[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do we all agree that rock music in 2016 is awfully boring?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (60KB, 546x535px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 546x535px
Do we all agree that rock music in 2016 is awfully boring?
>>
>rock
>past 1992
>>
yes. it has been for the past few years, with some exceptions

I enjoyed the new King Gizzard album though
>>
Yes. As much as I like rock, it's dead. It'll might come back though.
>>
>>68417279
Come back? Mmh, I don't think so
>>
>>68417128
https://youtu.be/FlPBextKRYE

>>
I'm sure someone will invent a new form of music able to be played with a guitar, if that's what you mean

I'm not really sure what else "rock" means at this point
>>
>>68417795
I always thought that rock standardly means analogic music played at least by a guitar, a bass and a drumset. but I repeat: standardly. of course there are exceptions and variations
>>
rock has been dead for 25 years
>>
>>68419079
OP is not stating that rock is alive, he's saying that is fucking boring even if it's supposed to be dead
>>
All music is dead desu
>>
Yes modern rock is dead but there's 50 years of rock music that im still digging through and its top knotch
>>
>>68417123
yes, rock will make a comeback in the form of techno-rock just wait and see when the hip hop fad dies out in 20 years
>>
>>68419282
>techno-rock
i really hope this isn't a thing
>>
>>68419292
>what is Kid A
>>
>>68419374
Pink Floyd
>>
Electronic music is dead (thank god!)
Folk is where it's at
>>
There has already been more rock music created than i could ever hope to listen to.

what would i need new music for?
>>
>>68417123
rock will not see a 10/10 album ever again
>>
>>68419447
Just a question, does drone metal count as rock?
>>
>>68419447
what a meme
>>
>>68419109
have we reached a point now where there's so much information available at all times it's impossible to actually create something genuinely new and exciting?
>>
>>68419374
a shitty experiment
>>
>>68419447
this
>>
>>68419428
troll
>>
>>68419447
>rock will not see a 10/10 album ever again
tbqh there were not many 10/10 albums even when rock was great.

Nowadays when bands put out albums where 1 or maybe 2 songs are good it's just impossible. People want to gain money. They'd rather not put an already produced song on an album if they can make more money putting it on the next.
>>
>>68420262
What bands are you even talking about here
>>
I never really thought about it but most of the interesting stuff I've heard this year has been electronic.
>>
>>68417818
>music played at least by a guitar, a bass and a drumset.
This is so ambiguous, that it would be impossible for it to not be boring with an unlimited amount of possibilities
>>
>>68420310
Usually when you have a guitar, a bass and a drumset you can't do electronic, ambient, hip hop, classical, field recordings, vaporwave, etc. You usually do shitty rock music
>>
>>68420363
>you can't do electronic, ambient, hip hop, classical, field recordings, vaporwave, etc
Rock bands have been incorporating electronics since the 1970s. You should probably just listen to more music.
>>
>>68419483
Of course, I heard Khanate the other day on the local alternative station.
>>
>>68420378
Pointless answer
I'm just saying it's hard (not impossible) to make rock music if you don't have at least a guitar, a bass and a drumset. Of course you can incorporate electronic instrumentation, but if:
a) you sound only "electronic"
b) you simulate all the analogic instruments with computers
it's not rock music.

The main attributes of rock are its analogic nature and the presence of a guitar. I think you can agree with that
>>
>>68420457
>Pointless answer
How so? It directly refutes your claim that rock cannot incorporate electronic, ambient, hip hop, classical, field recordings, vaporwave, etc, which they have. Do you think all rock is AC/DC?
>I think you can agree with that
Then i I think that you can agree rock, in general, has not been limited to that since the early 60s, so this point is moot.
>>
>>68420378
is this rock music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs5OfDzYqL0
>>
Arctic Monkeys will drop LP6 next year, guaranteed saviours of rock. Suck it, ya cunts
>>
>>68417123
>>68417128
>>68419079
>>68419114

Dumb bleepfags
>>
>>68420526
DON'T FEAR THE BLEEPER
>>
>>68420483
Dude, I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying rock can not incorporate electronic, hip hop, classical, etc., I'm just saying what is the base of rock music. If you have only an electronic instrumentation, can you make rock music? If you have only a guitar, can you make electronic music? It's not so hard to get this
>>
>>68420511
Gary Numann plays in various subgenres of rock.
>>
File: fb55e5ae.jpg (382KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fb55e5ae.jpg
382KB, 1200x1200px
>>68417123
>tfw metal is more creative than rock now

I used to laugh atr metalfags and now metal is most stuff I listen to
>>
>>68420539
How is this relevant to my point?
>>
>>68420557
It's relevant because if a rock album incorporates hip hop elements or electronic elements it still remains a rock album. Same if a hip hop album incorporates rock elements: it still remains a hip hop album. So what are you claiming?
>>
>>68420584
>It's relevant
It's not. I literally said
>Rock bands have been incorporating electronics since the 1970s
Which if you have a brain at all, implies that a guitar/bass/drums band is adding electronics or electronics elements to their guitar/bass/drums. Thus your point of eliminating all guitar/bass/drums or vice versa is not relevant, is it?

Please read the post you are replying to before posting
>it still remains a rock album
Exactly. Which is why it's impossible to become stale/irrelevant/uninteresting/[buzzword]
>>
>>68420542
to most people he's synthpop, but i always thought of him as a rock artist

i think it depends on point of view
>>
>>68420660
>but i always thought of him as a rock artist
I agree. I think bleepfags think rock is just Chuck Berry and make the claim "Rock is dead!" base don their incorrect perception.
>>
>>68420656
ARE YOU RETARDED OR WHAT?

let's go back to my initial statement:
>Usually when you have a guitar, a bass and a drumset you can't do electronic, ambient, hip hop, classical, field recordings, vaporwave, etc. You usually do shitty rock music
THIS JUST MEANS THAT IF YOU HAVE:
A) A GUITAR
B) A BASS
C) A DRUMSET
YOU CAN'T DO ELECTRONIC MUSIC, BECAUSE FOR ELECTRONIC MUSIC YOU NEED FUCKING ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION. OK?

your answer:
>Rock bands have been incorporating electronics since the 1970s
DID I SAY THAT YOU CANNOT ADD ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION TO YOUR GUITAR/BASS/DRUM SET? NO.

your second answer:
> It directly refutes your claim that rock cannot incorporate electronic, ambient, hip hop, classical, field recordings, vaporwave, etc, which they have. Do you think all rock is AC/DC?
DID I SAY YOU CANNOT INCORPORATE OTHER GENRES INSTRUMENTS? NO, I SAID THAT IF YOU HAVE:
A) A GUITAR
B) A BASS
C) A DRUMSET
YOU'LL PROBABLY MAKE JUST ROCK MUSIC

now get back to the very first post:
>I always thought that rock standardly means analogic music played at least by a guitar, a bass and a drumset. but I repeat: standardly. of course there are exceptions and variations
STANDARDLY: THIS MEANS THAT STANDARD ROCK USUALLY HAS:
A) A GUITAR
B) A BASS
C) A DRUMSET

now let's see what post I was answering:
>I'm sure someone will invent a new form of music able to be played with a guitar, if that's what you mean
>I'm not really sure what else "rock" means at this point
THE DUDE WAS ASKING WHAT ROCK MEANS AND I GAVE MY EXPLANATION.

NOW IF YOU WANT TO ASSERT THAT YOU CAN MAKE ROCK WITH ANY INSTRUMENTATION, GTFO OF HERE

BECAUSE, FOR THE LAST TIME:
IF YOU HAVE
A) A GUITAR
B) A BASS
C) A DRUMSET
AND ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS, YOU CAN MAKE ROCK MUSIC

BUT IF YOU HAVE:
A) ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS
YOU CAN'T MAKE ROCK MUSIC
>>
this 'rock is guitar bass and drums' thing is stupid

what do you call funk? rock?
>>
>>68420908
Change your tampon lol
>>
>>68420937
omg another retard
omfg
>>
>>68420908
>YOU CAN'T DO ELECTRONIC MUSIC, BECAUSE FOR ELECTRONIC MUSIC YOU NEED FUCKING ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION. OK?
Which I said you can ADD electronic instruments to the aforementioned.
>DID I SAY THAT YOU CANNOT ADD ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION TO YOUR GUITAR/BASS/DRUM SET? NO
Then why are you replying if you agree with me?
>NO, I SAID THAT IF YOU HAVE:
>A) A GUITAR
>B) A BASS
>C) A DRUMSET
>YOU'LL PROBABLY MAKE JUST ROCK MUSIC
Non sequitur
>THIS MEANS THAT STANDARD ROCK USUALLY HAS:
>A) A GUITAR
>B) A BASS
>C) A DRUMSET
Non sequitur
>>
>>68420955
lmao is reggae called rock now as well

how about not defining genres by instrumentation
>>
>>68420965
>Then why are you replying if you agree with me?
Are you fucking serious? You started to complain about everything, not me. I was just listing the basic instruments of rock music.
>>
>>68420999
>I was just listing the basic instruments of rock music.
And I was reminding you that can be enhanced, and bands have been doing that since the 70s.
>>
>>68420994
You probably have no idea of the Kantian distinction between form and content. Everything is given by a form and a content. The form of rock music is the instrumentation composed of guitar, bass and drumset (but obviously there are exceptions). It's not impossible that other genres have the same form as rock. What distinguishes rock from funk or reggae is the content.
>>
>>68421032
which is exactly when rock became bloated and worthless
>>
>>68421063
>What distinguishes rock from funk or reggae is the content.

right, so why try to ignore decades of people defining genres by content? just so you can make some point about rock music being dead?

you'd be better off defining rock as 'some guy, usually white, complaining over some funkless awful thin sounding music played on guitar drums and bass'
>>
>>68421032
You must be retarded, I'm sure. For the last time, I said:
>basic
You know, basic?
>>
>>68421064
Why?

Or are you the guy that thinks only AC/DC and Check Berry is actual rock?
>>68421098
Not relevant.
>>
>>68421102
>Why?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elFRG7vnxwc
>>
>>68421095
>>68421095
Finally a nice post, mate. But speaking about dead rock, I'm sure the main thing that is dead is the form. I can't imagine people making music with a guitar, a bass and a drumset in the future. That's why rock is impossible in the future. There will be nostalgic recurrences, but not a rebirth. Rock is dead primarly for the form, whereas the content may return. You can clearly make electronic music with a "rock mind/spirit".

>>68421102
You're unbearable
>>
>>68421176
Oh you're a poptimist. No wonder you get upset and confused easily

See any local scene. guitar/bass/drum music is thriving. If you like it or not is not relevant.
>>
>>68421176
i don't think those instruments are going anywhere, as long as there are middle class kids with garages there will be rock

it might be completely divorced from what made rock a thing in the first place but still
>>
>>68421239
Maye I get confused because I'm not a native English speaker.

And I'm not a poptimist. I hate pop and I used to like rock. But I think local indie scenes (which I know) are not representative of what the future is gonna sound like.
>>
>>68421245
Middle class kids nowadays make music on Garageband, Ableton and Audacity. Rock will be nothing but a nostalgic act.
>>
>>68421245
>>68421275
Lmao pianos are so old nobody is ever gonna play them in the future. Same with violins and horns xd
>>
>>68421295
poor kids use computers, what do you think grime is

to buy 3 guitars, amps, and a drum kit (not to mention the space and time to practice) you need to be middle class
>>
>>68421313
Classical music is a different question. I think it will find its own space even in the future.
>>
I think jam bands are the closest thing to rock music and can still be widely popular and relevant. They draw from all sorts of genres, including rock. Bands like Phish, Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule, SCI, and UM are pretty damn popular.
I think rock has died, but it transitioned more to jam bands since its elements are seen in their performances and songs.
>>
>>68421275
>Maye I get confused because I'm not a native English speaker
OK, well I'm not disagreeing with you. i was piggybacking on what you said, but my point is that just limiting your view of what rock is creates the notion that it is stagnant. But the truth is it evolved, and will continue to do so.
>what the future is gonna sound like.
Not relevant. If anything, the future will cease to sound like any one thing, but many different things hyper marketed to different subdemographics. The future is in niche markets, not one genre that covers everyone.
>>
>>68421320
Okay but that doesn't mean rock will give us new masterpieces in the future. (Just my opinion)

Now that I think about it, it could be that analogic instruments will be used in complete different ways to make something so weird that we won't call it rock
>>
>>68421391
>it could be that analogic instruments will be used in complete different ways to make something so weird that we won't call it rock

i fucking hope so but i don't expect it, they're too busy stuffing their faces with member berries
>>
>>68421391
>new masterpieces
What makes something a masterpiece?
>>
>>68421389
>not one genre that covers everyone
mmh, that's true (because it's the current situation too) but there is always some kind of art or spirit for which a certain period is remembered

>>68421405
I don't know guys, if I think of the future right now I can imagine electronic music with a rock spirit or analogic music with a new approach that is not rock in any way but very original and weird
>>
>>68421452
Many things, starting from a union of subjective appreciation and unanimous objective approval
>>
>>68421575
>subjective appreciation and unanimous objective approval
Oh like Queen's Night At The Opera or Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon?
>>
>>68421336
So classical music is not stagnant and gets a pass but rock is deado, got it. Do you even listen to "rock"? If you think the days of dadrock are done and over, sure I agree. But let me tell you, there's no shortage of people creating "rock" music. Jesus, a little album called Blurryface gets shitposted here on the daily. Not saying it's good, but it sure is popular enough to call 'relevant'.
>>
>>68421654
>So classical music is not stagnant and gets a pass but rock is deado, got it
That's because classical music has a very long time tradition that doesn't want to die (that's what "classic" means). It's like Latin and ancient Greeks: dead languages, but still studied all over the world. Rock music is not going to be practiced in the future because its form (as it was in the 1960s and 1970s) has evolved in something new and different. When this "form" will be dead at all, then maybe it will become something similar to classical music, who knows
>>
Yep. Listening to rock music now is stupid. It's like listening to Frank Sinatara; outdated and it dries up vaginas instead of getting them wet. Rock is meant to be scary and ballsy, but even punk (the last bastion of true rock) has been totally castrated. Hip-hop took over because it's the new genre that kids' parents hate.

Rock will never come back by the way. In twenty years literally nobody will listen to it bar old nostalgic people. There's almost no notable rock bands anymore because every single possible idea has been and perfected already, so nobody will even bother within the next decade.
>>
>>68422182
I agree.
>>
>>68422182
Great, guitar music is fucking dead. Time to learn synthesizers
>>
>>68422726
Finally
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.