[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hip Hop/Rap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: jay-z-nas.jpg (59KB, 725x365px) Image search: [Google]
jay-z-nas.jpg
59KB, 725x365px
Who's the better rapper /mu/?
Jay Z or Nas?
>>
Quite obviously Nas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_srvHOu75vM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTzhjjk9VoE
>>
>>68388812
Does Nas have better punchlines, better metaphors, better entendres, better similies, or whatever other clever literary techniques exist that rappers use?
No, the closest he gets to Jay in that regard is on Untitled and the Life Is Good bonus tracks Nasty and Black Bond.
Literally the only skills he trumps Jay in his multi-syllable/internal rhyming, which Jay is also incredibly adept at, and storytelling.
So no, there's nothing "clear" about it.
>>
>>68388917
I didn't say clear you dipshit lmao
>>
>>68388971
You said quite obviously broham.
>>
id say nas is overall better but i probably slightly prefer jay z over nas atm
>>
>>68388985
And you quoted "clear"

In all seriousness Jay-Z is absolutely good, but Nas has more complicated rhyming schemes and (this part is subjective) more real and relatable subject manner
>>
They're both good, but I prefer Nas. Mobb Deep is great but is very unsettling. Apparently Kendrick Lamar runs a label called TDE? And there's some of his discography I haven't heard.
>>
>>68388971
Also Jay-Z is only as popular as he is because he's literally Illuminati
>>
File: 1470038358215.jpg (56KB, 499x628px) Image search: [Google]
1470038358215.jpg
56KB, 499x628px
>>68389026
is this true?
>>
>>68389009
You say real and relatable, I say I can care less about whether it's real or relatable when I find the song writing poor and the style repetitive (this goes for Jay on certain projects as well).

I'd much rather listen to a Jay verse than Nas give me what I see as a pseudo intellectual spiritual rap and talk about Pharaoh's and being God's Son.
Jay's character is one I identify with much more than Nas's, so that's one issue.

I find that Jay's rhyme schemes while not being as complex on average (while still being fantastic), is made up for in the other clever aspects of rhyming he excels in.
He's a more well rounded poet imo, while Nas is typically (obviously he breaks out of this mold to great success with his Untitled album) stuck with basic similes and descriptive storytelling.

I find that this gap between the two is most blatant on Jay's American Gangster project.
>>
>>68389042
Yes.

>>68389229
Everything I've heard from Jay is at or a small step above common early 2000's radio rap. I've literally never heard a Jay-Z song that impressed me with his ability to rap to the level Nas does.
>>
>>68389317
If you think that it's because you either let other narratives you believe about Jay's character and career cloud your judgement (hence your Illuminati comment), or you just haven't gave his discography a real listen.
>>
>>68389500
I don't know man, what do you think is his most impressive song?
>>
>>68389586
I don't think any artist unless they're exceptionally poor has a singularly most impressive song.

I believe his skill is demonstrated to the highest degree song to song on Reasonable Doubt and American Gangster, but I could pull content from literally every album, not to mention his features and loosie non album tracks, his tracks on soundtracks, and his features.

Let me know what you've heard from him first, and what your full perception of him is at this moment and why.
>>
>>68389726
I don't remember what I heard from him first, because I was a child listening to him in the car. I've heard pretty much every song he released until Death of Autotune and that album. I don't like or dislike his personality, I just don't think his rap is that interesting.

It's the typical money and dick swinging with good rhyme schemes. Can you see why people at least feel that Nas is more raw and real?
>>
Bad thread
>>
>>68389861
Here's one issue.
You said nothing from Jay has been able to convince you that he's able to rap to the same level as Nas, and then you bring up subject matter.
Subject matter has nothing to do with rapping ability, and one of my posts above lay's out certain aspects of rapping that Nas isn't proficient in, that Jay is, and that's something that could be gleamed from briefly perusing their debut albums.

I can see why people would consider Nas "rawer and realer" though, but I believe Jay has always touched on a wide variety of topics, even amidst and within all of his braggadocio tracks, though Nas certainly has done more.

Since you've listened through most of his work, I'd say the best way for you to learn more about Jay is just to do it again with a more critical eye.

If you have a Reddit account (blasphemy) I'd be more than willing to message you and walk you through it all, as well as provide you with more obscure tracks and Jay projects.

Post a Nas verse that you think demonstrates his skill and explain why, then I'll try to match with a Jay verse.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.