[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has your musical taste ever impaired your social life? Or improved it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 18

File: _20161011_093804.jpg (96KB, 682x611px) Image search: [Google]
_20161011_093804.jpg
96KB, 682x611px
Has your musical taste ever impaired your social life?
Or improved it?
>>
my lifestyle dictates my death style
>>
>>68376443

impaired

i dont like any of the music my friends like anymore

nobody lets me play music at gatherings anymore

i think they only invite me around out of habit now

but at least im patrician

right?

im happy by myself

i think
>>
>>68376467
you get invited. that's all that matters

just be sure you're a patrician and not a contrarian. You can still enjoy shit music, especially when drinking
>>
my taste in music is one of the only interesting things about me tbqh so i guess helped
>>
File: metalhead2.jpg (91KB, 593x600px) Image search: [Google]
metalhead2.jpg
91KB, 593x600px
Impaired

All I want to do is praise darkness but everyone just wants fun mortal music
>>
File: dew.png (291KB, 480x588px) Image search: [Google]
dew.png
291KB, 480x588px
some anon said it really well before
i went from having an inferiority complex to a superiority complex
>>
File: image.jpg (93KB, 469x526px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 469x526px
>>68376467
This makes me really sad
>>
Impaired. Too much Joy Division and Cure in my mid-teens fucked me right up until my early twenties.
>>
>>68376443
Impaired more than anything because most of the people I know only like normie pleb music and my taste is just far enough out there that nine times out of ten people either only tolerate what I like or actively dislike it, and I feel the same about what they listen to.

Shit sucks honestly but I like what I like and wouldn't stop listening to it to please others.
>>
>>68376443
I've pretended to like Foo Fighters for the sake of conversation and it normally goes pretty good.
If I'm lucky I'll manage to get them to listen to other rock bands. If I'm really lucky, Rush.
>>
File: e8d.jpg (39KB, 460x403px) Image search: [Google]
e8d.jpg
39KB, 460x403px
>>68376467

you ok anon?
>>
>>68376443
Drill rap cured my social anxiety
>>
File: 1355470318103.jpg (100KB, 680x526px) Image search: [Google]
1355470318103.jpg
100KB, 680x526px
>>68376467
>i think

fuck man
>>
I try not to talk about music unprompted so... neither?

I mean, don't you hate it when people babble about their hobbies?
>>
>>68376925
Drill rap is normie music
>>
>>68377010
>>
>>68376856
Color and Shape is amazing
>>
>>68377005
Not if I like the person, no
>>
>>68376443
In my teens I'd get drunk at parties, occupy the music system and put on Lorca, Hejirar or Suicide like some edgy faggot. I was quickly ostracized, ashamed of it even to this day.
>>
>>68377115
Bear in mind, everyone in this thread is a /mu/tant
>>
Neither. I gave my friend links to mucore but thats about it.
>>
>>68376443
My musical taste pretty much narrates my life.
It's uncomforting how many songs relate to me, and how some of them in particular describe an entire section with so much detail.
>>
>>68376465
underrated post
>>
it doesn't affect it one way or the other really

Then again, i think it's a hobbie i prefer to keep to myself for the most part, with a few exceptions, and i just talk to my friends about other stuff.
>>
>>68377378
danke

its plagiarized
>>
>>68377150
At least it wasn't Trout Mask Replica. I managed to play it off as a joke I think though. Was during the classic "i am suprerior taste" phase that luckily wasnt too long.
>>
>>68377049
gross picture. fuck you normie. get the fuck out, condescending piece of shit asshole.
>>
>>68376443
Mostly improved
Both my ex and my current gf have had mostly the same musical taste as I have
Also met a nice 9/10 girl with a weird-ass music taste, took me to weird music and spoken word shit, fuck man my life has been god since I really discovered music
>>
>>68377410
t
h
i
s
>>
>>68376443
My music knowledge has improved my social life because i can discuss most well known albums/bands, making it easier to connect with some people.

My taste has hurt me though, now i judge people who name drop certain bands, and i have trouble containing my autism, i keep quite when i think something negative about others taste but it alienates me a little.
>>
>>68377894
This 100%
>>
>>68376443
It hasn't impaired or improved it because I don't talk about music to most people besides 2 of my friends who listen to somewhat similar stuff as me.
>>
>>68377479
Goddamnit. Took me until 23 to learn
>>
>>68376467
Why the fuck is /mu/ so autistic? Get some fucking pop/ art pop music or whatever around when you play music for normies unless you know exactly what their tastes are. Don't go around playing Trout Mask Replica at your top 40 listener friends.
>>
Definitely improved. Turns out the kid who annoyed me at recess in the 8th grade has decent taste. Typical /mu/core, but there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>68376443
"do you listen to normal music too?" I'd say impaired desu

Also post the most absurd thing that you heard in a conversation with a pleb.
>"I don't know who AC/DC are. Ah that one, oh I heard'em"
>"I don't know who Daft Punk are. Ah that one, oh I heard'em"
>>
>>68377410
This is me
>>
Not really because when I'm hanging out with friends I'd honestly rather listen to upbeat normie tunes than any of my stuff. Especially when drinking
>>
>>68376443
Listening to nothing but Pink Floyd with a head full of acid had definitely changed me for the better
>>
>>68379809
dudelmao
>>
>>68376443
I met my current girlfriend through our mutual love of Gary Moore. I turned her on to John Norum and she turned me on to Doug Aldrich, so I'd say that worked out pretty well!
>>
File: juttu2.jpg (26KB, 365x556px) Image search: [Google]
juttu2.jpg
26KB, 365x556px
Improved.
>Go to Kaladesh prelease with Neubauten-logo'd bag
>Friend comes over
<Eeeey my dad plays that band to me!
>mah nigga

>Introduce Murmuüre and Neubauten to friend
>Likes
>>
>>68379846
Did you pull anything good though
>>
>>68379953
Chandra from first booster
>>
>>68379984
Nice
>tfw got a foil smug copter from prize packs
>>
not improved nor impaired
>live in developing 3rd world country
>art in general doesnt get much attention from the population
>so most of the population doesnt really care about finding music and they keep listening to their shittiest of reggaeton, edm and rap
>in school i made friends with people who can discuss music
>now in uni
>uni people normie af
>musical obvlivious normies find my music weird af and they wont listen carefully
but when i find someone thats really into music and open to listen new stuff its nice (i havent)
like really 75% of the population doesnt like to listen to albums
>>
>>68376443
Improved. I have the few close friends I have because of it. Until I got heavily into music, I couldn't bond with people over anything. Was never into video games, tv, anime, etcetera. I was just barely hanging on with a knowledge of movies.
>>
>>68376443
it does both because it lets you see what someone is like through whether they actually use their ears to listen or they just like whatever their peer group deems to be acceptable. plebs who can't admit they are plebs also get really jealous when you like someone they've never heard of, then they call you hipster.

it's not that i can't hang out around people aren't into music (if they can admit it). it's that i can't hang out with people who don't use the senses they were given to discern what they enjoy and what they don't. i'd rather hang out with a dude who listens to green day than some cunt who's into the laundry list of 'artists to be into right now' and TALKS about it.
talking about music in this logical rational way is literal cancer.

tl;dr it lets you distinguish between the sheep, the sheep who think they aren't sheep and normal human beings.
>>
>>68376856
>I've pretended to like Foo Fighters for the sake of conversation
I feel so dirty when I do stuff like that. Most of the time I don't answer or say "eh I never listened to X", and even then I think to myself "ugh why I need to do that"
>>
hasn't had much effect on my social life i think, outside of me getting my friends into a lot of music ,our friendship can rely a lot on music but idk we're all musicians so it's not weird

super awful when i hang out with old friends and they recently discovered rhcp lmao, i really can't see the appeal and would rather they turned it off. i don't say anything though but gets awkward when they ask me what my fav foo fighters song is
>>
>>68376856
>disliking foo fighters
>liking rush
lol
>>
My socially social life just is what it is. It's nice having music in common with people and it blows when nobody authentically cares about music.

I go to a uni (party school reputation) where everyone uses meme rap and shitty pop as like a confidence booster. This is all good and fine, only everyone thinks that parting is the end all be all in life.

No one seems to think music is:

A. About reflection some kind of immaterialistic beauty.

B. A form of human expression

That's the main problem. I want to hang out with people who know there's more to life than trying to get laid.

That may be just me though
>>
I remember saying that Nevermind was overrated in a room full of normies and faced a moment of stunned silence. Other than I just avoid talking about music and don't be a dick and nobody cares.
>>
File: j.jpg (92KB, 497x631px) Image search: [Google]
j.jpg
92KB, 497x631px
>>68376467
>i think they only invite me around out of habit now
same here anon
>>
I don't talk to people about music that much, because no one I'm close to listens to anything interesting, but I don't even mind that as I would rather have friends that have awful taste but are genuinely good people

almost all people who have good taste that I've met are asocial/ insufferable/pretentious as fuck, I try to not associate with them too much haha
>>
>>68380967
>that pic
>mfw 'oval - diskont94'
>>
Kinda reached a happy medium of normie music and the weird shit I like. It's possible to like both yall
>>
>>68376443
i don't have any friends, but i don't care, i never liked the music that they liked, even since kid, at the end of the day that "patrician" thing won't matter because nobody will know me anyway, i just want to play the music i love and see the movies i like, nothing else.
>>
>>68376443
Yes, it has impaired it in the past. Junior year all my friends would listen to and talk about was rap and hip hop, and not that I'm somehow "above" that, it's just not for me. But because I couldn't really talk about rap with them, I basically got shunned out of most conversations
>>
>>68376443
improved
about 5-6 of my very good friends are pretty patrician and none of them is contrarian in any way
we listen to a lot of similar stuff, but everyone really has his own taste
feels bretty gud man
>>
>>68376467
>i think
God damn.This get's me so well. It's like I wrote this.
>>
I almost exclusively listen to Death Metal (Autopsy, immolation) and Baroque music (you know the names) and it has improved my social life immensely. There are so many fascinating people out there I share interests with, it's only a matter of seeking them and having a great time. Concerts of all kinds are a great opportunity to do just that.
>>
File: 1473119578699.jpg (179KB, 1112x698px) Image search: [Google]
1473119578699.jpg
179KB, 1112x698px
>>68376467
>tfw dont even get invited out of habit

whats the easiest way to kill myself?
>>
>>68382813
Vape yourself to death.
>>
>>68380155
this is literally fucking me
>>
>>68376443

impaired it at first

then I stopped hanging out with normies entirely and found autistic patrician friends including a few metalheads

it's pretty great desu senpai
>>
>>68376443
> be me way back in middleschool days
> hate nigger music
> everyone listens to fucking nigger shit
> no one hangs out with me because i like rock and degenerate shit from hippy era
> force myself to listen to nigger shit so would have friends try to fit in with normies
>as soon as out of high school get rid of all that candyass roodypoo shit
>>
Improved, definitely.

Girls at the uni often see that I'm listening to albums they've never seen before, so they ask about it. It's a great icebreaker desu.
>>
>>68382897
lol people don't like you because you're a hateful cunt, not because of the music you enjoy.
>>
>>68376443
>Has your musical taste ever impaired your social life?
I guess in the sense that I can't really talk about something that's very important to me with some of my close friends, although I have enough that are into music that it doesn't matter. It's also made me realize just how oblivious/closed off uber normies are. I have a friend who's favourite band is Nickelback. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's just jarring when you realize even the stuff /mu/ would dismiss as entry-level or mainstream exists in a completely different universe to a lot of people.

>Or improved it?
It's a very good/easy way to meet people. It's extremely social
>>
>>68380155
>>68382862
samefag
>>
>>68382938
Whaddaya walk around with a phonograph blaring? How do they "see" what you're listening too?
>>
>>68376443
How would it impair? Just don't whine about the music being played at social events and listen to what you like by yourself don't force others to listen to it. My city has a shoegaze scene, some of my friends and I are apart of it, but i dont force it on others. My gf didn't know I liked black metal until we had been dating for a year.
>>
>>68383071
I fullscreen the album whenever I'm not working on the computer. So the cover art (Which is what they're actually interested in) becomes obnoxiously large.
>>
i actively avoid talking about music irl
>>
>>68383014
fuck off back to tumblr normie scum
>>
>>68383014
also never really leave /pol/, /k/, and /b/ are all /mu/tants faggots like this?
>>
>>68383114
what city senpai?
>>
>>68383700
yeah you should probably go back
>>
>>68383700
>>>/pol/
>>
>>68382615
>oval - diskont94
thanks for the recc :^)
>>
>>68376443
Neither. I might be autistic, but i know enough to keep my weird taste to myself.
>>
>>68383771
>>68383801
note to self gas all of /mu/

also samefag
>>
>>68383672
no u
>>
>>68376443
A little bit of column A, and a little bit of column B.

Back when I was a teen/young a adult, I only cared about punk and metal. On one hand I avoided anyone who wasn't punk or a metalhead, which actually made me cuck myself out of a few dates with some girls but on the other at the time the punk & metal scene was full of girls.

Full of mostly gross girls with loads of daddy issues, but still full of girls. So I had a social life in the metal/punk/alternative circles for a while. But then you wake up one day and you're over 25 and the green mohawk & black eyeliner looks fucking ridiculous on you. Also I had grown out of those two genres.

These days I listen to almost anything, but not everything. I still have a burning disgust for top 40 music and everyone who enjoys it. Not that it's all bad, it's just that it's overplayed and I can't enjoy it after hearing it a few dozen times on the radio. I got into EDM and enjoy or at least know about some mainstream top 40 music, so I have more of a varied and semi-normal social life now. I haven't dated a girl in 6 years, but that's not all that related to the music though.
>>
>>68383974
np bb
>>
>>68376925
>>68377010
>>68377049
>>68377577
how did drill music do that?
>>
>>68384097

>I'm on shit nigger 4chan
>this is the stupid fucking nigger way we kike talk
>right niggers?
>>
>>68386583
que
>>
>>68376465
*determines
0/10

You could've had a perfect score
>>
>>68376856
I unironically love Foo Fighters and have for a long time.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 202x157px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 202x157px
>>68379541
>At work
>Friend goes on break and then comes back with a Walmart bag
>We talk for a little bit and music comes up
>He tells me he just got the new Jason Andean CD and is completely serious
>He's kind of a redneck so that's expected I guess.
>At least he buys CD's (I still do too)
>Curious, I ask him how much it was
>$30
>mfw

I don't like to talk about music with really anyone irl now that I think about it. Even with my friends who like some of the more pleb things I like, idk I just don't like it. I need a qt3.14 with similar taste. And what really hurts is that I had someone like that once upon a time..
>>
File: 1475981208475.jpg (44KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
1475981208475.jpg
44KB, 500x393px
>talk with qt about how I like /mu/waifu pop artists
>"are you gay anon?"
>>
>>68382708
I respect people like you and I envy the fact that you don't care what people think of you.
I don't care what people think of me, but at the same time, I just want people to like me and care about me and what I have to say. I want that experience.
It must be really exhilarating to know you have a lot of friends who care about you.
I think part of my social problem is that I've never had social media, I've always hated it, and throughout school that was a big thing, everyone had Facebook or Instagram or something while I never did, and I guess I really lucked out because I could've possibly made some friends or even got a gf along the way. I only have like 4 friends and they don't do anything.
I guess I just want to feel important or loved or something. Idk, I'm not the only one who's gone through this, I'm sure.
Sorry about this reply, I don't even know what I was trying to say really
>>
impaired.
girl- "so what music do you like anon?"
me:- "SLAYERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

doesn't end well
>>
File: reeeeeee.jpg (47KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeee.jpg
47KB, 900x900px
my friend still loves me but now every time we talk about music they assume I am an hipster faggot who listens to weird and unbearable """"music"""""
>>
>>68382615
94 Diskont is great you pleb bitch
>>
both

sometimes, being the wiener that i am, i have brought up music at inappropriate times or just tried to talk about with someone who isn't really into it, and that always ends up weird.

but at other times i've met and become close with many interesting people through music and shows, so in the long run i'd say that it has helped my social life more than it has impaired it.
>>
I feel really blessed to have friends in different circles so I can get a bit of conversation regarding most of the things I listen too. I got a couple different metal friends, one of them I can talk about noise with, some mu-core guys, some electronic stuff (mostly footwork) amd everyone seems to follow hip-hop to some extent.

Haven't lucked out on finding myself a qt who'll let ne show her anything less mainstream than Lana Del Ray though. Where are the patrician and potentially patrician qt's hiding?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXNL8EpQLNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cZC67wXUTs
>>
>>68376443
>listen to a lot of /mu/ and scaruffi shit
>try not to talk about it but when people ask what I listen to I'm usually honest
>have had a few people irl tell me i have good taste, but when they try to talk to me about it I sperg out and say something like "Oh, I have to go."
>>
>>68380155
Same. I live in Egypt. I've met one dude who really enjoys classical music, but even his classical taste is "mainstream" (a la Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, etc.)

That's all besides the fact that I mainly listen to avant-garde and barely know shit about classical.
>>
It's helped a lot actually, it's a good conversation starter if you both like someone less normcoret. Met an ex because she was wearing a death classic shirt in a class and we started chatting. Literally half of what dictates who I hang out with regularly is music (concerts etc), and the other half is basically just games
>>
>>68376443
It somehow improved my social life. People go to me for music recommendations and I've gotten to know new people. I ended up with a superiority complex that pisses me off more than it does other people. Not to say it doesn't piss other people off.
>>
File: 1473909123964.jpg (88KB, 623x472px) Image search: [Google]
1473909123964.jpg
88KB, 623x472px
turned down pussy for metal
>metal for this feel
>>
File: lXTLaaE.jpg (52KB, 790x449px) Image search: [Google]
lXTLaaE.jpg
52KB, 790x449px
>tfw your social group is made of musicians
>tfw all your friends appreciate jazz, most love it
>tfw can have a blast sharing and discussing albums, no matter how obscure
>>
It had no real effect t b h. My best friend is a total pleb.
>>
File: original.jpg (25KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
25KB, 600x375px
>>68388140
if you actually responded like that it is almost entirely your fault its impaired and has nothing to do with taste lol
>>
>>68391018
this picture always makes me laugh
>>
>>68380396
X is really good man, one of my favorite bands
>>
I became friends with someone I used to work with by wearing a Melvins tshirt.
>>
>>68376443
I've been to parties before when all anyone wants to listen to is awful EDM music. They're all dancing around and seem to be having a great time. I mean I try to get into it, but the music is just so dreadful that I can't ignore how irritating it is.
>>
>>68383014
this, i really wonder if this guy actually blames music taste for his lack of friends
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.