[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trouble tolerating Hip Hop culture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (1MB, 1300x731px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1300x731px
Trouble tolerating Hip Hop Culture

I grew up listening to hip hop. You know the story - impressionable white kid who saw hip hop as a vehicle for his rebellion and prepubescent angst.

Not to put this whole genre down, but as I grew up I grew out of my fondness for it. My intellectual pursuits, along with my emotional development, maturity and appreciation for culture and art generally required more stimuli than what hip hop was willing to offer.

As I was growing up hip hop found its way into the mainstream, both as a form of music and as cultural currency by instilling certain values and influencing attitudes and language into mainstream youth culture. I still bob my head to what I consider a good track, but I find that the overall effect of hip hop transcending into mainstream is detrimental to our youth. Lyrics generally take the form of soundbites and don't encourage prolonged reflection. It's almost ADD-enabling. Also, I feel that it's more about style and aesthetic rather than the music itself. The production process, where the actual artist has very little to do with the overall product sort of speaks to that as well. It doesn't stimulate through development, but pleases through instant gratification, like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Am I just getting old and grumpy?
>>
>>68545032
>Am I just getting old and grumpy

idk probably

get a blog honky
>>
>>68545032

>add-enabling

That's like saying music is flu-enabling or IBS-enabling. It's an illness, dumbass. Also tastes change with time, what was once appealing to you might not be any more. You do sound a bit grumpy though.
>>
>>68545032
Stay mad white boy
>>
No it's the kids who are wrong
>>
>>68545043
>>68545699

> OP makes a well-thought-out post about how hip hop lacks staying power with people who grow out of teenage angst
> rapfags respond by making fun of his being white

why are hip hop fans so fucking dense? is it because the only defense they have for their music is

> bruh it's lit
> muh bangers
> those cool negroes like it, so it must be good
>>
>>68545762
>OP makes a blog post about how a genre of music inherently lacks staying power and causes ADD because he entered his 20s
>anon gets triggered when people don't take this seriously

jesus christ get over yourself
>>
>>68545762
I mean pop music has always been vapid but catchy tunes for children and adolescents. The average person doesn't have complex emotions when listening to music(I know I sound autistic), it's either happy or sad.
Rap music is ultimately happy music, because of the idealised version of masculinity presented by the rapper. It's music with a purpose, form over function etc.
Sorry if that didn't make any sense. I'm a big fan of Waka Flocka because he's a big dumbass and I feel like less of a waste when I listen to him.
>>
>i don't like thing
>thing is bad
>am dumb????
>>
>>68545838
but Waka Flocka still made songs like this at the same time he was making shit like "Hard in da Paint":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TyuAnbGSSI

i'm not saying that every trap song is in this vein, but people who say that rap music doesn't inspire "personal reflection" just aren't listening to the words sometimes.
>>
>>68545876
Personal reflections all good and that, but the money is in the loud trap, like Flocka and Future.
But in the end it's all an act, though some are more true to life than others.
>>
>>68545962
if you want to tell me that Future's music isn't overflowing with personal reflection, including on some of his biggest hits, i really don't know what Future you've been listening to.

this stuff has always been in great rap music, including "street rap", including trap, and to say it isn't is reductive.
>>
>>68546002
Not that anom, but although it sometimes promotes (self)-reflection, I feel like most of it is partly-literate-unedicated-baby's-first-existential-crisis-tier reflection
>>
>>68546088
what are some more "literate" alternatives?
>>
>>68545762
There was no need for OP to mention he was white, so people are gonna mention it. Remember where you are.
>>
>>68546183
You're right, I shouldn't have mentioned it
>>
wah i'm too smart for rap
>>
>>68545032
>Where are the instrumental solos? Where is the boldness? Where is the Chuck Berry, the Jimmy Hendrix, the Eric Clapton of hip hop? The guys who take one for the team to raise the bar of the medium? Everyone wants the same thing it seems and that is damn scary. It seems like no matter hip hop artists try, even the most daring ones can't seem to take hip hop from the same creative swamp where it started. It seems like Dr. Dre's The Chronic is still the one to be beaten. How is this even possible, after 25 years?

>How can you even do a solo with hip hop? It seems like a near impossible task to achieve. Like Punk, there is a strong emphasis on simplicity and aggression, beats and hardcore rapping and everything else is barely considered hip hop at all. And Ironically, considering that the two beats patterns are supposed to work as a relaxing/downtempo sort of music, yet what you get in the likes of Funcrusher Plus and Tupac is the almost complete inverse/opposite of what should work musically.

>Hip Hop kind of replaced rock completely in pop culture, and indeed I have to say that ever since the 90s pop-rock/pop-punk has been sucking complete ass. Some hip hop is good in comparison. But they are still subpar. Is this what the people choose for? To go from Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, to *this* we have today? No, there's still a long path to go.
>>
>>68546484
very little of this makes sense so i guess it's a good pasta.
7.5/10
>>
>>68546159
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpbkX3wO5d8
>>
>>68546628
where should i start with the Charles Hamilton discography?
man makes a lot of music.
>>
>>68546854
I saw some dude posting some chart, I'll see if I can find it in the archive
>>
File: 1475782057472.jpg (2MB, 4000x3542px) Image search: [Google]
1475782057472.jpg
2MB, 4000x3542px
>>68546891
I think there's about 100 projects missing from this
>>
>>68547009
i'm a Lil B fan so i get the need to record every single idea you have.
but yeah, you need an entry album after a certain point.
>>
>>68546854
Sonic The Hamilton is a good start imo
>>
>>68545032
>he didn't see rock as a vehicle for his rebellion and prepubescent angst.
son I'm disappoint
>>
>>68547044
Yeah I can see that. Going through all his music was a ride in itself, the decreasing mental stability being apparent through his music and the shift in tone after incarceration and mental hospital visits followed by a more refined sound after getting help through the record label.
Looking forward to his "debut" album coming next year and there was also talks about a documentary of sorts
>>
Anyone who seriously listens to most modern hip hop is genuinely retarded. They don't see music as a real tool for expression and personality. fuck Lil B [8]
>>
>>68547339
I felt the same as you a few years ago, OP. About three quarters of the way through exploring hip hop I gave up because bit by bit my enthusiasm for something new and different dissapeared; everything was, in the end, a brown sea of similar beats with similar themes.

So what genre are you planning to move onto now, OP? Or like, what are you currently listening to after moving on from hip hop?
Me personally I moved on to mathrock, folk and indie music as well as jazz. Before that I went through a phase of electronic, though, good stuff. Plus I learned how to play a bunch of instruments, most virtuously, the piano.
>>
>>68547632
meant for >>68545032
obviously
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.