[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

did people even know about underground music in the 90s? Did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: 1475427973829.jpg (121KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1475427973829.jpg
121KB, 848x1200px
did people even know about underground music in the 90s? Did people even download music off of the internet back then? They probably wouldn't have access to the sort of sharing, storage, and download capacity they had today, if anything at all. Isn't it funny to be living right on the brink of when advanced civilization actually begins? It's like, around some of the times that we were born, civilization on earth had never seen these things. Just imagine how unlucky we are to not be born like 100 or 1000 years in the future. This really is a horrible time to be alive.
>>
>>68319931
I wanna suck that cartoon bulge.
>>
>>68320180
me too
>>
>>68319931
>did people even know about underground music in the 90s?
Yes. We went to shows and hung out in record stores.
>Did people even download music off of the internet back then?
I first got Napster when I went to college in 1998, and I think I started seeing private FTPs for shared music in 1999. About a year before that was when people started trading mp3s over the internet, I remember getting a Smashing Pumpkins bootleg in mp3s in either 1997 or early 1998
>Isn't it funny to be living right on the brink of when advanced civilization actually begins? It's like, around some of the times that we were born, civilization on earth had never seen these things. Just imagine how unlucky we are to not be born like 100 or 1000 years in the future. This really is a horrible time to be alive.
Or rather, think of how spoiled you kids are. You don't have to work for your music, you can burn though listening to everything in a short amount of time and thus appreciate it less
>>
>>68319931
No. We are living in the best times for music. Think of how easy it is to publish music on Bandcamp, and then gather a small following of people who think your stuff is rad and support you. All it takes is one person to listen to it, like it, and then share it with someone else who might also like it. The mere fact that it's so easy to post something on soundcloud and have the chance someone will listen to it is exciting. It also great for discovering someone else's music that may have well stayed in their basement on rotting tapes 20 years ago. The Internet is also responsible for giving experimental or otherwise obscure musicians more exposure and popularity, which in turn lets lots of people who would otherwise not discover it the chance to find an artist who really speaks to them.

The only drawback is more people are getting into underground music, which Isn't a bad thing at all in my opinion. It's forcing mainstream music to take more chances signing artists who wouldn't traditionally get a recording deal.

We're living in great times. The creation and sharing of art has never ever been easier
>>
>>68320550
Except the problem is that the usual gatekeepers who would not allow the poorer musicians to be public have disappeared. Now we've seen with bandcamp and soundcloud that people who probably shouldn't be releasing music now have a platform to, thus watering down the musical genepool so to speak. Things have in fact gotten worse because the people who can yell the loudest in an echo chamber (see: spamming music on 4chan) can create a following, above more refined artists who deserve the attention.
>>
>>68319931
>This really is a horrible time to be alive
Why? Shit's just starting to ramp up. Think of how things will be several decades from now, when already we can listen to almost every bit of music ever recorded for free.

>>68320645
But you actually have the means to listen to all those artists now, including the hidden gems. The only one at fault here is you for not finding a community that suits your tastes. Some people viral, sure, but if something is that shitty, I know within the first ten minutes and can just turn it off. /mu/ is right more often than it is wrong on underground picks. We are living in the best era for music for sure, you're just searching for things to be upset about.
>>
>>68320645
>watering down the musical genepool
this guy
graduate from high school before posting please
>>
>>68320785
>But you actually have the means to listen to all those artists now, including the hidden gems
But the problem is the time wasted to wade through the garbage to find the gems.
>The only one at fault here is you for not finding a community that suits your tastes
What do you mean?
>We are living in the best era for music for sure
It is statically less probable.
>>
>>68320645
Street musicians shilling their music always existed you memelord. And just like there's a lot of effort spent into making good music there's a lot of effort spent into finding good music too, you only hear good obscure stuff here because people spend a lot of time and dedication finding them

I personally don't recommend an underground album unless it's a 3.75/5 and above
>>
>>68319931
This is an 18+ board kid
>>
>>68320912
>Street musicians shilling their music always existed you memelord.
No I mean like taking a Supremes song and slowing it down 400%. People who are releasing music without ever playing a show in their life
>you only hear good obscure stuff here because people spend a lot of time and dedication finding them
lol This is literally an echo chamber. One person found some good things maybe, and then a million people ping pang and namedrop without knowing why they are good. This phenomenon essentially breeds poor critical listening skills.
>>
But this is arguably the best time to be alive when it comes to music.

So much is available, so much is being made. The money's being taken out of the industry, and since the dissemination of public discourse is so much broader and widespread these days popular artists usually live or die by their product rather than just their image since word of mouth counts for so much more these days.
>>
>>68321060
>So much is available, so much is being made
Too much to be consumed, no quality control
>The money's being taken out of the industry
Which will cheapen the overall quality of the sound as a whole
>>
>>68321187
>Which will cheapen the overall quality of the sound as a whole
maybe if you're the worst kind of person who likes to make music. I think history has shown that once artists get famous they stop trying as hard and they just start producing shit. Look at so many bands who are only popular because of their first album. That's because so many artists are trying really heard, gritting tooth and nail to get something noticed and create something worth while. That's where the ambition to create music comes from. Or you have people like lil ugly mane who shun fame and press, and just create great music because it's their passion. So yeah, your argument is fucking horrible.
>>
>>68320891
>What do you mean?
I mean that most people here are able to find some group with a similar taste to theirs, either through a general thread or the board as a whole. Your chances are way better now with the internet than with only having a few critics and people you know in person. If you can't shape your taste to at least one community, it's your own fault.
>It is statically less probable.
Compared to some time in the future? Maybe. Once we can automatically stimulate dopamine in our heads, that might be better. Right now it's pretty damn nice.
>>
>>68320987
>lol This is literally an echo chamber. One person found some good things maybe, and then a million people ping pang and namedrop without knowing why they are good. This phenomenon essentially breeds poor critical listening skills.

sharpen your listening skills and you wont have to worry about it, problem solved.
>>
>>68320275
Can we? Can we let that qt3.14 boi trap rape our faces? I want to swallow its cock after sucking him through his undies....Mmmmm.....
>>
>>68320339
>you can burn though listening to everything in a short amount of time and thus appreciate it less
If someone is going to do that just because they can probably means they didn't appreciate it much to begin with if they need to induce stockholm syndrome to listen to something deeply.
>>
>>68319931
>2n5
good taste OP
>>
>>68321534
>maybe if you're the worst kind of person who likes to make music
Oh have you ever been in a professional recording studio before?
>Look at so many bands who are only popular because of their first album.
Look at so many bands whose following albums are better than their first
>>68321640
>I mean that most people here
I don't get music here, so explain what you mean about me finding a community
>Compared to some time in the future?
All of recorded history of music, compared to the present. it is more likely that good music has already been made as compared to now.
>>68321820
historically the opposite of this is true
>>68321951
I'm glad you agree with me then.
>>
>>68319931
i dont know but id make your trap whore bend over in no time
>>
>>68320339
>you can burn though listening to everything in a short amount of time and thus appreciate it less
What the fuck is this shit? NO, MAKE IT HARDER TO ACQUIRE MUSIC! SQUEEZE THE MILLENNIALS OF ALL THE MONEY THEY HAVE!!! I HAD TO WORK FOR IT WHEN I WAS A KID, AND I'M ANGRY YOU DON'T HMPH! Could you get any more pathetic?
>>
>>68324369
That's not a trap that's just a really gay boy.
>>
>>68319931
I was a small child in the 90s and I traded cassettes with my brother and other kids and sought out small label compilations to find new bands. I was still doing that after I got the internet in 2006, but by then I was finding bands at shows and by speaking with people as well.

Internet just made people lazy and awkward, really.
>>
is that gaz
>>
>>68320923
Napster came out in 1998 and 18 year olds now were born then
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.