[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't I find Radiohead challenging anymore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: e3c43867.jpg (98KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e3c43867.jpg
98KB, 600x600px
Why don't I find Radiohead challenging anymore
>>
>>68377700
because they stopped challenging themselves
>>
>>68377716
When, anon? I actually enjoy them but they can be a bit of a bore sometimes.
>>
>>68377700
they're latest album was kinda boring desu
>>
>>68377741
Probably the most this album and TKOL

I feel like Thom was kinda checked out for TKOL and was sick of a lot of backbeat music he'd been in for twenty years, but got a big release when he broke up with his kinda wife. The action of divorce was stressful so not a lot of new came out of AMSP but it's the first time Thom's really had fun with it in a long time, which you can see in the live shows

Also Jonny was maybe more invested elsewhere for TKOL but kicked the fuck out of AMSP, with killer arrangements despite mosty Ok at best tunes

Probably why the best tracks on the album are the first and Glass Eyes
>>
>>68377784
Is Desert Island Disk's main riff Jonny's or Thom's? I was glad to hear more guitar stuff on AMSP after the last album they put out. TKOL was great with the empahis on textures and rhythms, but I always miss the OK Computer era guitar playing from Jonny and Ed.
>>
>>68377784
Decks dark was really strong too
>>
>>68377700
They were never "challenging"

If you really want to be challenged, start listening to 20th century classical
>>
>>68377917
Can you name some specific artists/peices? I'm interested
>>
>>68377784
the first track on AMSP is the only one i cannot stand
>>
>>68377716
>>68377759
>>68377784
I think something a lot of people don't realize is that Kid A was their only real attempt at specifically making an amazing album.
>Pablo Honey was a record deal, they're still a punk group
>The Bends was when they started to care about making better music, still radio/concert-friendly
>OK Computer is where they tried to make the best of what they could do (with rock and a bit of computer experimenting), still radio/concert-friendly
>Kid A is where they realized that people thought OK Computer was a 10/10 album while they felt like they were just making a good rock album (see their reaction after its success), so they tried to actually make the perfect album and wanted to try new things like electronic music. They have repeatedly said they cannot top this.
>Amnesiac is like a lesser statement of the same thing with the change in direction and literally a collection of more electronic music that they made for the sake of making it
>Hail to the Thief was the same, but more of a return to rock. It's almost easy-listening, alternative rock.
>In Rainbows was worked out as a reaction to HTTT's criticism of it being an uneven listen. They find a middle ground between electronic and rock along with all the members physically performing to the best of their musical abilities.
>The King of Limbs was a more ambient album, less fan-servicy and more artsy. A beautiful electronic/acoustic experiment. A bit of a turnoff for the normies storming in after In Rainbows and the OKC oldfags but also their most interesting, abstract work
>A Moon Shaped Pool is a quiet, self-reflective return to music after Toronto. Has music focusing on Thom's breakup but tries to be more pleasant than the usual complex Radiohead album. Like a really long, acousticy, slow Amnesiac. Another turnoff with people praying for a new IR/Kid A/OKC but not a bad album either. They are getting old but it's also embraced in their work. It's just what they felt like.
>>
>>68378329
>Kid A is where they realized that people thought OK Computer was a 10/10 album while they felt like they were just making a good rock album (see their reaction after its success), so they tried to actually make the perfect album and wanted to try new things like electronic music. They have repeatedly said they cannot top this.
>Amnesiac is like a lesser statement of the same thing with the change in direction and literally a collection of more electronic music that they made for the sake of making it

I hope you realize that all of this is bullshit?

First off, Kid A was about how Thom had broken down, and how he was sick of melodies. All he wanted was 'Rhythm'

And as for Amnesiac, That was all recorded the same time Kid A was. Instead of releasing a double LP, the released it separately

Please take time to know what you are talking about before shitposting
>>
radiohead sucks
>>
File: boiii.jpg (68KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
boiii.jpg
68KB, 540x960px
>>68378401
You swallow
>>
>>68378388
>First off, Kid A was about how Thom had broken down, and how he was sick of melodies. All he wanted was 'Rhythm'
That's what I'm saying. He'd heard about Aphex Twin and Alice Coltrane and so many other corners of music besides their rock music that was swallowed by crowds and radio. It's literally them all-out trying to make universally perfect music.
>And as for Amnesiac, That was all recorded the same time Kid A was. Instead of releasing a double LP, the released it separately
It was. It was similar and extra content but less boastful of an release. Kid A was "the album", Amnesiac was the music they wanted to make/play. It's like an artist with their masterpiece and an artist with their favorite music
>>
>>68378401
they just make music for normies
>>
File: 1475832898921.jpg (31KB, 498x569px) Image search: [Google]
1475832898921.jpg
31KB, 498x569px
Moon shapes pool is kinda meh desu
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.