/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you have against a vinyl LP collection? Do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (279KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
279KB, 1920x1080px
What do you have against a vinyl LP collection? Do you think collecting mp3s is anywhere near this cool and satisfying?
>>
>>68349346
Why not both?
>>
>>68349468

this

vinyl/FLAC idort race
>>
>>68349346
Takes space
Expensive
Fragile
Can be very difficult to track certain releases
Offers no real sound advantages
PVC's volatile additives might be toxic for humans and are clearly bad for the enviorment.
>>
>>68349346
scott?
>>
>>68349649
>Takes space
Sure, it is a problem if you live in a closet.
>Expensive
Go to thrift stores
>Fragile
Don't be a clumsy fuck
>Can be very difficult to track certain releases
Like, very very few releases. Most of them are getting reissues still
>Offers no real sound advantages
Sure, but that's not the point.
>PVC's volatile additives might be toxic for humans and are clearly bad for the enviorment.
And hardware manufacturing and disposal of computers that you use for digital music are not?
>>
>>68349759
>Sure, it is a problem if you live in a closet.
Nigga I got 6 TB of preambient
>Go to thrift stores
1 dolar at a time rapidly builds up to a lot of money
>Don't be a clumsy fuck
Eventually there will be a clumsy fuck in my house and if they put weight over a record it will be fucked. PCs are a bit sturdier.
>Like, very very few releases. Most of them are getting reissues still
Ok, case on point.
>Sure, but that's not the point.
We are not in it for the music, huh?
>And hardware manufacturing and disposal of computers that you use for digital music are not?
Diference being that my computer is not made exclusively for listening to music. I would still have it even if I didn't care about media.
>>
>record deteriorates as you use it
>sounds worse as the arm tracks inward
>a bit of dust causes pops and crackle
>the device to play it literally degrades the record
>inner sleeve scratches the record and buries crud into the grooves
>>
inb4 vinylfags defend analog "warmth"
>>
>>68350705
vinyl sounds more natural than digital.
I still dont know why people think it offers no sound benefits. it sounds better every time.
>>
>>68351799
>muh warmth
distortion
you can easily mimic analog on digital.

digital is as pure as you are going to get.
>>
>>68350608
- nice meme
- not really
- just hide them
-
- it's more complicated than that
- fair point
>>
>>68351799
How about reel to reel?
Much superior to shit vinyl.

The master cut is on tape, no one would be dumb enough to produce an music on shitty vinyl
>>
>>68349759
Thrift stores offer records your grandparents thought were shit, get outta town
>>
>>68353113
most of the time they used the tape for the vinyl, and shitty digital for flac. most the records I listen sound far better than the CDs
>>
>>68353151

They could also get good records from people that recently died, or they were from people that had switched to CDs and ditched vinyl back then.
>>
>>68353113

There are very little good music on commercial reel-to-reels
>>
>>68353202
Rarely have I found thrift store vinyl that wasn't Christmas records or tabernacle music. On a side note I did get the last Godspoed (which was okay I guess) for 7 bucks at a Hastings going out of business sale
>>
>cd collection > vinyl collection
>>
what a waste of time to look around on shelves for something to listen to. i scroll down and hey ill listen to this. ez click of button.

gg retards now go vote trump and suck my ball
>>
>>68349346
the only concern i have for collecting lps is that they take up a lot of space and that they are often expensive however it is a better experience listening to physical copies of music rather than mp3s. you have a greater appreciation if you have physical copies.
>>
File: hipster-vinyl-500x665.png (611KB, 500x665px) Image search: [Google]
hipster-vinyl-500x665.png
611KB, 500x665px
the vinyl meme needs to die already. here's a link comparing vinyl to the lowly CD, never mind all the loseless digital formats we have access to today

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)

>Under no legitimate circumstances will the dynamic range of vinyl ever exceed the dynamic range of CD, under any frequency, given the wide performance gap and the physical limitations of vinyl playback.

vinyl was replaced by CDs because it was an inferior physical format with lower fidelity than digital music on a CD. there are no advantages to music reproduction with a vinyl record, none whatsoever, this is an indisputable scientific fact

educate yourselves and stop falling for the unnecessary and expensive vinyl meme, please. when you buy a vinyl record all you're buying is an obsolete round black plastic disk with a cardboard sleeve, you are not buying high fidelity sound reproduction in any circumstance

FYI
>>
>>68353922
Try moving to a new apartment you'll immediately regret buying so much vinyl. It's over saturated now you can't even flip records cause they get repressed so often now.
>>
>>68354182

wtf I hate vinyls now
>>
>>68349649
>Takes space
thats the point of a collection
>Expensive
thats the point of a collection
>Fragile
if your a fucking idiot
>Can be very difficult to track certain releases
if your a fucking idiot
>Offers no real sound advantages
ok you nerd
>PVC's volatile additives might be toxic for humans and are clearly bad for the enviorment.
who cares
>>
regardless i think collecting physical form of music is fun
>>
>>68349759
>if you live in a closet
most people aren't like Americans in that they own huge houses in the suburbs. I live in a small apartment in Tokyo, how would I ever store vinyls without fucking up what little space I have?
>thrift stores
I want decent records
>reissues
>thrift stores
>that's not the point
then what is?
>>
>>68354182
I agree with most of what you're saying. However, go pick up any classic rock (earlier you go worse it gets) CD and tell me that shit ain't whack. Generally tinny as fuck, but other distortions can happen as well. While there may not be an actual audio benefit to getting modern LPs, vintage music really does sound better if you can get a nice copy of an original pressing or reissue.
>>
I collect Vinyl, CDs and Digital. I would like to start collecting cassettes too. Obviously though, my digital library is (and always wil be) bigger than all 3 combined.
>>
>>68349346
The people I've encountered that collect vinyl are pretentious, and love the smell of their own farts. They're the type of people that will drop a band in a heartbeat if it gains any sort of mainstream popularity. They also look down their nose at anyone who doesn't share the same taste in music. Plus it's impractical.
>>
I don't care what form it comes in I care about listening to it
>>
File: a80d0b4e1b758d95801f927c3ab856e1.jpg (754KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
a80d0b4e1b758d95801f927c3ab856e1.jpg
754KB, 1280x960px
>>68354774
>puts on a classic rock vinyl record
>*crackle*hissss*pop*hisssss*pop*
>that sound though
lol sure, if your tastes and listening habits are as antiquated and outdated as vinyl itself it's probably a perfect format for you. just you can drive a bitchin' antique pontiac firebird even though it's impractical in every way and the only reasons for doing so would have nothing to do with getting from point a to point b
>>
>>68355020
Well, that's where finding a good copy matters.
>>
>>68355049
>a good copy
>vinyl
>fidelity degrades every time you play it
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)
>Repeated playback (no matter what the timeframe) carries the risk of permanent damage. Obviously, records are observed to wear out with repeated play.
lol yea no thanks
>>
>>68355105

It takes 1000 playbacks to even begin noticeable sound degradation. That's more than you will ever play in your entire life.
>>
>>68355200
>It takes 1000 playbacks to even begin noticeable sound degradation
[citation needed]
lol, but no. you can permanently damage a vinyl record with any play. actual facts are a bitch though right?
>>
>>68355273
When groove wear does occur, it occurs much faster at high frequencies than at low frequencies. For modern styli this is not as much of a concern, and tests have been conducted which deonstrate that a record can be played up to 1000 times before there is any measurable increase in distortion as a result of record wear.

thats from ur link nerd. I've been reading it, cool stuff thanks for sharing. But I guess you didn't actually read all of it.
>>
>>68355404

>lmao vinyl is shit, here's source
>your source also says this
>lmao this is wrong, I need citation pls
>>
>>68355352
lol, this is your reply?

here, just to rub it in
>Any play of a record, even one, has the risk of permanently damaging the record. Repeated playback with an excessively worn or misaligned cartridge will cause permanent damage.
>Certain parameters of vinyl recording and playback - notably, the vertical tracking angle (VTA) and the stylus rake angle (SRA) - were never formally standardized, and vary considerably between records. Distortion from these effects is generally considered extremely audible and very difficult (if not impossible) to correct.
>Turntables and cartridges require periodic maintenance and alignment by a professional, usually a repairman or a dealer. Otherwise you must learn how to tune a system by hand, which may require a great deal of time to perfect. Maintenance may be necessary anytime a turntable is moved or reconfigured.
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Disadvantages_(Vinyl)

in other words you'd have to have a perfect system to keep a vinyl record from being damaged upon playback and a perfect system is literally impossible because there was never a system standardized for playback in the first place. one play on an imperfect system = immediate damage

once again, actual facts are a bitch though right?
>>
>>68355468
i need an actual source tho not that wiki shit
>>
>>68355352
>For modern styli this is not as much of a concern
Good thing all those vintage records were played on modern styli before you bought them, right?
>>
>>68355468
>>68355200

It has risks of damaging it depending on what system you're using.

It's pretty difficult to be like "Vinyl records typically degrade after X plays" since it depends on your system and stylus.

People give anecdotal evidence of their recordings sounding fine after owning them for 30 years.
>>
>>68355444
lol I deleted my post. you should post a screenshot now
>>
>>68355549
I'm just funnin' these brain-dead mongs, dude. They can't help themselves, my posts threaten the fragile social hierarchy they're trying to establish by buying something expensive and unnecessary like vinyl. They're afraid if their vinyl collections suddenly aren't "cool" then they might not have access to the exclusive club they so desperately want to be part of.

Hipsterati 101, buying your "cool points" as a last resort.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.