[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beach Boys Sunflower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: sunflower.jpg (557KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
sunflower.jpg
557KB, 1300x1300px
I thought this album was supposed to be good /mu/. Instead I got a few decent tracks with 2 maybe 3 standouts and a LOT of garbage and filler. Shit like Add Some Music to Your Day and At My Window are embarrassingly bad. Pretty much anything involving Bruce Johnston should have been erased.

Thoughts on this album? Am I missing something? Also is any of their other post 60s material good? I enjoyed everything in their discography up to this point.
>>
File: Beach-Boys-Holland.jpg (244KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
Beach-Boys-Holland.jpg
244KB, 650x650px
Check this one out senpai
>>
All I wanna do is proto dream pop
>>
>>68312150
>add some music to your day
>bad

Terrible taste.
>>
>>68312166
That's the highlight for sure. All I knew from this album going in was All I Wanna Do and Forever plus I had heard they were really good in the early 70s but most everything else did nothing for me. Dennis' other songs were alright I suppose.

>>68312221
I would love to hear a case made for that song. I've listened to it like 3 times now and it's fucking cringe worthy to me. I was kind of sad to see Brian wrote it.
>>
>>68312323
>le cringe

Brian is sincerely the purest guy. He just truly and genuinely loves music and thinks it can heal people. That song is a completely sincere message from him, if delivered a bit heavy handedly (he's not great with words).

The arrangement itself is fantastic, particularly the harmonies. Stop being a teenager and le cringing over the lyrics and listen to the music.
>>
>>68312362
I actually wasn't referring to the lyrics as cringe worthy. The music is awful. There's almost no discernable melody and the instrumentation sounds like something for a backdrop on a childrens show.

The lyrics are pretty dopey but I can accept that. I wouldn't have gotten this far into their discography otherwise.
>>
>>68312451
>The music is awful. There's almost no discernable melody and the instrumentation sounds like something for a backdrop on a childrens show.

Uh, what?

Saying a song has "no discernable melody" is pretty much always gonna be a stupid thing to say since melodies are so subjective, but at the same time, if there's singing, there's technically a melody and someone out there finds it discernable or catchy.

Maybe 3 listens isn't enough, it's a ripper of a song and the middle eight is absolutely blissful, delivers a completely new melody over three voices (one at a time) and has a great climactic transition back into the verses. There's also a post chorus with a a lovely Carl lead.

What about the instrumental makes it seem childish exactly? The jingle bells or some shit?
>>
>>68312451
>getting this mad

Shit dude he said he didn't like the song, you don't need to sperg out.
>>
>>68312516
Just can't get into the song senpai. No need to get upset about it. And you're right, 3 listens isn't always enough to "get" a song. But typically Beach Boys songs don't take very long to sink in, even the more complex ones.

But I gotta say that out of pretty much everything from Sufrin' Safari until Sunflower this is probably in their bottom 5 for me. Only a handful of mediocre songs from their really early albums come close.

Also when I say there's no discernable melody it's safe to say that I personally can't discern it. I'm not trying to speak for everyone, that's kind of a pointless thing to get upset about.
>>
>>68312592
>>68312630
>post isn't literally teletubby levels of coddling
>why are you so mad bruh

Relax. A curse word here and there doesn't mean anybody is mad.

>But typically Beach Boys songs don't take very long to sink in, even the more complex ones.

Well yeah cuz it's mostly catchy pop. But the problem is exactly that; they're melodically driven. If you don't dig the melody, you may not dig the song much, so the melody may need to "grow" on you. Maybe it'll never grow on you and you'll always hate it, I dunno. But the arrangement is spectacular, I promise.
>>
>>68312150
You'll probably like Surf's Up and Holland m8! They also have a few lesser songs but nothing bad.

>>68312680
Decent points buddy but I think I agree with OP about that song. I don't hate it but it's kinda weak for their standards IMO. Like they were stuck between trying a new sound and making something their old fans might like and it came out a little awkward.

But other than that I think this is a near perfect album. Slip On Through, This Whole World, It's About Time, All I Wanna Do, Forever and COOL COOL WATER!!! It's close to being perfect.
>>
>>68312165
their most underrated album after la light album.
>>
>>68312630
>But typically Beach Boys songs don't take very long to sink in, even the more complex ones.

really?
>>
>>68312781
MY BROTHER

L.A. is a great goddamn album. The disco shit is awful but everything else is passable to great.
>>
>>68312794
What's hard to believe about that? They're a Pop band after all.
>>
>>68312803
>beach boys
>just a pop band
>just

REEEEEEEE
>>
>>68312150
these are the only good beach boys songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZVzIfJlY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFsJk6PWu0
>>
File: brianandmike.jpg (59KB, 500x318px) Image search: [Google]
brianandmike.jpg
59KB, 500x318px
>>68313220
hey now
>WELL ITS A LOVE THING
>>
>>68313220
don't forget this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kAnNgqN9o
>>
>>68313220
Your parents fucked to this song.
>>
>>68312150
Deeeeiiirdreeeeee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRL5TWF_0eU
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.