[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting a band

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
Sup /mu/ tants! Not sure if this needs to go here or at /adv/... I'm starting a shoegaze band. What advice would you give me? Do and fonts, pros and cons, blah blah blah. Thanks. Pic related Turnover.
>>
don't
>>
>>68389725

only use handwriting style fonts, don't go for sans serifs like helvetica
>>
>>68389725
use guitars with tremolos and single coil pickups - ideally fender offset style floating tremolo on jaguars or jazzmasters. use duct tape to tape the very end of the bar where it goes into the body so it's sticking out a little and doesn't get pushed all the way in

use a tube combo amp, a fender twin reverb or fender voiced amp with nice cleans and spring reverb, vox ac15 for darker, heavier, dist. british sound

pedals - fuzz of some kind (ehx big muff), rat/turbo rat, analog delay, digital reverb, digital delay, whatever else u want

open tunings, unison strings, ostrich tunings

work on actually trying to sing well and spend time on your lyrics, make sure they're good. don't get too lazy because "it's shoegaze" or you think everything will be drowned out. don't write for the sake of writing but when you actually are inspired and have something to say. it would be nice to have a female vocalist mixed in
>>
Not op, but I want to do the same thing. How should I find a singer? (or should I just sing even though I'm trash?)
>>
>>68389900
Fuck ostrich tuning. If you're going to play with some, "I can't actually play guitar" tuning then used Devin Townsend's bastardized open D.
>>
I remember being 16 too.
>>
>>68390350
i learned to shred and sweep pick over 10 years ago and enjoy playing jazz guitar but sometimes it's more fun to play outside the box and when you're dealing with the topic of this thread which is shoegaze, open tunings do well to create airy sounding atmospheres. there are loads of voicings in standard tuning that accomplish this but alt tunings opens up the possibilities. re ostrich guitar - the velvets were able to create that signature drone very well by utilizing a complete unison tuning, mbv did similar with lots of the strings in their tunings being the same note as well to create that lush chorus and drone
>>
Holy fuck Mayonaise is a good song

Subtle bends on the third and fifth of the root chord, slow tempos and a lot of fuzz, Multiple guitars playing different voicing of chords
Major 7th and sus2 chords are good choices
Etc
I have tried swollen pickle and big muff fuzzes and I like them both

Apparently mbv didn't use fuzz pedals and they used "reverse delay"
Shields dives his whammy bar with his strums quite often and he has 2 strings tuned to the same note
>>
>>68389900
I actually do agree that people probably often think they can be lazy with their singing and lyrics, chord choices etc. I've heard a lot of shoegaze and a lot of it I can't get behind. But the bands I do like I am amazed by their work.

I think write an acoustic versus and make sure the song holds up without your effects.
>>
>>68389725
Gonna see them and Sorority Noise friday next week super stoked
>>
>>68389725
Such a great album.
>>
>>68390558
mbv did use fuzz (and distortion)
they used the reverse reverb setting on a yamaha spx90 effects rack unit
kevin shields' "glide guitar" technique is more just hold the bar as you play and very gently and subtly dipping it when you strum chords, shields describes it as a subconscious thing, his bar is modified (end taped so it sticks out)
some of the common tunings they used:
EBEEBE
DADAAD
EADGCF
it's more the voicings than anything, lots of songs were in standard as well
>>
>>68390599
If you don't do this then your textures have to be insanely good and you should be able to stand out from other shoegaze groups just by listening.

Still wanna back good songwriting though. If the chord progression isn't dreamy without effects then they won't be much good to you.
>>
>>68390654
hahahaha no that album sucks
generic pop punk passed through reverb
>>
>>68389725
Learn to play your instrument first.
>>
File: 65210770.jpg (97KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
65210770.jpg
97KB, 400x400px
>>68390599
Thanks for that! Will do! OP
>>
>>68390726
Sounds like you've never heard pop punk before.
>>
>>68390613
Both great live performances!!!
>>
>>68391269
Neat hopefully I can get my faggot friends to go with me so I won't be there alone
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.