[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into metal?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: 1472364081718.jpg (706KB, 900x1375px) Image search: [Google]
1472364081718.jpg
706KB, 900x1375px
How do I get into metal?
>>
>>68305593
Start with Tool.
If you don't like them, you're hopeless.
>>
>>68305593
return to seventh grade
>>
>>68305593
Start with hard rock (Budgie, Deep Purple) and early heavy metal (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest). If you can stomach that, move on to NWOBHM (Iron Maiden, Motorhead). Easiest "extreme" genre to get into is probably thrash. I'd start with Bathory and Celtic Frost, cause mainstream thrash is garbage.
>>
>>68305593
>>68306799
If you want to get into "real" extreme metal, I'd go death first (Atheist, Bolt Thrower, Death obv) then grind (Brutal Truth, Napalm Death, Terrorizer) and black (Burzum, Darkthrone Satyricon, Ulver). Drone is good, but pretty inaccessible.
>>
>>68306799
>Easiest "extreme" genre to get into is probably thrash

on what fucking planet is Thrash extreme metal?

fuck this board and fuck you
>>
>>68305593
>>68306799
>>68306887
Doom (Sabbath-worship like Candlemass, Electric Wizard, Sleep) and to a certain extent sludge (Acid Bath, Boris, Melvins) aren't too hard to get into. Easier than drone, at least.
>>
>>68305593
Start with Epicardiectomy or Gojira
>>
>>68306945
Jesus m8, calm down, I'm just trying to help. Thrash isn't "extreme" compared to, say, brutal death, but it might sound that way to normies. I wouldn't know; I've been a metalhead for years.
>>
>>68305593
Prog metal can be good (Cynic, Devin Townsend, Edge of Sanity, Symphony X) or really, really bad (glorified prog rock like Dream Theater and Voivod). Avant-garde metal is mostly lolsorandumb bullshit (Arcturus, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Mr. Bungle), but it does have its gems (Obscura by Gorguts, Imaginary Sonicscape by Sigh)
>>
>>68307054
Power metal like Blind Guardian Gamma Ray and Helloween is good to start with too but it's cheesy af. Alt and nu metal are mostly shit
>>
>>68305593

>hit puberty

>be maladjusted

>be white, ideally

>be too anxious and self-aware to dance to music

There you go you're all set.

For real start with numetal, it's the most accessible form of metal. if that doesn't work then nothing will

>>68306945
He clearly said "extreme" in quotation marks to say that he wasn't referring to genre of extreme metal, but instead to what outsiders and newcomers might consider to be extreme music
>>
>>68307097
>metal is for maladjusted white manchildren

true desu

Nu metal is shit, tho. It doesn't represent the rest of metal in the slightest and anyone who likes it unironically should an hero
>>
>>68307260
meant for
>>68307128
>>
>>68307260
>It doesn't represent the rest of metal in the slightest

Which is why it's the best way to get into metal. Wading around in the waist-high section of a pool isn't the same as deep-sea diving, but it's the first step.
>>
>>68307260
>anyone who likes it unironically should an hero
Korn, Coal Chamber, Static-X, Mudvayne and Deftones haven't made some at least decent material.
>>
>>68307634
have*, fuck.
>>
>>68307634
>>68307656
You could list most numetal bands from the numetal era that had decent albums, since numetal was just a generally meaningless umbrella term for late 90s metal revival
>>
>>68307634
Only decent band you listed was Deftones and their best album isn't even nu metal
>>
>>68307260
its not only white people
i've met plenty of spics, chinks, and niggers who are metal loving manchildren
>>
>>68308203
Most metalheads with decent taste are white, though
>>
>>68308347
>metalheads with decent taste

well now
>>
>>68308347
>metalheads
>taste
pick one
>>
>>68308347
you guys are on the same level as edm fags
only difference is you're edgy and antisocial
>>
>>68308440
>tfw I switched to EDM
>>
>>68305607
>implying Tool is representative of metal
>implying Tool is metal
>>
>>68305593
Don't expect every style of metal to appeal to you, just roll with different recommandations until you find your style. I hated metal until I discovered Folk and now I'm addicted.
>>
>>68308394
>>68308415
Good taste in metal, I mean. I listen to /mu/core occasionally but the last thing I care about is justifying myself to y'all indie fags lmao

>>68308505
I wouldn't call Tool metal but some of their stuff is decent. Definitely one of the best buttrock bands
>>
listen to altars of madness until you like it
>>
>>68305593
Start with Slipknot.
>>
>>68312376
No, nu metal is the worst place to start
>>
Gojira
>>
>>68312809

honestly they a good gateway into harsher vocals for me

even though i don't really listen to them anymore and they've started turning to complete shit from mars to sirius is a pretty cool album
>>
>>68308505
how new?
obvious bait right there
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.