[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/advanced/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

Thread for those who've been listening to music seriously for 5+ years and have advanced past /mu/core, top 40 and flavor of the month shit.

Don't be offended, this is not meant to be pretentious, its just some of us have moved past Pitchfork-approved music, viral marketed rap and the latest hyped single and have more developed tastes. Do not troll or derail the thread with off-topic discussion.

Without further adieu, I wish a warm welcome to my fellow melomaniacs. Here are some discussion points to get our thread started:

>What have you been listening to recently?

>What is your opinion on the current state of American and world music?

I listened to Trout Mask Replica today and I must say, I was blown away. A revolutionary work of art and, if I dare say so, one of the best albums ever made.
>>
>Trout Mask Replica
>not /mu/core

>Muse wallpaper

not off to a great start anon
>>
Why has this album been posted so much lately? It went from no discussion whatsoever to discussion everyday.
>>
>>68390757
Just listened to Julius Eastman - Unjust Malaise, here are my first impressions:

Near the pinnacle of modern music, Eastman's repertoire is so unfairly glazed over in the overly white sophisticate as to make me sick, but to make such beautiful, inspiring works into mere political statements (though that they are, in part) would be to reduce one of the most amazing careers in music ever to nothing more than that of a typical Marxist activist, and that treatment may be a fate even worse than public ignorance.

The works on display here are titanic. "Stay on It" opens the set, and immediately, it is revealed that there is such a thing as a populist minimalist. But that is the name of the game for Eastman - a shatterer of preconceived notions, and one of the very few in the avant-garde to make John fucking Cage seem conservative by comparison (see: his outburst at Eastman's choice of material while performing one of his open-ended pieces that instructed the vocalist to "Give a lecture"). I could go on for days about how "If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?," though the worst of the set, far outstrips the careers of most modern composers entirely; how "The Holy Presence of Joan d'Arc" is a more "classical" approach for Eastman, and it succeeds endlessly; how his highly political "Nigger Trilogy" could easily be called the greatest triptych ever conceived in music; and how the "1, 2, 3, 4!" of "Evil Nigger" separates the most impactful bars of music I've yet heard.

But I won't.
>>
>>68390757
Bad bait.

But I've been listening to Milton Banana, a lot of the records Billy Higgins cut in the 70s, lots of Elvin Jones and Tony Williams with Billy Cobham thrown in the mix to break it up a bit. Nothing else lately. Transcribing a Clifford Jordan tune for a combo I play in. Some percussion works too from people like Xenakis and Ohana.
>>
>this is not meant to be pretentious
This is the most pretentious thing I have ever read. Get off your fucking high horse.
>>
muh sekret club
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: R-1114191-1193108065.jpeg.jpg (4KB, 300x285px) Image search: [Google]
R-1114191-1193108065.jpeg.jpg
4KB, 300x285px
I sat and I sat trying to tell you all these things about Quartet, about how each moment is vital to the album's importance, about how in "Aceghd," Nikos Veliotis' cello resonates with a sonorous sense of melancholy, about how in the same track, the rest of the instruments run free and somehow reassure you, about how Quartet is an emotion all to itself. But I couldn't for that very last reason, Quartet is something entirely removed from what we can really conjure up in our minds. I acknowledge the stupidity of my next statement here, but it is true: there really are no words to describe this in a just way. Nothing sounds so beautiful but so dissonant, so minimal but so alive. Quartet throbs with a lively passion that so few musicians have ever experienced, let alone recorded. It is silent but it is loud. It reminds me of departures on train stations and it reminds me of coffee with friends. It reminds me of walks in the city with a group with as much realism as it does when it reminds me of those times that I've traveled on the railroad tracks by myself. I was suspended two or three stories over the water below, looking out at a sunset that illuminated both sides of the trees. Such naturalistic simplicity is nigh impossible to replicate, but this abstract form has it down pact. It is everything you could ever want in music because it's so alive with human feeling. Quartet pulsates with the kind of natural minimalism that opens up your soul to the world arround you; it heightens the senses and soothes the soul. It is a tear-jerker; it is a portrait of all things humane (whether they be sad, happy, cold or warm); and it is an impressionist film with soft contours and blurred, black and white faces. It is the texture of the soul - nothing less but so much more.
>>
>>68390832
kek
>>
>>68390788
Good write-up
>>
>>68390757
>I listened to Trout Mask Replica today and I must say,
Sorry, this is /advanced/. some of us have moved past Pitchfork-approved music, viral marketed rap and the latest hyped single and have more developed tastes. Please stop posting if you don't wish to follow the rules of the thread.
>>
File: thugger.gif (282KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
thugger.gif
282KB, 960x640px
Young Thug is the greatest musician alive. You could even say he's the Sachiko M of our generation. He is not just another manufactured rap star, he is a complete artist. He is not someone that is being controlled by a record label. Thugger is singlehandedly one of the most innovative and unique rap artists of this decade.
He is a melodic genius, his beats are experimental, innovative, unique, he isn't afraid to experiment, he is constantly evolving and changing his style. Young Thug, from the beginning, has always pushed boundaries and has continued to make progressive music that others could only hope to imitate.
His voice is an instrument. He wants you to look beyond just the lyrics. They are there just to complement the music, they are an application of the voice as an instrument rather than a medium for verbal communication and storytelling. His voice and his sounds are something that no one else is doing. Young Thug obviously isn't a Kendrick/Drake type of rapper with outstanding rapping ability but he still manages to make better music than them.
His mixtape, Barter 6, is an extremely introspective and personal record. It allows you to better understand the perspective and emotions of Jeffrey Lamar Williams. The mixtape has become a bridge for white youth to enjoy the art of the black inner city and empathize with the likes of Thugger and that is what is so wonderful about art. We are able to see who he really is and understand him. The introductory interview at The Fader Ford shows that he is a surprisingly soft-spoken young man and it gives you all the more reason to care about him.
There was no Young Thug before Young Thug. He is not emulating anyone, he isn't trying to be anyone. He has no influences. When Check came out of nowhere, everyone loved it because nothing sounded like it.
He has accomplished so much at such a young age, can you imagine what his music is going to sound like in 5 years?
>>
File: thugger.jpg (666KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
thugger.jpg
666KB, 2000x2000px
>>68390930
Young Thug isn't a lyricist or even a rapper. He tapped into his God consciousness. There is two methods of learning in the universe. Internal & external. Learning externally is when you have a teacher teach you a specific subject. This mode of learning has it's limits because you can only gain knowledge off the external source you're learning from.
Have you ever asked yourself who created the subjects you study in school? Who created the music & arts? Did they have to obtain a degree in that particular field of study? The answer is NO! They developed those subjects from their internal intuition. What I like to call GOD CONSCIOUSNESS. When you tap into the infinite you can create and develop new forms of thought, speech, analysis, philosophy. Many of our ancestors was well aware of this. It's written in the Metu Neter of ancient Egypt.
Many of you may call Young Thug ignorant, void of thought, gay, , but he managed to create a style that has transcended hip hop into a new form of evolution like it or not. Young Thug is in tune with his God Consciousness
>>
>>68390883
>>68390770
>implying a post-memetic listening to TMR isn't /advanced/ as fuck
>>
>>68390996
It's not because everyone already posts and talks about it. It's not advanced passed /mu/. Nor was the analysis of the album advanced in any way.
>>
>>68390757
I listen to exclusively P4kcore and /mu/core but that won't stop me from posting in this thread. :^)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.