[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We havent talked enough about this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: Worry..jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Worry..jpg
8KB, 250x250px
We havent talked enough about this
>>
its very good
>>
>>68532809
thanks
>>
>>68532838
wbhoa are you rrhe real ejfr soentsock?
>>
it's pretty good, but we cool? is better imo
>>
Rosenstock is my favorite musician and Bomb the Music Industry were my favorite band for their entire existence. I have mixed feelings about the new album. The tempo is really up and down between the fast power pop songs and the slower, build-up type of indie rock songs. Whenever you get 1 or 2 catchy tracks in a row your groove is halted by one of the slower songs - which are certainly great songs, but it's never as unrelentingly pumped up like the first half of We Cool? or any album by Bomb. The previous albums spaced out these build-up tracks a little better.

The main thing I don't like is the suite at the end from Bang on the Door thru Perfect Sound Forever. Some of the tracks feel half-baked and only serve as stylistic reminders of "hey remember when I did hardcore? how about catchy songs about the summer? or living in shitty apartments?" I'd have prefered if the best couple of tracks from this suite were fleshed out into full length songs and mixed into the rest of the album. I'd love 3 minute versions of Bang on the Door, Rainbow, While You're Alive and maaaybe June 21st/Perfect Sound Whatever. and if I had these fuller songs I'd be able to reorder the tracks into something like this:

1. We Begged 2 Explode
2. Pash Ash
3. Festival Song
4. Rainbow
5. Wave Goodbye to Me
6. To Be a Ghost
7. Bang on the Door
8. I Did Something Weird Last Night
9. June 21st
10. Staring Out the Window At Your Old Apartment
11. While You're Alive
12. Blast Damage Days
13. Perfect Sound Whatever

that way you can feel the energy from tracks 2-5, have To Be a Ghost close out the A side, get pumped again on the next 3 bangers and then start building up to the end.

I've listened to it about 10 times so far. When I get a chance I'm going to sit down with the lyrics too because Rosenstock went from having like, 2 love songs in the entire back catalogue (Bomb - Big Plans of Sleeping In and Rosenstock - You In Weird Cities) to writing a whole album about his fears surrounding love.
>>
I feel so sick knowing how impossible it is.
>>
>>68534263
>Some of the tracks feel half-baked and only serve as stylistic reminders of "hey remember when I did hardcore?

100%

I Look Like Shit is my favorite of his solo material, it retains the energy of his earlier style and fluidly transitions through varying paces without being jarring. It reminds me of Adults!! a bit in that sense
>>
>>68533724
Don't listen to that anon. I'm the real Jeff.

>>68532809
thanks, anon.
>>
>>68534263
Perfect Sound Whatever is the worst closing track he's ever done. It's not a bad song, but the fact that he chose to end the album on a fade out is fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>68538174

Couldn't agree more. compared to how complex the rest of the album is. hope he re record's it with a new ending
>>
>>68538437
>hope he re record's it with a new ending
Even if people were actually vocal at him about it, I don't think that would ever have a likelihood of actually happening. Besides, nobody is going to criticize Jeff "Nicest Guy In the Punk Scene" Rosenstock, especially because the punk scene is a big pussy.
>>
>>68538174
i feel like a more traditional finale would've felt too similar to "we begged 2 explode"
>>
This is one of my favorite albums I've ever listened to.
>>
>>68539497
It is definitely my aotysf
>>
Not even a punk fan but I love this album, any reccs for albums like it?
>>
>>68539938
Check out the most recent Smith Street Band album Throw me in the River. Jeff produced it and I would say they're similar.
>>
>>68539966
>>68539938
Yeah Smith Street is basically sounds like Jeff's stuff with an Australian accent
>>
All the people saying We Cool? was better will learn in due time that they're wrong. The ambition of this album alone puts it leagues ahead of We Cool?, which at the end of the day is just a weak BTMI album. Worry sounds like Jeff is getting comfortable with his solo career a lot more, and this allowed him to get a little experimental with the arrangements, and the ending suite was fucking amazing. Tracks 10-17 are such a treat and on my first listen, it was all so seemless and catchy that I didn't immediately notice that a new song had started. The fade out ending makes sense given the theme of the latter half of the album, a big ending would ruin the flow. Then you can argue the semantics of, maybe maintaining flow isn't a good idea to begin with, but seeing as Jeff has given us big endings after big endings throughout the years, I think he can get away with one fade out. It feels right for this album.
>>
I LOVE We Cool? and don't really like Worry, but the hype it's getting around here makes me excited to listen more. I didn't like We Cool? a lot at first either.
>>
>>68540857
pretty much my thoughts exactly

and I've never heard BTMI
>>
>>68540875
Vacation is fucking awesome. It's what first got me into Jeff
>>
>>68540015
Throw Me In The River is a majorly depressing listen at times, compared to Jeff or BTMI... but I'd say everything before it is a lot more similar to Rosenstock, yeah.

They finished recording another one very recently and I hope it hits as hard as TMITR. That album is up there with Home Like Noplace or Black Sheep Boy in the making-me-cry-o-meter.
>>
>>68540895
Sponge Board / Baby Waves is a reference to a line from the surf movie Blue Crush. [13]

rad, in for later
>>
>>68540956
ur gonna love it.
>>
>>68540929
TMITR is possibly in my top 20 albums of all time. I stumbled upon them when I was drunk and alone one night right after that album came out. I drunkenly listened to it 6 times front to back and stayed up until after 4am, just amazed at how much I loved it. Put it right up there with On the Impossible Past, The 59 Sound, Home Like Noplace Is There, Stay What You Are, Something To Write Home About, Suburbia, The Upsides, etc.
>>
>>68541069
damn dude are you me? post lastfm
>>
>>68541180
I haven't used lastfm in probably 4 years. and i never scrobble
>>
>>68541193
shit well everything you listed with the exception of Get Up Kids are in my top 20 too, Suburbia and 59 Sound probably top 10. What are you listening to this year?
>>
>>68541279
Pinegrove is AOTY for me by a wide margin. Besides that (within this genre), I love Microwave, PUP, American Football, and The Hotelier. Outside this genre, I like Bon Iver, Hamilton Leithauser, Sun Kil Moon/Jesu, and Whitney. What about you?
>>
>>68538174

I'm >>68534263 and I agree wholeheartedly. Blast Damage Days is probably my favorite on the album and ending on it would have been way more romantic and impressive.
>>
It took me a while to get into We Cool? but it ended up really hitting home with me after I really stuck with the lyrics. A lot of the songs sounded samey, but it was okay because that samey sound was fucking awesome.

I was really excited about Worry but the singles were lame so I lost hype for it. Now that it's out, I'm really impressed by it and I love the lyrics as always. I hope he keeps pumping out music like this for a while.
>>
>>68541354
For alt-punk-whatever I have been listening to this year's releases from Beach Slang, The Dirty Nil, White Lung, PUP, Hotelier, MoBo. As for "others", really enjoyed what Okkervil River, Angel Olsen, Cass McCombs, La Sera, Cymbals Eat Guitars put out recently. Goodness is probably my fave this year though.

I'll check some of those bands out, never even heard of Microwave. Also, Titus Andronicus forever.
>>
>>68534263
It's because he got married.
>>
will never top scrambles
>>
Fucking amazing. Can't wait to see him live.
>>
>>68541647
>>68541354
now kiss
>>
>>68541647
>>68541354
>>68541279
>>68541069
thanks guys, you gave me a lot of stuff to listen to
>>
I don't get the hype, it's pretty boring to me. Ever hear of weezer?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.