[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did he really deserve that Nobel?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

Did he really deserve that Nobel?
>>
>>68576361
He makes music, not literature, so no he didn't.
>>
>>>/lit/
>>
>>68576375
>lyricism isn't a form of literature
>>
even if you consider him a proper writer, there are a hundred trillion living writers more deserving of that award
>>
>>68576392
If he released those lyrics alone in a book nobody would really care.
>>
obscure boundary humping writers never did anything for peace

bob's lyrics reached the hearts of billions. a guy like pynchon is good at befuddling the bourgeoisie - technically a better writer but his impact was like a stick of dynamite compared to bob's nukes
>>
DeLillo deserved it more because he is an actual writer.
>>
>>68576361
in the end, it doesn't matter
awards don't matter
Bob's songs and lyrics will live on
>>
I think he was deserving but I still think it should've gone to somebody else. Dylan's more famous than the award itself (or at least just as famous) he gains nothing from it other than one more prestigious award (he's already won a Pulitzer, Presidential Medal of Freedom, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, Academy Award, two iterations of a Grammy lifetime achievement award, etc). Someone else should've had a moment in the sun.
>>
Joanna Newsom deserves it desu
>>
>people arguing whether Dylan is a poet or a songwriter
>Bowie has the Album of the Year
>next POTUS will probably be impeached 1 year into their first and only term
>New Cold War relations with Russia

It's the '70's all over again.
>>
whats your favorite book?

mines Street Legal
>>
>>68576662
Don't forget, a Star Wars movie is one of the defining pop culture moments of the decade.
>>
>>68576988
AND POKENM AN IS PPOP
NINTENDO NEW CONSOLE
AND GREENDAY AND BLINK 1283 ALBUm???

JAJHAHAHAH 90S ALL OVER AGAIN AHEHEHAHAH
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>68576361
no, i was genuinely embarrassed, and he was too.
>>
>>68576496
>delillo over mccarthy, pynchon and roth
i don't think so!
>>
>>68577067
pynchon died a few years ago btw
>>
>>68577090
you're wrong, he was in PTA's adaption.
also, don't they give prizes to dead people?
>>
>>68577118
>don't they give prizes to dead people
Not Nobels
>>
>>68577118
well they're not going to tell the public (people like you) that he has died for another two years or so, but remember someone told you
>>
>>68577135
oh, i thought they did
>>
>>68577067
>mccarthy
hack
>pynchon
dead
>roth
boring overrated jew

the only other actual writer with the same quality as DeLillo is Houellebecq, but i don't think the swedes would like to give a prize to an anti-muslim
>>
>>68576361
Nobel prizes for literature are jokes. No one should really care, and it seems that Dylan doesn't even care either.
>>
>>68577220
>but delillo is great!
holy fuck my man
>e only other actual writer with the same quality as DeLillo is Houellebecq
holy fuck what the fuuuuuck

also, didn't holla'back do a 180 on the whole muslim thing (or atleast islam) after reading the quran?
>>
>>68577246
Nobel prizes are a joke.
>>
>>68577265
>also, didn't holla'back do a 180 on the whole muslim thing (or atleast islam) after reading the quran?
nah, he's just knows how to play with the media
>>
>>68577118
Literally the only thing you need to win a nobel, besides being in the field it's awarded to of course, is to be alive.
>>
>>68577367
funny how everyone has to be atleast 60 years plus then.
>>
If Dylan deserves a Nobel, Kanye also deserves one.
>>
>>68577367
Guessing you don't watch the news.
>>
>>68577423
I don't understand this meme. Kanye is often criticized for his shitty lyrics. Dylan is praised in music circles for his songwriting and is considered great. They aren't really comparable other than that they are both musicians and they both don't really deserve Nobel prizes (but Dylan does certainly more than Kanye).
>>
>>68576418
Aside from the fact that he releases books of lyrics, that's irrelevant considering that's not the medium they were written for.
>>
>>68577501
>(but Dylan does certainly more than Kanye
Wrong again.
>>
>>68577501
>>68577423
Dylan practically invented literate lyricism in modern pop music.
>>
>>68577501
>praised in music circles
well there you go!
>>
Take your medal and throw it away
Come on back when you got something to say
Or just save it for a rainy day
Ain’t nothing Nobel bout me anyway
>>
>>68577552
>modern pop music
could this be more vague?
it's like people think he should be praised, but unsure what for, so they just keep narrowing it down to doing something within [pop music].
like the beatles' amazing innovation of being the first pop band to use a sitar in a song, truly gifts to the world.
>>
>>68577552
This was my response to an anon who made a similar claim last week.

>Hell, in a world where Strange Fruit was being sung by then-most mainstream pop/jazz (when jazz was still the most popular genre) singer and Frank Sinatra was singing about the wee small hours of the morning, I take issue with the idea that pop lyrics were just "little ditties" before Dylan.
>>
I can't wait for the guys from Mumford and Sons to win their Nobel now. The Lumineers too!
>>
That guy from Fall Out Boy deserves a Nobel
>>
>>68577592
That's not vague. Pop music changed dramatically after the first wave of rock and roll. There was lyricism in pop music beforehand (think Irving Berlin) but it wasn't anywhere near as self consciously artsy. I'm sure you listen to dozens of indie rock bands or some shit like that whose lyrics have far more to do with Dylan than some shit from the jazz age of popular music.
>>
Azealia Banks deserves a Nobel
>>
>>68577594
They weren't entirely just "little ditties" but they obviously weren't comparable in style. Besides, a plethora of Frank Sinatra's songs have hilariously terrible lyrics. One song doesn't indicate some passionate, literary dedication to lyricism.
>>
Paul McCartney should get one just for being in The Beatles 2bh
>>
>>68577649
I am not saying that bob dylan wasn't influential.
I am saying that his so-called innovation is massively overexaggerated, and his influence (or innovation for that matter) is not proof of quality.
Bob Dylan's lyrics are simple song lyrics, they are not literature (read: high literature).
>>
>>68576361
No, bel
>>
Leonard Cohen should have gotten one then
>>
I guess BLM is going to get a Nobel Peace Prize next
>>
>>68577678
Dylan has a number of songs that are awful from the late 70s to early 90s, that doesn't negate the quality of his other songs. And Sinatra has plenty of albums that are filled with wonderful songwriting, he was one of the first artists to use the album as an artistic expression (no, he didn't write his own music but he chose which songs he wanted to record and how he wanted to present them).

All I'm saying is that while yes, Dylan is a wonderful songwriter (I'm a Dylan freak if that means anything, have heard all his albums, watched the documentaries, read the biographies, etc), his achievement has more to do with the sustained quality of his lyrics more than bringing anything new to music. Guthrie and Williams both had just as poetic songs in their repertoire.
>>
Let's do rock–paper–scissors to see who gets the next Nobel Prize in Literature
>>
>>68577697
Yo, if were alive I could legit see Harrison getting one, don't know what category I'd put it under though. Bangladesh still gets benefit money from The Concert for Bangladesh.
>>
>>68577785
None of The Beatless deserve a Nobel anything by the way
>>
File: bEGh2QQ.png (8KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
bEGh2QQ.png
8KB, 205x246px
>tfw to intelligent to oppose Dylan's Nobel prize
>>
>>68577705
Simple in what way?
>>68577759
Their songs and something like "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" or maybe even "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" are still in two completely different categories of sophistication, though.
>>68577839
>to intelligent
>>
>>68578217
I disagree with that. Pastures of the Plenty, while not in the literal same exact form of either of the songs you mentioned, is just as poetic and literate as the two of them.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.