[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is computer an instrument?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

File: computer.jpg (17KB, 675x184px) Image search: [Google]
computer.jpg
17KB, 675x184px
Is computer an instrument?
>>
big ol lips
>>
>>68580314
Yes it is
>>
Kanyefags are so delusional
>>
>>68580314
Yes
>>
>>68580314
Remember when music used to be actual art before WW1 permanently damaged everything?
>>
>>68580314
Makes millions if not billions in revenue annualy on his music = Definately a Musician
Computer musician uses to make millions = Instrument
Why are you faggots so pretentious jesus fucking christ
>>
>>68580314
it is a tool
that can be used to make music
it can do many other things too

and playing "instruments" didn't require talent it required expert technique and a very high risk of fucking your body up
>>
>>68580314
yup anybody who disagrees is a pretentious rodent
>>
>>68580314
not in the same way that an acoustic instrument is but sure it makes sound.
90% of DJs are definitely a fucking joke.
>>
If you take modern DAWs, they pretty much give you control over producing with any kind of instrument and if you actually fuck around with them, you'll realize that it requires talent to come up something even remotely good. You'll need to have the knowledge and technical ability to have decent melodies go together.
>>
In the right hands, yes; but not always
>>
Computers are instruments. They can take a sound and transform it and make it like it's never sounded before. That's not even something other instruments have ever done.
>>
>>68580314

programming is just typing and pressing buttons on a keyboard lmao

writing a book is just scribbling stuff on a book lmao
>>
>>68580314
No, and synthesisers aren't real instruments either
>>
>>68580314
Here's what David Byrne had to say about that:
https://youtu.be/Nwof1zf1ts4?t=18s
>>
>>68580314
No, it's every instrument, the ones that already exist and the ones that still don't alike.
>>
>>68580314
classically trained guy here, I'd say yes, the computer can be utilized as an instrument.
>>
>>68580314
the only part of music that is art is the composition
the playing of instruments is closer to a sport

I still prefer instruments because you can put feel into it easier and more organically
>>
>>68582255
I like that analogy
Makes me think of people cheering on during masturbatory guitar solos
>>
>>68582288
a thousand arpeggios can get my fingers to work like I want but it doesn't help me write my masterpiece

kind of sad that I refused to allow myself to grasp that concept for a decade
>>
>>68582255
What does that make out of improvisation then? Gymnastics?
>>
>>68582316
kind of,
all improv is basically what you have practiced anyway
>>
>mix like daft punk

Yeah, they're so original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVfZAZdIUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3AKrwna2C8
>>
>>68581724
yea like, even i can like go on a computer right now and just like press the buttons and make a piece of art like anyone can just do that
>>
>>68582595
And anyone with an acoostic geetah can cover pop/rock songs on youtube.
>>
>>68582629
>>68582595
you guys have made our industry a joke
>>
>>68582658
whose industry of what now?
i was just joking, evidently you cant just go on a computer and make even a decent beat, its actually really hard.
>>
>>68582669
yeah I worked that out after I posted, sorry
I was going to exit the thread in shame
music industry
but if you were serious, which I now know you're not and could've worked that out if I read what you were replying to, I was getting at people hating on the medium and the way people develop rather than accepting its a subjective field and the product is made to be enjoyed..
although I guess this board is for the spiteful disagreement of taste as well as sharing music with each other
so.. I guess my point is moot and i'm a bit of a dick
>>
Anything that can make music is an instrument.

Different instruments require different levels of skill. For example the piano and violin and saxophone require far more skill than the guitar or drums.
>>
>>68582331
>all improv is basically what you have practiced
only if you're a boring uncreative human being.
>>
>>68582255

this

anyone can learn to play an instrument

not anyone can be a good composer
>>
>>68583482
you're not going to come up with a chord structure on the spot and the improv with lead generally is based around a central riff
same with percussion
your basic rhythm will stay the same even when your messing around with fills etc
>>
>>68583523
Ever heard of free jazz?
>>
>>68583537
I guess that is an exception
I (and I get that its my opinion so you will feel differently) interpret "music" as organised sound (rhythmically, harmonically and noted)
so, and I've never really thought about this before and it doesn't make much sense, I guess I don't see that as music
its more like sound
it could be a song in the sense that a bird can make a song with no structure

maybe I need to re-evaluate my idea of what music really is
>>
>>68583537
Here's a great video on the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WhXtkMyPHU
>>
this>>68583575 is great, thanks
btw I'm the confused anon from>>68583574
>>
>>68583574
>it could be a song in the sense that a bird can make a song with no structure
Let's take Ornette Coleman for example. That analogy wouldn't be representative of his music. He tries to convey emotion or certain feelings through his music, by whatever means necessary. If not having a tonal centre helps him do that, that's what he'll do. Along with watching the video I've linked, take a look at what he had to say about his song ''Lonely woman'':
>In the background there was everything you could imagine that was wealthy – all in her background – but she was so sad. And I said, 'Oh my goodness. I understand this feeling. I have not experienced this wealth, but I understand the feeling.' I went home and wrote 'Lonely Woman'... I related the condition to myself, wrote this song, and ever since it has grown and grown and grown.
>>
>>68583634
I've tried to explain that here: >>68583639
>>
>>68583639
>Ornette Coleman
ahh thanks that's the guy I was thinking about, I think
my mates gf used to listen to him and play stuff out of time and I could never grasp what the purpose or idea of it was
I'm watching>>68583575 now
I really don't get it, yet
thanks for the video
>>
>lmao
Stop being black
>>
>>68583666
Here's another example:
https://youtu.be/7NVdfSy3RS0?t=3m35s
You clearly hear the melody being played by the bass player, which is quite unusual for bass players, except for Jaco or as in this case free jazz bassists. You can see Ornette picking up a violin and improvising on the spot. He didn't really know how the play the violin in a conventional sense, but he made it ''work'' in his songs. And the answer to the question: ''Does it really work?'' is up to you. That's what The Residents did at first too. They didn't know how to play every instrument at their disposal, but they improvised and if it worked - it worked.
>>
>>68583523
>you're not going to come up with a chord structure on the spot
it's not that hard.
>improv with lead generally is based around a central riff same with percussion
only if you choose to do so.
>your basic rhythm will stay the same even when your messing around with fills etc
it doesn't have to.

there are obviously lots of factors involved but that's where an open-mind and ear comes into play and the musicians you're playing with have to be open too. improv is really about communication and reaction, being in the moment. if you're playing with a bunch of boring people who don't want to explore sonic possibilities then sure improv is just slightly deviating repetition.
>>
>>68583647
ah, nah its not Coleman I was thinking of, the guy played piano solo and out of time with no structure or noticeable root

the bit at 11:00 is cool
reminds me of funk bass in that there is a solid downbeat
this guy in the video is really good, i'm really impressed
>>
>>68580314
No. A computer is a workstation that can record and arrange music, as well as run software instruments, though.
>>
>>68583734
>ah, nah its not Coleman I was thinking of, the guy played piano solo and out of time with no structure or noticeable root
Cecil Taylor?
>>
>>68583575
absolutely fantastic, thanks a lot. I'll need to watch that a few times to really get it
and I need to listen to some of the artist he mentioned - Taylor and Coleman
>>68583773
tone clusters
holy shit that makes my head spin

anyway, thanks for the tips
i'll try to apply them
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.