[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to passable top 40 alt rock?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

File: The-Killers-Hot-Fuss.jpg (541KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
The-Killers-Hot-Fuss.jpg
541KB, 1000x1000px
What happened to passable top 40 alt rock?
>>
EDM became the cool thing. There's still top 40 alt rock from time to time but little to none is passable
>>
yeah I don't know why people lament bands like my chemical romance and fall out boy so much I mean they weren't that good but I miss when they could play emo influenced music on the radio
>>
>>68381240
albums like that started showing up
>>
>>68381565
Huh? Hot Fuss is arguably THE best top 40 album musically of the 00's.
>>
>>68381364
I would argue that Hip Hop became the cool thing before EDM, and even when edm was at its peak it still wasn't as big as hip hop.
>>
>>68381632
Hip Hop was the cool thing while top 40 alt rock was a thing.
>>
idk man
00s were the shit for pop rock
>>
I honestly miss that brief period in the early 2000s where there was this sort of chilled out indie-but-not-really-that-indie pop going around on top 40 radio. Shit like Pumped Up Kicks and Somebody I Used to Know. Borderline dream pop shit.
>>
Very good question OP. What were some other bands beside the killers that made good pop rock in that era?
>>
>>68381665
>early 2000s

>"Pumped Up Kicks" is a song by American indie pop band Foster the People. It was released as the group's debut single in September 2010

>"Somebody That I Used to Know" is a song written by Belgian-Australian singer-songwriter Gotye, featuring New Zealand singer/guitarist Kimbra. The song was released in Australia and New Zealand by Eleven Music on 5 January 2012

wew lad, underage much?
>>
>>68381665
>Pumped Up Kicks
>Somebody I Used to Know
>early 2000s
what are you smoking
>>
>>68381700
Shit, I meant early 2010s.

There's no real excuse for this sort of shit though, I apologize.
>>
>>68381688
>The Strokes
>Artic Monkeys
>Franz Ferdinand
>Interpol
>Arcade Fire
>Snow Patrol
>Bloc Party
>Vampire Weekend
>Two Door Cinema Club
>The Bravery
>Yeah Yeah Yeahs
>The Fray
>Hot Hot Heat
>>
>>68381730
I was salty because you were reminiscing the times of only 5 years ago. We were just there!
>>
>>68381741
Shit moves by fast, man.

It weirds me out constantly that Fallout Boy is still popular on the radio when I heard them ten fucking years ago.
>>
Here's a really good pop rock song. I used to find so much stuff like this listening to alt nation on Sirius XM from like 2006-2010. I need to get that shit back in my car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DbcAl3EbIs
>>
>>68381805
here's another
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl8GwLX_p6g
>>
File: animegirlsdisgusted.png (806KB, 1300x417px) Image search: [Google]
animegirlsdisgusted.png
806KB, 1300x417px
>>68381731
>the fray
>>
>>68381816
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ZhBAylbN4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyBl5ZgnEr4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAyZRszhqa0
>>
>>68381765
Hardly. I remember it all as if it was yesterday. You shouldn't have nostalgia from 5 yeara ago unless you aren't old enough to post here. Redditard
>>
>>68382125
Gotcha. Never mind the fact I was fourteen in 2005. More fun to be a faggot instead.
>>
>>68382125
If you were 12 in 2010 you'd be 18 now
>>
>>68382152
14 in 2005.
>>68382171
12 in 2010

Jesus I am seriously getting old.

For reference, I was born in 1988. Why am I still here?
>>
>>68382199
You're 28? Are you employed? Self-sufficient?
>>
>>68382217
I am employed. I make some decent money as a Music Teacher. I still never had a gf though. Good life overall.
>>
>>68382237
Why no GF?
>>
>>68382275
Autism. Plus I am half Mongolian, Half Italian. Hapa males don't attract women you know.
>>
>>68382305
Well good luck with that man. You live in the States?
>>
>>68382237
music teacher? like band class? how's that?
>>
>>68382334
Yes. I live in Arizona. It is sometimes comfy over here but mostly hot.
>>68382420
Yeah, I teach High School Level band.
I work both during and after marching season. Sometimes the kids can be a handful but they are pretty decent preformers. Their taste in music ranges from plain pleb to suprisingly partrician. Then again, they are just kids.
>>
>>68382530
That's good to hear. When I was in band and marching in high school I always liked just chilling with my friends and shooting the shit with my director.
>>
The Killers are garbage. Why some anons think it's good again?
>>
>>68382604
JENNY WAS A FRIEND OF MIIIIIINE
ALL THESE THIIIINGS THAT IIIIIVE DOOOOONE
ANDYYY YOU'RE A STAAAARRR
ITS NOT CONFIDENTIAL I GOT POTENTIAL
IM MR BRIIIIIGHTSIIIIIIDE
>>
>>68381240
Yeah man, where is the true rock like Gun n Roses, not that faggy indie shit lmao you think these bois can handle the guitar play good luck with that they can't even make money to get going (despite the so-called loyal fanbase that is present in every show, or wait they aren't, they are listening to music of their so called fav artists on mp3s in their faggy nu-male ipods) Lol, alts and indies just make music for some faggy middle class stoned faggies that will kill themselves in a few years. Irrelevant. See Kurt Cobain's fate. This is what happens when you are into alt rock. True rock is rageful, lust, uprising, arena for the people. Queen, the greatest fags of all time man. If you cant into true rock then dont call your music rock. You are alt fag not alt rock.
>>
Max Martin, Sia and Zedd happened. Those fuckers produce everything now.
>>
>>68381665
I legitimately miss the Gotye era. It made me go out and import all The Basics albums. They're a good band.
>>
>>68381565
Hot Fuss is one of the best rock records to be released since the advent of indie
>>
COMING OUT OF MY CAGE AND I'VE BEEN DOING JUST FINE
>>
>>68382913
Bold statement.
>>
>>68383021
Rock has been shit ever since indie came around dude. Hot Fuss made it fun again for forty minutes
>>
>>68382604
They are technically good. Some of their songs are surprisingly complex for pop rock.
>>
I like the killers but i prefer their earlier work when they were called new order.

Haha havent posted that in 10 years
>>
>>68381240
I remember when this album came out. I don't remember anyone but high school girls liking it. Same is pretty much true for all the bands >>68381731 listed.

I'm not saying this to shit on those bands. I'm mentioning it because if you were around back then, you'd probably have a different perception, probably closer in line to what you think of current pop/rock bands. And you can take that two ways: older bands suck more than you think, or newer bands suck less than you think.
>>
they snagged one of the coolest band names ever to be quite honest
>>
>>68381731
thanks for listing my middleschool taste.
>>
>>68381731
>Bloc Party

silent alarm was one of the albums that pushed me to start learning to play guitar
>>
>>68383374
I understand that this is the more correct way of thinking about everything but I really do believe the quality of pop music spiked when indie broke through in the 2000's. Particularly bands like Vampire Weekend, The National, Interpol, and like OP said The Killers. It was all being influenced by post-punk and 90's indie rock and while it was a lesser version of it, it was still pretty cool. In the 2010's folk pop took over with Mumford and Sons and Edward Sharpe and everything went to shit. I don't know. I really don't think it's the rose tinted glasses.
>>
Jesus I forgot how vicious that bass line is on Jenny Is A Friend Of Mine.
>>
And that fucking stereo production on Mr Brightside is so good. Sounds like The Broken Social Scene man. I think I just forgot that the killers are actually good.
>>
One of those rare albums where almost every song could have been a single
Popular indie was better back then, I have to admit
>>
>>68383599
I'm not a huge fan of any of those things, so for me I really don't see a difference. I read a guitar magazine interview once with the main Mumford guy, and while I don't like the music, he comes across as an intelligent person with solid musical influences.

It think once the fad dies down, people will look back on the folk-pop thing similarly to what you're doing. And they won't be "wrong," they're just listening to it from a new angle that we aren't coming from.
>>
>>68381632
Hip Hop has pretty consistently been popular since the late 90's, though it's definitely grown since then.

EDM being popular has been a recent thing.
>>
>>68382604
They're not that bad, Sam's Town is a pretty good record and so is their debut. They're as harmless as most trash discussed here.

They lost me on Battle Born, which sounds like they really, really wanted to be the new Bruce Springsteen.
>>
File: 1471162839695.gif (2MB, 649x472px) Image search: [Google]
1471162839695.gif
2MB, 649x472px
>>68381902
The fray have some good tunes lad
>>
>>68382604
The Killers are great, there's at least one killers song out there that you're bound to love, anon.

Don't know how you could dislike them to the point of them being "garbage" anyway. Unless you just came in the thread and seen everyone liked them and your /mu/ contrarian instincts kicked in.

Anyone listen to any of Brandon's solo stuff? Pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX5fAb76r-U
>>
>>68381240
It never existed.
>>
>>68381665
>early 2000s
how old/young are you
>>
>>68381741
grandpa detected
>>
>>68384938
he's corrected himself already you fucking dogpiler

read
>>
Too much rap and dance shit ate into the "teenage girls who hate daddy" market
>>
>>68382913
the killers are easily one of the best post-punk/nu wave revival bands from the early 2000s
>>
Women ruined music.
>>
Pop music adopted EDM, which is driven by producers, not bands or singers.

>The Chainsmokers Featuring Halsey
>Major Lazer Featuring Justin Bieber & MO
>DJ Snake Featuring Justin Bieber
>The Chainsmokers Featuring Daya
>Gnash Featuring Olivia O'Brien
>Calvin Harris Featuring Rihanna
>The Chainsmokers Featuring Phoebe Ryan
>Hailee Steinfeld & Grey Featuring Zedd

These are the credits for Top 20 songs at the moment. .
>>
>>68385003
Do you mean the band or the sex?
>>
File: BrandonFlowers.png (93KB, 639x360px) Image search: [Google]
BrandonFlowers.png
93KB, 639x360px
>>68384902
>>
>>68385069
the sex

The band is shit too
>>
>>68381240
Record labels stopped giving rock bigger promotion. If they were played on the radio and the big music channels, then there would be plenty in the Top 40.
>>
>>68383599
>lesser versions of it
TOTBL stands among the post-punk classics you baka gaijin
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.