[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the best double bass player of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: paulchambers.jpg (8KB, 200x232px) Image search: [Google]
paulchambers.jpg
8KB, 200x232px
Who is the best double bass player of all time?
>>
>>68324700
You already posted the answer.

Honorable mentions to Ron Carter, Scott LaFaro, Charlie Haden, Ray Brown, and Dave Holland.
>>
>>68324700
Dave Holland or Charlie Haden

>>68325033
Why do you think Chambers is better than Ron Carter?
>>
Is Duvivier any good
I don't remember if I listened to anything with him
>>
>>68324700
>>68325033
>>68325098
>>68325136
I've never heard about any of these person in my life
>>
>>68325098
Chambers basically translated the bebop language for double bass, much like Bud Powell did with piano. All subsequent jazz came out of that.
>>
What's the best album featuring Paul Chambers?
What's the best album featuring Charlie Haden?
What's the best album featuring Ray Brown?

I'd like to add Sam Jones is a hell of a bass player (with several underrated records under his name as leader) and Richard Davis is versatile and GOAT as well.
>>
>>68324700
Barry Guy.
>>
>>68325205
Do you mean the album where the Chambers/Haden/Brown sounds at his best, or the overall best album that they play on?

Sam Jones is very good and underrated. Richard Davis was really incredible at playing with groups who had a flexible sense of time but he was not a great soloist by any means.
>>
>>68325205
the blues and the abstract truth
don cherry
ben webster meets oscar peterson

I mean
I haven't listened to much desu but I like these
>>
What do you guys think of Minugs?
>>
>>68325367
good bassist
great composer
obnoxious asshole
>>
>>68325367
I love when he screams in the middle of the songs, it's so energetic
His voice is lovely
>>
File: 417MFT4ESGL.jpg (22KB, 299x300px)
417MFT4ESGL.jpg
22KB, 299x300px
>>68325280
I was saying overall, records or sessions where their performances really stand out.
>>68325367
One of my favorite jazzman of all time. His compositions are always magnificent. Speaking of it, there's this one record where he plays the piano which has one of the greatest tracks ever conceived in my opinion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCK6Feqz7wY

Anyone got an idea where can I find similar stuff? If not properly jazz, piano sonatas, classical stuff, minimalism, whatever you got
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.