sounds a little bleak to me. Maybe it's the style I'm not crazy about either. It's all pretty forgettable, probably won't remember how this sounded tomorrow.

>Track 2
I was thinking this could be Swedish, and then Monica Zetterlund came to mind. I'm pretty sure this is her even though I've only skimmed through her collaboration with Bill Evans (I've liked what I've heard, just hadn't the time to give it a full listen). This is
from some other record though, here there's a Big Band instead of Evans. Anyway I really like her voice and this track as a whole even if I don't understand a thing.

>Track 3
This one's in French. It's the main appeal for me, love the sound of it and also the band doesn't really stand out but I don't think they're trying to. It all feels pretty standard.

>Track 4
The singer gives soul vibes and the track is groovy, but it also feels a bit restrained. I haven't heard much like this and I'm probably and unfairly just comparing it to the Pharaohs' awakening among other things, which put a lot of emotion into it and it gives a great result. I'd like some of that here.

>Track 5
Pretty good too. The rhythm is pretty simple but effective and the flute playing very interesting. Vocals are great too. Could the singer be Jeanne Lee? I remember her sounding like this and it sounds definitely like the kind of music she'd make. If so I like this more than her material on Conspiracy as a whole.
>>
>Track 6
Comme a la radio! Nice. I really like this record and the title track is definitely a standout. Brigitte's voice is beautiful and the lyricism is quite pretty as well. I also love how the Art Ensemble of Chicago adapt their playing around her voice so well, with enough space so that it's always the center of attention, but they don't fade into the background either. It's also a pretty unique instrumentation and I appreciate it very much. I love this track honestly.

>Track 7
I could picture this being Pat Metheny or Chick Corea although I haven't heard much of either. Anyway I'm not too fond of this style of fusion sometimes cheesy that I associate with them and not too sold on the vocals either. The last minutes are really not my thing, though I can appreciate some of the playing in here, particularly the drums.

>Track 8
I don't like the vocals in here at all. I'd prefer if they were not in here at all. When the singer's abstent there's some nice moments. The horns are especially remarkable, the keyboard solo at five minutes sounded uninspired. So I guess I'd like to hear stuff like this without the vocals and the horn players leading.

>Track 9
This is pretty good throughout. The trumpet is wonderful, this track leaves me wanting to hear more of it. On the other hand I didn't pay much attention to the vocals or the lyrics, when he sang along the trumpet my atention went to the latter.

>Track 10
It's Caravan. A version with a flamenco sound to make thigs even more interesting. Living in Spain you get to hear a lot of cookie cutter flamenco and I'm glad this doesn't sound like it, especially since I assume it's from the US. Guitar playing is pretty remarkable, I'd like to hear more of these guys.

Pretty good selection, really enjoyed this week!
>>
>>68589171
>2
Well, it's a Germanic language. Interesting that it still sounds harsh to you - in my universe this is the smooth alternative to the strong German in that language family.

>5
A little earlier than when Alice came to the scene, but I do think more blues based singers like this lady and Nina Simone were certainly an influence in the 60's spiritual jazz movement.

I've always thought that modal jazz could be thought of as a natural extension of blues, anyway.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (69KB, 883x883px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
69KB, 883x883px
>>68588428
Dunno if you know about him, but Colette Magny was French singer who did a record with a free jazz ensemble. It's pretty diverse and it has both jazzy parts and spoken word parts. Not always together, but I guess les cages a tigre might be the sort of stuff you're looking for.
Other than that, not much off the top of my head.
>>
>>68589244
>1
Like jtg also remarked, this is certainly a singer whose most defining quality is the cutesy voice.

>2
There you go, it is indeed the great Monica Zetterlund, much beloved by the Swedish jazz community, but really only known for her collaborations with Bill Evans elsewhere. I'll just remark on the lyrics that the Swedish translation is in general much more noteworthy compared to the English original.

>3
I guess this is only interesting in it's context - I did think people would recognize something about it.

>5
Not Jeanne Lee, but good guess - I could certainly group this singer, Jeanne Lee and Nina Simone as a group of similar vocalists.
>>
>>68588214
>>68588088
Spoken word sounds good to me, as well as more vocal jazz also.
>>
>>68589268
>6
You got it - fantastic track, I think. Also noteworthy for jazz fans apart from Art Ensemble of Chicago being involved for being one of the first recordings of Wadada Leo Smith.

>7
As said before this has an overwhelming taste of Chick Corea to it, although it's someone else on keyboards. Plenty of people involved who have played with Chick, though.

>8
My #1 talking point with this track is that it's interesting to me how a lot of spiritual/independent jazz of the 70's tried to make vocals work with little success. That said, this is a fairly well-respected track in circles who are into this kind of thing and I recently acquired this on vinyl and have no regrets.

>10
I believe the musicians were all based in New York at the time, but there are multiple French people herel - the main flavor and background is that of gypsy jazz in the Django tradition, but it's true that the half-step chords of the verse give it a flamenco flavor as well.

Really nice example of actually successfully translating Caravan to a different musical tradition, I think.
>>
>>68589475
this sounds great - I'm definitely liking Les Cages À Tigre a lot. I'm a fan of Godard's 60's movies and this has a very similar style than the voice overs and soundtracks of those combined.
>>
File: Boris Vian Miles Davis.jpg (355KB, 1600x1140px) Image search: [Google]
Boris Vian Miles Davis.jpg
355KB, 1600x1140px
>>68589784
>for being one of the first recordings of Wadada Leo Smith
I actually hadn't noticed it before, even though I looked at the lineup to find the name of the other singer (Areski Belkacem) in the record.
>a lot of spiritual/independent jazz of the 70's tried to make vocals work with little success
Yeah, while listening to it, especially towards the end I kind of got the feeling they were trying to add a spiritual sound, but I really don't see it fitting it the music.
>Really nice example of actually successfully translating Caravan to a different musical tradition
Agreed, this adds a lot to the track.
>>68589843
>I'm a fan of Godard's 60's movies
I actually have watched very little of him even though I really like Frech Cinema and all. I do like Chantal Goya's Masculin-féminin soundtrack though.
And well, other than Colette I can't think of much. I do remember other Brigitte Fontaine records having some spoken word but of course without the Art Ensemble there isn't really much jazz to it. Although from my experience a lot French singers tend to sound more like they're speaking than what I'm used to in other languages, not many do it with a jazz background.
Here's what I think are the jazzier Boris Vian songs anyway:
https://youtu.be/yFdYZQmQtcs
https://youtu.be/5qXkV1e6yZY
>>
>>68589784
>one of the first recordings of Wadada Leo Smith.
Ah damn. In the parts where the trumpet is more pronounced I actually suddenly thought of Wadada. I haven't listened to much of his playing other than his record this year with Vijay.
>>
>>68590221
I like Tu M'as Trop Menti from that soundtrack way more than is healthy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZfI2A601i8

I like a lot of more offbeat French music and 60's yeye stuff and all that. On that note I'm surprised at the general lack of any recognition on Track 3.
>>
>>68589043
His children are all in the biz I think. And oddly one of them is married to Jack Black.
>>
>>68590370
since all the tracks are too long and heavy to have in a blindfold, I recommend checking out Occupy The World he did a couple of years ago for TUM records with a large ensemble of mostly Finnish musicians - a very nice large ensemble avant-leaning album, I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSBPAGykoz0
>>
>>68590426
yeah, they have that Haden Triplets thing. Petra is the only one I've really listened to, though.
>>
>>68590411
>I'm surprised at the general lack of any recognition on Track 3.
Really? Not much came to mind even though I listen to chanson quite a bit. Maybe Gainsbourg? I've only listened to histoire de Melody Nelson once and don't really remember his voice. But the record was very different sounding than track three and I really wouldn't imagine him there. Another possible name since you like 60's French pop might is Jacques Dutronc, but I know nothing of him either.
>>
>>68590640
There you go - it is indeed pre-fame Serge Gainsbourg when he was still more of a jazzy chanson person. He's pretty widely admired in jazz-minded circles in my experience at least in this part of the world, so figured someone would recognize him.
>>
>>68590798
Yay!
>pre-fame jazzy chanson Serge
I also didn't know about this. Any of it especially worth noting? Like I said I've only listened to Melody Nelson once but I know he's a pretty big figure so I want to explore more of his work eventually.
>>
>>68591021
I've always found Gainsbourg to be the kind of character who did many standout tracks, but L'Histoire de Melody Nelson is in all honesty his only really great album. I think his 60's and early 70's sleazy pop is fantastic in general - the Initials B.B. compilation covers the essentials, but I like a lot of his older jazzier stuff, too

Confidentiel is a pretty nice sparse album with just a bass+guitar backing that I can recommend to anyone who thinks that instrumentation sounds interesting, here are also some other pre-Melody Nelson Gainsbourg tracks not on that compilation I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PrD6FnSbw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJXkaM3ukoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K39sZqy3Vhw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vJvwD3XADc
>>
>>68590798
Oh surprising. I've only listened to a small sampling of his stuff. I guess the attitude of it fits.
>>
Last bump tonight.
What have you been listening to? Any vocal jazz? I've been listening to Satchmo plays King Oliver quite a lot this month.

>>68591257
Thanks! I'll go for the B.B. comp and listen to those tracks as well.
>>
>>68591623
Been traveling a lot and haven't really had time to listen to much other than some old favorites.
>>
>>68591623

not too much vocal jazz lately apart from what's on this list - Lucia Cadotsch who I had on the 2016 Euro /blindfold/ earlier is pretty much the only vocal album this year I've been excited about, really looking forward to seeing here live in like 6 weeks from now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u__GfUYDyw

A ton of new releases locally recently, though. This week the new Andrew Cyrille album on ECM is tickling me in many right places as a long time Bill Frisell listener.

Lots of cool gigs coming this year that I'm excited to see apart from Cadotsch, too. Steve Lehman's octet, Charles Lloyd, Marius Neset in two different contexts, Lee Konitz... Also Donny McCaslin - I was afraid his new stuff would be just riding on being David Bowie's backing band on Blackstar, but there's some great stuff on the new album.

In the "don't waste your time"-sector the new Robert Glasper Experiment album is total trash IMHO - it's been awhile since I've listened to a name-player album with so little going for it.
>>
>>68591714
oh, random question that does have some pretty unusual vocal stylings attached

as a Texas-based person are you aware of the group Young Mothers put together by Norwegian free jazz bassist Ingebrigt Håker-Flaten or any of the musicians in it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKH5ipzK10
http://music.ingebrigtflaten.com/album/a-mothers-work-is-never-done

They feature both a rapping trumpet player and a growling & screaming hardcore/metal screaming drummer/vibes player and I really enjoyed them live - pretty much like a modern day late-80's-early-90's John Zorn group.

Lineup apart from Håker-Flaten is Jason Jackson on saxes, Frank Rosaly on drums, Jawwaad Taylor on trumpet, rapping and electronics, Stefan Gonzalez on drums, vibes and metal vocals, Jonathan Horne on guitar and random guests. I think at least some of them are Austin-area people.
>>
just giving a shoutout to our new sibling thread - /classical/ blindfold
>>68590186

I participated, so shame on you if you don't chip in for the most rewarding threads by far on /mu/
>>
File: Jakob Bro Streams.jpg (378KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Jakob Bro Streams.jpg
378KB, 1400x1400px
>>
>>68594045
Oh, these are people I like, need to check this shit out

as said, I'm a long time Bill Frisell -listener and Bro is kind of a disciple and Joey Baron is someone I've listened to a lot on those old John Zorn -related albums. Thomas Morgan is also a familiar name from many albums.

Thanks for the tip! ECM just keeps blindsiding me with unexpected cool stuff like that recent Andrew Cyrille album. Jazz is really the gift that keeps giving since the more players you get familiar with, the more cool albums and meetings of familiar styles you'll see.
>>
Could you help me /mu/?

I am looking for more music like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-QvZ4BhoVY
>>
>>68594045
I downloaded this but haven't listened to it yet.
>>
>>68595514
this maybe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm8Lf16V0Xg

Those first two dancers were great
>>
>>
Any suggestions for jazz pianist who do a lot of solo recordings, preferably exists on stereo recordings as well? So far I have only found Barry Harris, Bill Evans And Monk.

If they are available on Spotify that would be nice.
>>
>>68603718
Keith Jarret
>>
>>68604357
Which album does he does solo piano?
>>
>>68604486
Quite a bunch, Köln Concert being the most popular one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Jarrett#Solo_piano
>>
>>68603718
Fred Hersch
Paul Bley
Hank Jones might only have one but it's really good
>>
Finally posting my thoughts for the last half of the tracks.

6. The vocals are kind of weird. This one is definitely French though. Pretty nice trumpet playing that kind of reminds me of Miles Davis for some reason. But I’m sure he never did anything like this. It was pretty cool when all the other instruments started going crazy too. 3.5 stars.

7. Pretty cool. It reminds me of the McCoy Tyner sound but with electric piano. Nice vocals too. I think this band has the best overall sound of any so far this week. 3.5 stars.

8. Cool sound again with the electric piano and the gospel sounding vocals. I liked the sax solo and the rhythm section seemed to play their best while that was going on. 3.5 stars.

9. Hey one I recognize. Red Clay is always very memorable to me for some reason. I guess it’s the bass line. The vocals kind of work. The trumpet solo was awesome. Probably one of the best solos this week. 4 stars.

10. Caravan. Nice. I don’t know if we’ve had any vocal versions of this yet. This is a cool gypsy jazz version that has nice solos. I also like the singer, it sounds like something pretty recent. Cool version. 3.5 stars.
>>
I'll do the reveals in like 2-3 hours, so still time to get in
>>
Here's the link for next week. The theme is Andrew Hill compositions.

http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/MZ6m2GpK/file.html
>>
>>68607682
aw hell yea
>>
starting reveals in just a moment
>>
File: blossom_dearie.jpg (127KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
blossom_dearie.jpg
127KB, 480x480px
>Track 1
Blossom Dearie - Once Upon a Summertime
from Once Upon a Summertime (Verve 1959)

Blossom Dearie - piano, vocals
Mundell Lowe - guitar
Ray Brown - bass
Ed Thigpen - drums

Starting off with singer and pianist Blossom Dearie, best known for her cutesy, girly voice. The song Once a Summertime is originally of French origin and has also been recorded by Monica Zetterlund with Bill Evans, Miles Davis with a Gil Evans orchestration, Sarah Vaughan and Astrud Gilberto. This one is probably my favorite version, although the Miles/Evans version is nice too.
>>
File: monica.jpg (165KB, 1412x1401px) Image search: [Google]
monica.jpg
165KB, 1412x1401px
>Track 2
Monica Zetterlund - Sakta Vi Gå Genom Stan
from Ahhh! Monica! (Philips 1962)

Monica Zetterlund - vocals
with bassist Georg Riedels uncredited orchestra

Speaking of Monica Zetterlund, here's most likely the greatest vocalist in the history of Swedish jazz, internationally known for her work with Bill Evans. The song, originally titled Walking My Baby Back Home - recorded by dozens of notable figures from Louis Armstrong to Ella Fitzgerald to Nat King Cole and many, many others - is in it's Swedish incarnation more of a love song for the city of Stockholm and has been voted the most beloved song about the city in Sweden.
>>
File: joe_williams.jpg (51KB, 349x351px) Image search: [Google]
joe_williams.jpg
51KB, 349x351px
>Track 3
Joe Williams - Get Out of My Life Woman
from Presenting Joe Williams and Thad Jones - Mel Lewis - The Jazz Orchestra (Solid State 1966)

Joe Williams - vocals
orchestra led by Thad Jones & Mel Lewis - see here for details: https://www.discogs.com/Joe-Williams-And-Thad-Jones-Mel-LewisJazz-Orchestra-Presenting-Joe-Williams-And-Thad-Jones-Mel-Lewis/release/3624955

Here's some New Orleans R&B flavor with a big band backing - this song was written by Allen Toussaint and performed by Lee Dorsey and very shortly after it's initial release also recorded by singer Joe Williams on his album with the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis orchestra. Probably Wiliams' best album overall.

Both this and the original Dorsey version are also well known as songs that have been sampled many times in hip hop.
>>
>>68609013
oops, that's actually Track 4.
>>
File: serge.jpg (126KB, 600x603px) Image search: [Google]
serge.jpg
126KB, 600x603px
>Track 3
Serge Gainsbourg - Du Jazz Dans Le Raving
from Du Chant à La Une!... (Philips 1958)

Serge Gainsbourg - vocals
Alain Goraguer - piano
Michel Hausser - vibraphone
Paul Rovère - bass
Christian Garros - drums

Before becoming a legend in his own right as a sleazy rock figure and a controversial dirty old man of French music, Serge Gainsbourg started as a more jazzy chanson singer. Here's one with a particularly strong jazz flavor from his first 10 inch release from 1958.
>>
File: lorez.jpg (86KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
lorez.jpg
86KB, 600x600px
>Track 5
Lorez Alexandria - Baltimore Oriole
from This is Lorez (King Records 1957)

Lorez Alexandria - vocals
Ronald Wilson - flute
Wilbur Wynn - guitar
Russell Williams - bass
Audrey Jones - bongos
Vernel Fournier - drums

Singer Lorez Alexandria is probably best known for her mid-60's Impulse! releases, but at least in Europe her two recorded versions of Baltimore Oriole, originally written by Hoagy Carmichael in the late 40's are also pretty popular with jazz DJ's with their cool mystic mood.
>>
File: fontaine.jpg (157KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fontaine.jpg
157KB, 500x500px
>Track 6
Brigitte Fontaine - Comme À La Radio
from Comme À La Radio (Saravah 1969)

Brigitte Fontaine - vocals
Roscoe Mitchell - flute
Joseph Jarman - oboe
Leo Smith - trumpet
Malachi Favors - bass
Areski Belkacem - percussion

Brigitte Fontaine is a noteworthy character in French avant-garde on her own, but this recording is particularly interesting for jazz fans as it features the Art Ensemble of Chicago who were based in Paris at the time and making their first recordings and Wadada Leo Smith on trumpet. It's also a bit of a cult favorite album having been championed by the likes of Sonic Youth and Björk.
>>
File: purim.jpg (134KB, 555x558px) Image search: [Google]
purim.jpg
134KB, 555x558px
>Track 7
Flora Purim - Moon Dreams
from Butterfly Dreams (Milestone 1973)

Flora Purim - vocals
George Duke - keyboards
David Amaro - guitars
Joe Henderson - flute
Stanley Clarke - bass
Airto Moreira - drums, percussion

After her stint in the first incarnation of Chick Corea's Return to Forever, Flora Purim launched her solo career with this album on Milestone Records that follows the spirit of early RTF very closely with also Stanley Clarke on bass and Airto Moreira on percussion, but George Duke on keyboards who hasn't sounded as much like Chick Corea as he does here.
>>
File: carn.jpg (170KB, 949x959px) Image search: [Google]
carn.jpg
170KB, 949x959px
>Track 8
Doug Carn - Power & Glory
from Revelation (Black Jazz Records 1973)

Jean Carn - vocals
Doug Carn - electric piano
Rene McLean - saxophone
Olu Dara, Earl McIntyre - trumpet
Nathan Page - guitar
Walter Booker - bass
Ira Williams - drums

A little bit 70's independent spiritual jazz flavor - a style that fairly often featured vocals with mixed and usually not great results. Pianist Doug Carn was the most successful character who recorded for Black Jazz Records with his then-wife Jean Carn on vocals - Jean would go on to have a relatively successful solo career as a smooth r&b/disco singer. This is a relatively popular album and track among people who are into this type of music.
>>
File: murphy.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
murphy.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
>Track 9
Mark Murphy - On the Red Clay
from Mark Murphy Sings (Muse 1975)

Mark Murphy - vocals
Michael Brecker - tenor sax
David Sanborn - alto sax
Randy Brecker - trumpet
Don Grolnick - keyboards
Joe Puma - guitar
Harvie Swartz - bass
Sue Evans - percussion
Jimmy Madison - drums

One example of later day vocalese - meaning a vocal version of an originally instrumental composition. By the 70's vocal jazz wasn't doing all that strong, so jazz songs of that time fairly rarely got the vocal treatment, on this Mark Murphy Sings album there are some like Cantaloupe Island, Maiden Voyage and this version of Freddie Hubbard's Red Clay that is by far the most successful of these three IMHO.

The bands strong point is the horn section with the Brecker brothers and David Sanborn - Randy Brecker's trumpet solo is especially a high point here.
>>
File: cyrille.jpg (349KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
cyrille.jpg
349KB, 1024x1024px
>Track 10

Cyrille Aimée - Caravan
from It's a Good Day (Mack Avenue 2014)

Cyrille Aimée - vocals
Adrien Moignard, Guilherme Monteiro, Michael Valeanu - guitars
Sam Anning - bass
Rajiv Jayaweera - drums

The obligatory Caravan with singer Cyrille Aimée who got her start singing gypsy jazz in her native France. This is, I think, a pretty successful case of managing to turn Caravan into some other style.
>>
and that's wraps it up for another week - thank you to everyone who participated and see you all next week for some Andrew Hill -compositions
>>
Nice picks, I look forward to hearing some of these in full, and to next week's theme.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.