[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning Bass

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: drewsmile.jpg (135KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
drewsmile.jpg
135KB, 1600x1063px
I am trying to learn to play the bass. What's the best way to learn without lessons?
>>
>>68333308
Start off with tabs, once you have some small understanding of a simple song on bass (Lucy in the Sky for example) I would recommend picking up a copy of rocksmith for PC and using an online music source called CustomsForge. Allows you to learn some 20,000 songs based on a visual representation of tablature. Once you get proficient enough to play just about any song in a given genre, head over to any resource like musictheory.net and learn notation.
If you'd like some recommendations on good songs to learn your foundations on, I can help you there.
>>
use Youtube to figure out one Green Day song

then figure out everything else

you now know how to play bass
>>
File: IMG_3897.gif (261KB, 328x272px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3897.gif
261KB, 328x272px
>>68333380
Wow this is exactly how I'm learning rocksmith helps a lot didn't know there was a pic version going to have to get it (not op)
>>
>>68333380
eh i dont really agree with this. depends on your goals. this is fine if you just want to play songs by yourself.

what i would do is buy a good bass guitar method book and also a songbook from your favourite artist. stones, eagles, led zeppelin all have good basslines, but anything will do. you could get a compilation songbook if you prefer.

then work through them concurrently. devote half your practice to learning the bass method, honing your chops, learning notation + theory, and the other half learning a song.

the more you understand about music, the easier it will be to learn songs/play with other people in the future. tabs/rocksmith can be fun but they're really just crutches.
>>
>>68334293
The idea is that you do it in steps

You learn the tablature
You play the game to master timing/tuning/key changes/rhythmic devices
And finally you focus on theory and creation.

It's the path I took and I would consider myself to be a pretty good bassist.
>>
>>68335135
do you know your modes?
do you know how dominant chords function in harmony?
can you play a phrase in all 12 keys?
can you solo over Cherokee?
if you said no to either of these, you're not a "pretty good" bassist
>>
Personally, used tabs for about a year to learn a lot of my favorite songs, once I started learning Rush and Yes stuff I stopped using tabs and learned by ear.

Learning by ear is the point you want to get to, I used some internet resources as well to get a basic grasp of theory and stuff, then I joined Jazz band and I've advanced with that.
>>
>>68333308
play RHCP
>>
1,5,1,5,1,5,1,5,slide,1,5,1,5,1,5,1,5
>>
>>68335180
Yes to all of these but what do you mean "Solo over Cherokee"

I mean you're kind of a cunt to assume that you're the only one with knowledge of music theory. And it's totally arbitrary that you'd draw a line that there's a "prerequisite" of theory knowledge to be a good player. There are thousands of musicians better than you or I will ever be that don't know a single fucking thing about musical theory.
>>
>>68335268
I go to school with pretty incredible bassists who are taught by stacked teachers and have played many a gigs with the self taught crowd. it should go without saying those that are better than you and I w/o knowledge is far and very few in between.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're probably not a very good bass player mate.
>>
>>68335292
>>68335180
what a pretentious faggot
>>
>>68335292
So I don't play jazz bass and I'm not good, how much of a pretentious cockstain are you? 100% guarantee you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. "Good" is subjective, your song is subjective, your opinion is arbitrary in this case - you chose random facets of theory that aren't determinant of skill at all. If I could play Caravan, I'd be a good bassist right? Yeah, go fuck yourself.
>>
>>68335319
I'm pretentious because your lack of knowledge? Okay schlomo.
>>
>>68335326
jazz is the foundation for popular music. jazz is far more nuanced than any other popular genre outside of afrocuban and some samba/songo /bassa which all take a similar approach in improvisation.
I think you're being disingenuous. You can tell a novice player from a master player, one being bad and the other obviously good. If you're a musician (a good one at that) you can see, hear, and feel a good bass player. otherwise all bass players in the world would feel the same because everyone is "good". don't kid yourself mate and quite getting your panties in a bunch, playing pop punk bass lines accurately doesn't make you good. If and when you can take a solo and say something meaningful, I'll believe you're a good bass player, otherwise you simply aren't. By the way, knowledge of scales, functional harmony, and have to bob and weave inside and out of it very much impacts on the way you solo unless you're chet baker. and you're not.
>>
>>68335363
Totally arbitrary line in the sand you're drawing there, once again, you're a pretentious faggot.
>>
bass is gay anyway
>>
>>68333380
Don't do rocksmith until you have a basic understanding of how to pickup songs. If it takes you a while to learn a tune, wait it out.
>>
>>68335431
Agreed.
>>
>>68335405
You just calling me a faggot doesn't make you right retard. Learn to stick up for your beliefs, what the fuck are you? 16? Triggered because the college educated bassists I play with regularly are objectively better at the instrument than you? lmao
>>
>>68335468
Triggered because you're not the guiding metric of "good" and being good at anything is entirely fucking subjective. Also you don't even fucking know me or my music?
Just shut the fuck up already. I'm not the only one here calling you a cunt.
>>
>>68335468
College educated bassists? What a waste of fucking time.
>>
>>68335498
You're the one who got all defensive and butt hurt kid.
>hurrr good is subjective
>that guy who practiced 8 hours a day for years straight is subjectively as good as the guy who casually picked up the bass last year

yeah nah, if your music is any reflection of yourself (which it most likely is) it's dull and technically limited.

>>68335514
We literally only play music for money. As in that is our job. I don't think working 4 hours a night at most for a couple of bills a gig is "wasting time" on something we've all been doing since we were children
>>
>>68335135
true

>>68335180
>>68335292
is not the same person who posted
>>68334293
>>
>>68335626
proof
>>
>>68335657
no one cares, this isn't reddit faggot you don't get karma here.
>>
>>68333308

Get a metronome, tuner and a timer, you cat get all these as apps

learn theory, learn theory, learn the fucking theory

https://www.musictheory.net/lessons

http://tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html

learn the note names on your bass and where they are

http://www.studybass.com/lessons/fretboard-notes/studybass-note-name-memorization-method/

Torrent or buy Hal Leonard's "Modern bass method"

come up with a practice schedule, something like

exercises
arpeggios
scales
bass method book
learning songs

each for twenty minutes, every day, every single day

track your progress with a spreadsheet

also, this guy does good lessons
>>
>>68335679
>>68335679
just didnt want that guy who i initially responded to to think i was the one being a dick

whats your problem cheemo
>>
>>68335707
>just didnt want that guy who i initially responded to to think i was the one being a dick

this is
it's an anonymous image board faggot, I think we know our way around these boards.
>>
>>68335707

>what's your problem

This is what 4chan has turned into

You are a fucking faggot and you should kill yourself
>>
>>68335727
>>68335726
Hey check it out I have a name and I'm not anonymous anymore everyone knows who I am!
If you want to shitpost here's the board for you

>>>/B/

In the meantime, can we talk about learning the bass instead of the best way to swallow cock? Thanks. Half of this board are just contrarian elitist cucks, the other half are people just looking for musical conversation without the constant retarded bickering.
>>
>>68335793
this guy isnt me either

i respect the anon

but he has a good point
>>
>>68333308
>learn some basic scales and maybe chords
>practice your preferred right hand technique(s) at the same time
>find a good drummer and/or guitarist
>start jamming
>???
>profit
>>
>>68335820
>>68335699
>>68334293
>>68335237
^ basically a mixture of this shit

>get a proper musical education
>find some people to play with
>keep it simple
>keep it groovy
>party on
>>
>>68335793
dude you learn it like everyone else.
you buy a bass, you listen to a lot of music, if you're not a retard you learn theory and the way music works and the functions of harmony and you practice for hours and hours every day for years. through this you train your ears, your fingers, your muscle memory, and your vocabulary by listening.
literally learn jazz, as I've said before, it's the most nuanced genre and serves as the best possible musical base for any music you want to play and learn because literally no other music is as nuanced as jazz. you learn about touch, individuals and how they develop their individual sounds on the instrument. it's a life long journey and there are no shortcuts but only fucking the amount of effort you put into it.
I can't stand you faggots who look for the easy way out and then try to say you're as good as people who have been playing for quadruple the time you've been alive cuz muh good is subjective.
this is why you faggots aren't good. you literally don't understand it and want people to fucking spoon feed you.
it's not rocket science, it's fucking music. it requires PRACTICE.
>>
>>68335468
Hope youre b8ing m8 cause you sound like a pretentious twat
>>
>>68335882
uneducated bass player vs educated bass player
gee I wonder who is going to have a wider variety of playing experience underneath their belt.
I wonder which of the two was taught correctly by someone good enough to be paid a salary to teach bass
hmmm really gets the noggin joggin
>>
>>68335879
You're making lots of assumptions of character. Comes off pretentious, you're not wrong tho. Maybe about the whole jazz thing? You can learn music same as you would with jazz by playing a different subgenre.
>>
>>68335942
I see this crap all the time.
I'm surrounded by talented musicians pretty much everyday and that talent isn't really talent but many many MANY years of hard work and practice. People take for granted just how much goes into learning an instrument. Granted my vernacular is always harsh on here, my points are extremely valid because I've lived through it and am still living through it and know hundreds of other musicians that have been through it and it's borderline insulting to see /mu/fags that obviously don't know what the fuck they're talking about go on and on about muh subjective and "you don't know me and my music, I've only been playing bass for 5 years and practice maybe 3 hours a week and I'm just as good as you/anyone else because subjective"
Like no dude.
Go sit in at a jam session in NYC. If you make it to the end of the song without being laughed off of the stage, then maybe I'll believe you're a good player.

All of that being said, jazz is the basis of modern popular music. all of it comes from jazz in one way shape or form.
Like I said, it's far more nuanced than anything thats popular now. If you know the nuances well enough, everything else comes together far easier.

I'm a jazz musician but a solid 80% of the music I play for serious money isn't jazz music. I play blues, funk, soul, hip-hop, country, pop rock, top 40, latin, cumbia, etc etc. because as a musician I'm expected to know ALL of these styles and know them well enough to make them feel good and communicate with other musicians in that style. That being said all of those styles are pretty restrictive and jazz is not that at all and draws from a wide variety of styles of world music into one improvisatory moment in time. it's musical freedom with musician friends who will take that freedom and run with it. at this point I'm rambling because it's late and I'm tired
>>
>>68333308
take lessons
>>
>>68333308
By ear
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.