[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elvis Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: BIGelvis.jpg (464KB, 700x561px) Image search: [Google]
BIGelvis.jpg
464KB, 700x561px
What's mu/ opinion on Elvis? Was he good or just Luke Justin Bieber? Is he overrated?
>>
literally who?
>>
File: mobile70h-2.jpg (38KB, 325x320px) Image search: [Google]
mobile70h-2.jpg
38KB, 325x320px
>>68399012
Good or not he was pretty based, kissing all the fans.
>>
>>68399012
Elvis may be the biggest artist that /mu/ never discusses. It's either Elvis, Bob Marley or Tupac.
>>
Elvis Presley, "the king," was the first great rock and roll swindle, and the model for all those who would follow (Beatles all). Mediocre singer, more than anything he was a clever marketing gimmick: a white man who not only sang the songs of blacks (as he had done the year before Bill Haley ), but sang and moved like a black (especially on copying the style stage of Bo Diddley ), exuding sensuality for animal and posing as a rebellious thug (while in reality it was only a face telegenic).
>>
>>68399118
Mediocre singer? He had a one of a kind voice.
>>
>>68399012
Sterilized music for people afraid to buy Little Richard records.
>>
>>68399195
Reck me some good Little Richard album
>>
>>68399195
My feel when Little Richard still alive, I wanna join the boat before he pass out. 83 years he'll be fine.
>>
>>68399012
He had a unique look, a great voice and made the right music at the right time.
He by no means made exceptional music, but it was good enough, that with everything else he had going for him, to become the cultural phenomenon he was.
>>
File: 1471570379360.jpg (51KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
1471570379360.jpg
51KB, 600x604px
>>68399118
>>
I DON'T CARE IF THE SUN DON'T SHINE

I GET MY LOVIN' IN THE EVENING TIME

WHEN I AM WI-ITH MY BABYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>68399195
Guy from the black and white times, he'll be fine.
>>
>>68399012
He never created a single song*

*just one, he was sleeping and had a dream and waked up and told his producer, lets make a music about this theme.

He even told on interview that his name are on albums as the produce, but he didnt composed shit, he found strange because this would mean he would get part of the money
>>
>>68399118
>posing as a rebellious thug (while in reality it was only a face telegenic).
It was for the time.
The problem is that creeping incrementalism happened and because of that you dont think he is a thug, in the same way people in the future wont care about current sexualized music videos
>>
>>68399108
frank sinatra is
>>
>>68399991
Wow, is it true? Really makes me think about the pop industry
>>
>>68400172
Well, it was like that pre-1960s. Most bands were singing songs written by professional songwriters with superprofessional session musicians (a la the wrecking crew) in the studio. Once the British Invasion happened and people like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones etc who actually wrote their own songs blew up it became more common for musicians to write their own stuff.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
A Valentine Gift for You [RCA Victor, 1985]

I know he invented rock and roll, in a manner of speaking, but I have news for you--that's not why he's worshiped as a god today. He's worshiped as a god today because in addition to inventing rock and roll he was the greatest ballad singer this side of Frank Sinatra--because the spiritual translucence and reined-in gut sexuality of his slow weeper and torchy pop blues still activate the hormones and slavish devotion of millions of female human beings worldwide. Beginning and ending with the schlock masterpieces "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" and "Can't Help Falling in Love" and rescuing tracks from such renowned works of phonographic art as the Viva Las Vegas EP, the Spinout soundtrack, and the Something for Everybody album, this may not be a religious experience, but it comes close. My only real complaint is Peggy Lee's (not Little Willie John's) "Fever." Because in this company I really miss "It's Now or Never." A
>>
>>68401571
But the Stones didn't write their own songs until the third/fourth studio album
>>
Highway 66 Revisited was the album where rock songwriting was born.
>>
>>68401717
Why?
>>
>>68401705
really? Must be thinking of someone else.
Point is, starting in the latter half of the 60s, bands playing songwriters' stuff became less frequent.
>>
>>68401740
Derp? That was the point where rock could be more than "She loves me she loves me do be do wah ba ba ba ba yeah!"
>>
>>68401571
"As Jerry Lieber put it, '[By 1958] we had gotten tired of writing rock and roll songs, but the money was too good to pass up."
>>
What if Elvis went psychedelic?
>>
>>68401786
That would have been either disastrous or fucking incredible. That lovely voice and proficiency as a performer would make some of the most pleasant psychedelic pop in the world. Or exposure to the wacky psych stuff would destroy all his pop sensibility that made him so popular and it would just sound terrible.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.