[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drones vs. Contrarians Which one are you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

File: nerds.jpg (2MB, 2978x1341px) Image search: [Google]
nerds.jpg
2MB, 2978x1341px
Drones vs. Contrarians

Which one are you?
>>
>>68335436
if something has to turn into pivotal discussion, it might as well be this. How do we reconcile these two trains of thought
>>
How about: Human Being

Enough with the labels
>>
i'm a plebeian
>>
Serious question: what is elseq droning exactly? Just /mu/ popular opinion? Also:

>Omar-S
>Contrarian
He's literally one of the most acclaimed and beloved house producers of the past decade - do you live under rock?
>>
well I know some of the records on the left side and even like some of them while I have no idea what the right side is soooo...
>>
i only listen to kpop

if u need me i'll be @ kpg
>>
File: topsters2 (18).jpg (290KB, 2135x1372px) Image search: [Google]
topsters2 (18).jpg
290KB, 2135x1372px
>>
>>68335529
This is /mu/, you either listen to p4k and fantano or it's contrarian.
>>
>>68335606
wow you managed to compile some of the dullest dance and electronic music released this year. congrats.
>>
>>68335529
>He's literally one of the most acclaimed and beloved house producers of the past decade - do you live under rock?
Might have missed the point of the OP, I think
>>
>>68335647
lol i'm sorry but that's not true at all, and even if it was then, again, why is elseq on the left chart?
>>
>>68335436
I'm definitely not the one on the left but I haven't listened to any of the albums on the right
>>
>>68335677
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21950-elseq-1-5/
>>
>>68335677
Autechre and Aphex Twin have always been popular on /mu/ because its ''''patrician'''' EDM.
>>
>>68335676
yeah, i don't get the point. the dichotomy op is presenting seems entirely nebulous to me. maybe the omar-s or cantu-ledesma or ian william craig etc. albums aren't as ubiquitous as the albums on the left, but they are still well regarded on this board and elsewhere. even on /mu/ no one's gonna call you a contrarian for liking either of those. especially with the growing amount of "weird frontier"/tmt fanatics on this board.

>>68335714
>7.0, 6.6, 6.9, 7.1, 6.8
yeah, considering their grading curve those aren't good scores from them lol. many of the albums on the right actually got higher scores from pitchfork - that's my point.
>>
>>68335652
I am 100% sure that you haven't heard even half of it
>>
>>68335761
I've heard probably about 75%

Kudos for Will Long and Bookworms but the rest is total shit.
>>
>>68335754
Score really doesn't matter, the majority still get all their new music from either/or. Plus >>68335739
>>
>>68335754
Okay, maybe if OP had phrased it like "Drones" vs "Contrarians". The terms used to describe either side are bullshit, typically insults levied by the "opposing" side.

I have seen Omar-S and Ian William Craig labeled as contrarian before. Some people really do live in a world where only Pitchtanocore exists.

To the people who use the left chart anyone outside of that little paradigm apparently only wants indie cred. To the people who use the right chart it's inconceivable to them that people might actually enjoy more widely known releases.

Absolutely nothing on that right chart is outsider, dude. In fact, all of them are AOTY thread staples.
>>
>>68335780
>Will Long
lmao, Long Trax is, objectively, sonically more bland and repetitive than anything else on the chart. What are you talking about?
>>
File: file.png (131KB, 220x302px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
131KB, 220x302px
I drone contrarians
>>
>>68335739
i don't think that's the reason at all but okay

>>68335786
>the majority still get all their new music from either/or.
but again, pitchfork reviewed quite a few releases from the chart on the right (in addition to giving them higher scores), so that goes against what you're saying. and yeah, established artists that have been around for 25+ years tend to get more attention. i still don't see the "droning" factor.

this just seems like forced conflict.
>>
>>68335436
>implying being an edgy contrarian is a good thing
>>
>>68335797
That's fair, but I think if OP wants a -legitimate-discussion on this topic (and I do think there is one to be had) then they should just do away with the bait charts entirely imo.

>Absolutely nothing on that right chart is outsider, dude. In fact, all of them are AOTY thread staples.
Yeah, I agree.
>>
>>68335436
>Charles Bradley
>Opie & Bo Hog

I'm just happy to see albums I liked posted on /mu/ for a change.
>>
>>68335839
if that's what makes you bring albums to the board that wouldn't otherwise be discussed, it is.
>>
>>68335808
It's dance music. Being repetitive is part of the appeal. Shitty progressive stuff is 100% more bland to me.
>>
File: 3 4ths o'16 favs.png (585KB, 2505x1064px) Image search: [Google]
3 4ths o'16 favs.png
585KB, 2505x1064px
aoty chart thread? okay.
>>
>>68335897
>Basically, it's not structured the way I want it, so it's bad.
Ah, now I understand anon.
>>
>>68335877
I still believe OP has presented their argument in an ill-conceived way, but I do think that is part of the issue they are trying to talk about. A lot of the time (mostly in AOTY threads) these so-called "contrarians" aren't willing to actually discuss the albums they like - they just want the honors of adorning their charts with albums that hardly anyone else has. The worst of the lot probably couldn't even articulate what they enjoy about said albums. It's just a strange and anonymous form of social capital/cred.

Not saying they're better or worse than the "drones" (who have their own issues) but I don't think this conflict would be taking place if these "contrarians" legitimately wanted to share their taste with others instead of promoting inane obscurantism.
>>
>>68335956
Glad you figured it out, hun :)
>>
>>68335436
I want to know all the albums on the right, could you help me out, OP? Honestly interested.
>>
>>68335962
You say it like the ''drones'' are articulate and always give detailed reasoning behind those choices (other than copypasta what fantano/p4k said/scored it).
>>
>>68335786
???? pitchfork has reviewed the majority of those albums. on both sides.
>>
>>68335962
show me instances that make you think so. i don't really see discussion in chart threads either way, that's not what they're there for. and starting a thread about an obscure release specifically won't get you anywhere
>>
Obscurity and contrarian is relative and depends who you ask.

An outside house release on your chart may be obscure/relative to /mu/ in general, but known by all of /bleep/ (for example).
>>
>>68336033
this
>>
>>68335962
I'm not saying that the people you describe don't exist I just think it's reactionary to claim that everybody who has these "contrarian" charts is doing it out of pretence. Some people just don't like the kind of music Pitchfork, Fantano and the /mu/ cool kids club likes

That's alright, isn't it?
>>
>>68335984
That's definitely true, and what I meant when I said that they also have issues. Should have been more clear.

I think in general ppl on /mu/ utilize the image board aspect of 4chan and not the comment box. A lotta terse remarks and posturing and memes but very little music discussion.

>>68335997
I dunno, it's just my observations from viewing many of the AOTY threads. Like, most of the "contrarian" charts don't have the album titles an when you ask for them the majority decline. Or you ask what they like about the albums (of don't like about popular albums) and they get defensive and say you have shit taste etc.

I disagree on the discussion front though. AOTY should definitely be about that and I have had plenty of good conversations about new releases. Less of them in 2016, though.

>>68336033
True, and honestly this is why Omar-S, or some of the other artists, being considered "contrarian" is inexplicable to me. I see them brought up all the times in the threads I frequent.
>>
>>68335980
Western Skies Motel - Settlers
Even Oxen - Arrayed Above the Seraphim Lights
******Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - In Summer****** (please do yourself a favor and listen to this)
Glenn Jones - Fleeting
Ian William Craig - Centres
DJ Earl - Open Your Eyes
Bo Hog & Da Rooters / Ophie & Da Websites - Bahamian Rake-n-Scrape
Omni - Deluxe
Mall Grab - Sun Ra
William Ryan Fritch - Clean War
Cloud Becomes Your Hand - Rest In Fleas
Charles Bradley - Changes
Ghost Orchard - Bliss
David Thomas Broughton - Crippling Lack
Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp
Sainkho Namtchylak - Like A Bird Or Spirit, Not
>>
>>68336047
Oh no, I'm with you 100%

In fact, my tastes veer towards the right side of the chart. I'm speaking only in very broad generalizations.
>>
>>68336048
I remember years ago, circa 2008/9 there was a lot more discussion, people wrote in paragraphs instead of sentences/memes and in Euro daytime when it was quieter you could have really decent conversations but the huge influx of traffic, dank memes and general shitposting, its just not worth the effort here anymore.
>>
>>68336056
The problem is that a lot of people (especially people who veer more towards the left) do tend to make that assumption.

>>68336049
>Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp
Um... where?
>>
>>68336069
idk, just listen to it
>>
>>68336079
Japanese Breakfast is not on either chart, buddy
>>
>>68336063
sorry turny
>>
>>68336091
Its you, all your fault, bastard.
>>
>>68336063
It's better now than it was in 2013.

Fuck me, just be thankful that shitshow is over. SUN BAT HER and Vampire Weekend every second thread. More failed memes a week than we've had this entire year. Fedora was the insult du jour. Yeesh
>>
>>68336096
ive failed you
*picks up noose*
>>
>>68336089
Well it should be!
>>
>>68336110
>It's better now than it was in 2013.
It's really not.
>>
>>68336110
I don't see it but not here much now.

>>68336112
Its okay, this time...
>>
>>68335436
Newbie here.
Can someine tell me albums' names?
>>
>>68336203
google the covers
what are you a pussy?
>>
>>68336063
Yeah. At the same time there are also people who talk just to hear themselves talk and don't have any idea what they're going on about. lol, I remember I popped into /daily/ once - lord knows why - and some of the posters were clearly just getting into /bleep/ and were trying to critically access functional techno i.e. dj tools. I got a laugh at the image of those dudes just sitting at home with their Sennheisers, listening to tracks that are clearly meant to be mixed with other tracks in a live setting, and acting all superior about how in-depth their criticisms were compared to the rest of the board. Just lmao...

Tangent aside, perhaps that's still preferable to no discussion at all.
>>
>>68335714
What about Charles Bradley, Ian William Craig, DJ Earl, Glenn Jones, and Jefre Cantu-Ledesma?
>>
>>68336213
/daily/ is one of the few places I can go to even discuss music anymore but at least they're trying lol
>>
>>68335436
looking at both sides - all i recognize is aesop rock
>>
>>68336211
>Left
David Bowie - Blackstar, Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool, Frank Ocean - Blonde, Bon Iver - 22 A Million
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree, Carly Rae Jepsen - E MO TION: Side B, Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit, Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid, Kanye West - The Life of Pablo, Parquet Courts - Human Performance
Car Set Headrest - Teens of Denial, Autechre - elseq, Swans - The Glowing Man, Avalanches - Wildflower

>Right
Western Skies Motel - Settlers, Even Oxen - Arrayed Above the Seraphim Lights, Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - In Summer, Glenn Jones - Fleeting
Ian William Craig - Centres, DJ Earl - Open Your Eyes, Ophie & Da Websites/Bo Hog & Da Rooters - Bahamian Rake 'N' Scrape, Omar-S - The Best!
Mall Grab - Sun Ra, William Ryan Fritch - Clean War, Cloud Becomes Your Hand - Rest in Fleas, Charles Bradley - Changes
Ghost Orchard - Bliss, David Thomas Broughton - Crippling Lack, Fire! Orchestra - Ritual, Sainkho Namtchylak - Like A Bird Or Spirit, Not A Face
>>
>>68336746
Thanks anon. Any off there you recommend?
>>
>>68336783
Bahamian Rake N Scrape is the best from either chart. Ritual's pretty good, too.
>>
>>68335510
>laughing_whores
>>
File: f12.jpg (14KB, 265x300px) Image search: [Google]
f12.jpg
14KB, 265x300px
>>68335510
>it's a "pleb doesn't like being identified as a pleb" episode
>>
>>68337230
dumb miloposter
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.