[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Flaming Lips Song

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_3612.jpg (85KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3612.jpg
85KB, 800x800px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKqmdzTeaHD4x-qsMznFWmd83-RB0HRHKZ2KwxiqcghWLoJyKK3A-fhbQztpiXTgOJR6VMmXTM5pY2dP-5rhBa52xtSTXA&v=Ta_i7Kf2jBo

Thoughts?
>>
>>68582853
It sounds like an underwhelming Yoshimi B-side
>>
>>68582862
Yeah I'm pretty disappointed. It sounds so half assed. Also the lyrics are mediocre at best.
>>
>>68582862
:/
>>
>>68582862
:(
>>
>>68582862
D:
>>
>>68582853
>>68582862
fuck that I like it

it's just as I'd expect a modern Lips record to sound
>>
File: wayne-coyne.jpg (300KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
wayne-coyne.jpg
300KB, 600x610px
Hey guys! Wayne Coyne here! AMA and check em lol
>>
>>68584145
Go back to s4s
>>
should they kick wayne out of the band?
>>
>>68584740
I know you're joking but wayne *is* the band
>>
>>68582853
I like this. It's kind of bare-bones and not too impressive but it's nice. I'm hoping they let loose a and go a little more crazier on other songs, but I love this laid back mellow Flaming Lips sound.

It also, for some reason, reminds me of the song Hong Kong by Gorillaz. Something about the pleasant singing and cheap sounding percussion.
>>
>>68584773
>wayne *is* the band

Their entire sound was shaped by Roland Jones and Steve Drozd, you think Robert Plant *was* Led Zeppelin?
>>
>>68584816
I don't know, I've never listened to Led Zepplin.
>>
>>68584145
why album title and several song titles are in Polish?
>>
>>68584773
>>68584949
please just leave you uniformed loser
>>
>>68584773
Wayne, Michael and Steven are the band tho
>>
>>68585053
>implying i need to "research" older bands to "get" newer bands
>implying flaming lips would have seen even a fraction of their current success without wayne as the frontman

hahahaha
>>
>>68585015
because I wanted to honor my heritage
>>
>>68582853
I like it a lot.
It's somewhere between The Soft Bulletin and Embryonic. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
>>
>>68582853
it's great, not amazing, but just really solid.
HYPED for the future album
>>
>>68583651
>>68583703
>>68583724
sorry boys :^{
>>
My girlfriend doesnt like the flaming lips cause she thinks wayne is a jerk what do? Theyre one of my favorite bands.
>>
File: newv.jpg (60KB, 847x476px) Image search: [Google]
newv.jpg
60KB, 847x476px
OP why you didn't linked the official video? it features a qt gal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_ggTw4lhA
>>
>>68586183
dump her.

Or try to explain that you can (to a certain extent) separate the art from the artist.
>>
>>68586183
I met Wayne, and he's one of the nicest guys there is. We had a 10 minute unforced convo about life while my mom was just standing next to me lol. He signed my copies of Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin, and Embryonic as well.

If you like her enough just convince her that Wayne isn't a jerk. Or just have the comfort that her not liking Wayne has nothing to do with you're relationship
>>
It's ok, just crazy repetitive
>>
its awful, just like everything they put out after the terror
>>
i like it
>>
>>68586816
but isn't this the first major release they've had since the terror?

I wouldn't really count those random collabs and cover albums
>>
Unbearable lyrics. Goes to show better lyrics come from being miserable than happy. Even the band The Lips rip off more than anybody, Mercury Rev wouldn't sink this low.
>>
>>68582853
Yoooo
>>
>>68584773
wayne sings and add lyrics
that is literally all he does
if anyone *is* the band, it's steven
>>
>>68588192
those collab eps came out before the terror and were much better than this
>>
File: Oczy_Mlody_1200x1200-1024x1024.jpg (190KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Oczy_Mlody_1200x1200-1024x1024.jpg
190KB, 1024x1024px
Tracklisting of the future LP (13th Jan. 2017)
>Oczy Mlody

1. Oczy Mlody
2. How??
3. There Should Be Unicorns
4. Sunrise (Eyes of the Young)
5. Nigdy Nie (Never No)
6. Galaxy I Sink
7. One Night While Hunting For Faeries and Witches and Wizards To Kill
8. Do Glowy
9. Listening To The Frogs With Demon Eyes
10. The Castle
11. Almost Home (Blisko Domu)
12. We A Famly
>>
>>68589135
wayne is literally the artistic director of the band, he dictates the aesthetic and thematic direction of the music. he also writes a lot of the songs, including some of the band's best tracks like Psychiatric Explorations of the Fetus with Needles and Do You Realize

>>68588397
have you heard The Light in You? This song's lyrics may have been kind of underwhelming, but John Donahue's latest stuff was downright cringeworthy

>>68586183
your girlfriend doesn't actually know wayne coyne so why should her opinion matter?

>>68584816
>Roland Jones
>>
>>68589363
It'll sucks ass
>>
>>68589643
>he dictates the aesthetic and thematic direction of the music
except he doesn't? steven was the one behind the orchestration of the soft bulletin, the kraut-jam style of embryonic, and the entirety of the terror's style was decided based on a song/experiment in the studio he made that would become You Lust
>>
>>68589667
>>
File: goodolddays.jpg (45KB, 881x494px) Image search: [Google]
goodolddays.jpg
45KB, 881x494px
no more naked chicks for the videos :((

https://vimeo.com/144235698
https://vimeo.com/38193715
>>
>>68589765
>the kraut-jam style of embryonic
nope, that was Wayne. I remember Steve discussing in an interview that it took him a while to develop stuff that matched the specifications for the sound Wayne wanted.
Also the Lips were making krautrock before Steve was in the band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yydRJDWQa-Q

>entirety of the terror's style was decided based on a song/experiment in the studio he made that would become You Lust
The Terror was the culmination of a style that had been developed through quick, constant reiteration by wayne and steve during 2011 and 2012, and the main reason it is so Steve-heavy is because it was recorded simultaneously with the Wayne-centric Heady Fwends. also IIRC that experiment became You Are Alone and not You Lust

>steven was the one behind the orchestration of the soft bulletin
wayne was the one who told him not to make a guitar rock album and mercury rev were already doing it in the same studio at the same time.
>>
>>68584773
nah that's Michael obviously
>>
Wayne intereview here:
>http://www.self-titledmag.com/2016/10/21/the-flaming-lips-fuse-syd-barrett-and-aap-rocky-on-new-oczy-mlody-album/
https://youtu.be/ZqXj0RLV1RI
https://youtu.be/pmD88mVXO0I

(what a jew, releasing 2 YT videos for 3 minutes only)
>>
>>68589363
Hope the songs aren't as bad as their titles
>>
>>68589973
since you seem well-documented, what about Yoshimi (my favorite FL album)?
are you hyped for the musical too?
>>
>>68589973
you mean they were ripping off can songs before steve joined the band? i'm sure that steven and wayne worked together to get a sound they both liked for embryonic, but steve is the one most into kraut and prog-rock (as you can see in anything that's mostly steve-led, embryonic, the terror, electric wurms) and i have no doubt that steven is behind the initial style.

can you elaborate on "The Terror was the culmination of a style that had been developed through quick, constant reiteration by wayne and steve during 2011 and 2012?" and you are right that it was You Are Alone, sorry. if anything that makes steve's role there even more important, because the philosophy of that song is present throughout the entire album.
>>
>>68590201
Already happened
>>
>>68590201
>since you seem well-documented, what about Yoshimi (my favorite FL album)?
Much of Yoshimi's songwriting was happening while Steve was crashing on Wayne's couch in constant pain from kicking heroin. Wayne wrote Do You Realize to cheer Steve up. I was under the impression that Yoshimi was a very Wayne-centric album but I could be wrong (it's been a while), there's a lot of early guitar demos of his and a lot of the proggier stuff was cut from the album, but Steve doctored a lot of the songs.

>are you hyped for the musical too?
I thought the musical came and went years ago? I was hyped when Aaron Sorkin was attached to write the book

>>68590228
>steve is the one most into kraut and prog-rock
the whole schtick of 80s-era Lips was that they were punks who loved prog rock instead of shunned it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzscAw1_nA4

>can you elaborate
There really isn't a clear line between making the monthly 2011 projects (something like a cumulative 32 hours of released music with plenty unreleased) and making Heady Fwends\The Terror, they were basically constantly writing\reworking material over a two-year slog. a lot of it was wayne constantly working between shows in his home studio on lo-fi neopsych, and psuhing steve to constantly develop new content in that style. the whole band contributed to some parts like the 24 hour song, featuring segments without the primary involvement of wayne and steve. the earliest released material for The Terror was actually Butterfly HLiTtD on the Sept 2011 EP Strobo Trip

so to say that steve came up with The Terror is a bit disingenuous. although he is the primary songwriter of the album, it's really the summary of a style that both wayne and steve spent 2 years developing with no breaks, and the expression of a dark period in the band's life that was triggered by the dissolution of wayne's marriage, pushing him into workaholic mode which likely pushed steve into a relapse that inspired You Are Alone
>>
>>68590975
>went years ago
lol right (in 2012)
>>
the flaming lips have been in odd territory for a little while now. hopefully this will be an improvement. wayne is sort of mentally shot now though. i feel bad for the guy, i know he went through some shit, but holy cow he changed a lot.
>>
>>68590141
I'm Pole and the name of that album triggers me, "Eyes of the young" would be "oczy młodego", not "oczy młody", declension here is fucked up

also his pronounciation is awful

Oczy młodego = o'chee m-what-eh-go'
Nigdy nie = neegdee nye (like in russian "nyet", but "ni" is pronounced differently, just like "gn" in french pronounciation of "champagne")
Do głowy = d-og-wo-vee
>>
>>68591147
I really think he did too much drugs, and just doesnt hear the quality in his output
>>
>>68582862
:DDDD
>>
>>68593651
Lol
>>
>>68586183
Flaming Lips fan here
Wayne became a jerk, he didn't used to be
>>
>>68586241
too much I'm cryin
>>
>>68590975
Thanks for the input. Whered you learn all this?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.