[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/trad/ - smarted edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

Studies have shown that listeners of traditional music tends to have higher IQ (Rajish, 2001; Granqvist, 2009) and significantly higher levels of education (Jusef & Berk, 1984; Williams & Hindeman, 2001; Granqvist 2003). This correlation seems to be unidirectional, as listeners of traditional music have a higher incidence of higher education, while people with higher education up to masters level do not have a significantly higher incidence of traditional listeners (Jusef & Berk, 1984). However, there does seem to be a higher overall incidence of listeners of traditional music, art music, and jazz in people at a post-doctoral level (Howitt, 1999).

In a study by Tord Broberg (1992), it was revealed that listeners of traditional music had a significantly lower incidence of depression, ADHD, autism spectrum disorders and schizophrenia compared to other genres of music.

Overall it seems that listeners of traditional music are smarter, more educated and have better mental health than fans of other genres. So how come you don't listen to traditional music /mu/?
>>
I wouldn't be surprised if the mental health thing was true.
>>
>>68379804
Maybe, but there's probably at least one underlying variable that would not be controlled for, and that's general lifestyle. I don't think there's a direct relationship between genre of music and mental health, but there might be a relationship between a less "prestige"-focused lifestyle and mental health, which I assume many listeners of traditional music live by. They might experience less stress and as such be less likely to trigger mental diseases.
>>
^
>>
>>68379741
I do sometimes. Well go on OP share some so we can listen.
>>
Love this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84yTZRuAZkI
>>
File: spoonfeeding-teachers-021.png (348KB, 960x648px) Image search: [Google]
spoonfeeding-teachers-021.png
348KB, 960x648px
>>68380268
>share some
>>
>>68380296
>on a music board
>doesn't want to share music to talk about
>thinks showing people anything is spoonfeeding
>knows 90% of the things they know because someone "spoonfed" it to them

nice b8 anon flustered me for a sec ;-m
>>
>>68379741
You really are the epitome of avant-teen, caring more about image than the music itself, making tallies of how many countries trad music you listened to.

Why did you stop listening to classical again?

~Hampus "I've been listening to classical music since I was a kid, but somehow I'm unfamiliar with some of the most influential and popular pieces of classical music" Grönvall
>>
>>68380325
>doesn't want to share music to talk about
You can find music yourself, or request specific examples.
>thinks showing people anything is spoonfeeding
Nope, spoonfeeding is spoonfeeding.
>knows 90% of the things they know because someone "spoonfed" it to them
Now this is projecting!
>>
>>68380435
you're not very nice
>>
>>68380455
He's Swedish.
>>
File: World music list.png (799KB, 1356x2953px) Image search: [Google]
World music list.png
799KB, 1356x2953px
>>68380455
Nice observation.

Here have some spoonfeeding. This is gonna be a primer chart some day.
>>
>>68380488
why are you so indignant about uploading a png file? honestly asking. if someone irl asked you for some recommendations you would just lecture them about spoonfeeding?
>>
>>68380512
If someone asked told me "give me albums to listen to!!" I would tell them to go fuck themselves and figure out what they want to listen to themselves. If someone asked "Hey I liked this or this or would like to start listening to this, what can you recommend?" I'd see if I knew anything to suggest.
>>
>>68380528
I hope you can find a way to get rid of your anger. have a nice day :) and thank you for the list
>>
>>68380528
I would ask you to recommend me some shit but you already shit up the thread with your faggot argument

>>68380268
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKP-o-cXak
>>
>>68380488
>countires
>>
>>68380695
man I have field recordings I did of that exact part around the 2:45 mark with the shinto flutes, really tripped me out
>>
File: tumblr_mvfakpU8IL1rthkuko1_250.gif (2MB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvfakpU8IL1rthkuko1_250.gif
2MB, 245x245px
Who /calypso/ here?

>Calypso is a style of Afro-Caribbean music that originated in Trinidad and Tobago during the early to mid-20th century and spread to the rest of Caribbean Antilles and Venezuela. Its rhythms can be traced back to West African Kaiso and the arrival of French planters and their slaves from the French Antilles in the 18th century.
>>
>>68380695
rifl

>>68380721
damn, better fix it
>>
>>68379741
I like traditional music but it's frustrating because so many of it is inaccessible. The very few trad folk I've enjoyed was of the Balkans seeing as I'm a ruski myself
>>
>>68380799
You mean that shitty nigger genre that only has exuma to justify its existence?
>>
>>68380925
Epic
>>
This pretentious fedora bullshit aside, can anyone recommend some good Japanese drumming compositions and performances?
>>
>>68380925
Not sure which is funnier, the crap racism or the cliche /mu/ ignorance, the list goes on amirite
>>
>>68379741
I'm embarrassed to admit to liking trad because of people like hampus
>>
File: IMG_20161009_162453.jpg (13KB, 281x307px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161009_162453.jpg
13KB, 281x307px
>>68379741
>filename
>>
>>68381011
Great success.

>>68380896
Do you mean inaccessible in the sense that it's difficult to find, or difficult to understand?
>>
File: 01.jpg (918KB, 2893x1460px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
918KB, 2893x1460px
>>68380950
I only know one album entirely dedicated to Japanese percussion instruments.
>>
So which country made the best folk music?
>>
>>68382061
AMERICA

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!
>>
*world music
>>
>>68382061
>turning art into a petty competition for nationalists

kys you're self
>>
File: wt43.jpg (49KB, 511x493px) Image search: [Google]
wt43.jpg
49KB, 511x493px
>put on some world music
>some subhuman moans in my ear while he hits some bells and drums

So..............this...............is............the.....power.......of...............trad......."""""""music"""""""
>>
>>68382681
wow, don't you guys think swjs are as bad as /pol/ posters? like racism is totally stupid, zizek told me race doesn't exist
>>
>>68379741

even if [kekfilename.bat], it wouldnt suprise me that certain social backgrounds where you have more ppl with higher education are more linked to this music. My experience showed me that it didnt have much to do with income, but more with academics. Most ppl I know who are into that are professors, researchers, self acclaimed intellectuals, artists etc...
>>
>>68382702
yeah and that stirner is truly a smart man too ha, race is a spook :D
>>
>>68382766
>>68382766
That really demonstrates the directional problem. Do more highly educated listen to trad music, or does trad music make it more likely that you're highly educated? Probably the former, as higher education tends to lean itself toward more appreciation of art in general (the reasons for that can be discussed at length)
>>
>>68379836
My reasoning was that mental illness is fostered by modern values (not that it's the only thing), and that traditional music listeners are more likely to have more traditional values. A "keeping up with the Joneses" type of value in a person or even a society I imagine would lead to a lot of neuroticism and overbearing self-scrutiny. Envy is a normal emotion but it's intensified greatly by consumerism and the ubiquity of consumerist ideas via advertising being fucking everywhere. There are even monitors on gas pumps now that play advertisements, and I've even seen an actual gas faucet with a print ad on it right where one would look when putting it in the car. People that appreciate culture from before this nonsense will probably hate this, and feeling opposed to that sort of thing and not identifying yourself as part of that world that creates something like gas pump ads will make you more skeptical of that value.
That felt really rambly and maybe inarticulate but I'm phoneposting. I'm surprised this thread is still up. I'm personally not deep into traditional but the way my thought have been going lately it's definitely something I will appreciate when I'm finally able to get into it.
>>
>>68379836
I said that like I was disagreeing with you to begin with, but envy does have to do with prestige. I meant to different taste you mentioning lifestyle when I was talking about values. Values and lifestyle are related too, but o think they can be very separate. I have a lot of cognitive dissonance regarding how I think about things and how I behave. Addiction is a great example of how I think values and lifestyle can totally oppose each other. No one wants to be an addict.
>>
>>68385698
*Differentiate
>>
>>68385650
>>68385698
I want to both agree and disagree with several of these things, but because I actually study psychology and don't know the specific details at the moment I feel like I really shouldn't say anything.
>>
Sure is dead thread
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.