[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Some of you guys are alright. Don't go down to Kokomo tomorrow.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: mikelove.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
mikelove.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
Some of you guys are alright. Don't go down to Kokomo tomorrow.
>>
But that's where we wanna go.
>>
The hurricane must be that bad, huh?
>>
>>68293401
Seriously did Mike Love contribute anything to The Beach Boys other than mediocre vocals and corny lyrics about surfing and cars? He's the kind of guy who throws in three words and demands a songwriting credit.
>>
>>68293689
Nope.

Only reason why he even got in the band was because he was the Wilson brothers' cousin. He was a shitty vocalist and an even worse songwriter.

The only worthwhile thing he did was to help keep the group together while Brian went through his bouts of mental ilnness and addiction.
>>
>>68293689
>>68293810

Mike Love was the frontman, that's what he contributed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNypbmPPDco

he's the lead singer on the majority of their hits

without Mike Love the Beach Boys would never have left Hawthorne

Nobody wants to watch pudgy betas like Brian and Carl awkwardly plunking away on their guitars

and Al Jardine is an embarrassing manlet

the only other alpha in the Beach Boys was Dennis, but Dennis was too stupid and irresponsible to be put up front
>>
before you say shit, Mike Love isn't bald, he wears a baseball hat most of the time to keep the California sun out of his eyes. Keep reaching
>>
>>68293810

To be fair he was their primary lead vocalist. They needed someone to take front and center while the Wilson's laid down their beautiful harmonies in the background. And he didn't do a bad job. He fit with the rest of the band sonically and was good at doing really deep vocals too. He was just a shitty lyricist and was against musical growth.

>The only worthwhile thing he did was to help keep the group together while Brian went through his bouts of mental ilnness and addiction.

I'm pretty sure Carl is the one who deserves credit for that. Everything I've read says he became the musical director of the group after Brian stepped back.
>>
>>68293854
The guy has been bald since his early 20s
>>
>>68293841
>Brian and Carl plunking away on guitars

Brian Wilson wasn't really a guitar player in the first place. He was a composer who almost always hired session musicians for recording.

Putting aside the caretakers and band members who had to grab him by the collar, Brian was the brains behind the group. He was the one responsible for making them as successful as they were.
>>
>>68293855

>shitty lyricist

I don't even agree with that. Tons of Love's lyrics are awesome/passable... he might not be Bob Dylan or Roger Waters but I don't see how California Girls has bad lyrics, I think they are above average for sure
>>
File: Magic Johnston.jpg (46KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Johnston.jpg
46KB, 500x500px
>>68293841
>the only other alpha in the Beach Boys was Dennis

>implying Based Bruce wasn't slaying more pussy than everyone else combined
>>
>>68293897
Mah nigga
>>
File: 1475614830503.jpg (35KB, 522x518px) Image search: [Google]
1475614830503.jpg
35KB, 522x518px
he's a horrible person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlL7-j-IvVA
>>
>>68293890

remember before the Beach Boys were studio trick they were an actual live band. You're right, Brian Wilson is smart. That's why he brought in Mike Love because they needed a charismatic lead singer. I know Brian wasn't much of a bassist, but afaik the only Beach Boy who ever played on their later records was Carl. I didn't mean to say they sucked at guitar/bass, I meant to say they didn't have the stage presence or charm of Mike Love.

the truth is, MOST people didn't notice when Brian left the band. Everyone would have noticed if Mike did. not saying Brian sucks, just saying the Beach Boys was a rock and roll band and Mike Love was their frontman

/mu/ might not realize that Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile were not what made the Beach Boys famous.

Their surfing/cars/girls music was.

yeah, Pet Sounds is brilliant and Brian really did something special. But people are rewriting history or ignoring the truth if they think that's what the Beach Boys will be remembered for
>>
>>68293841
Right, because when I think of the Beach Boys, I think of their swaggering frontman. When people think of 60s frontmen they think of Mick Jagger, Jim Morrison, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Roger Daltrey, Jerry Garcia, Steve Marriott, Ray Davies, and MIKE FUCKING LOVE. Right.
>>
someone please post the mike love at keyboard pic in response to >>68293944

i can't find it
>>
>>68293969

>Jerry Garcia

wut

you misunderstand what I'm saying. Mike Love is the guy connecting with the audience, he's their spokesman. So you might not realize it but their primary messager/communicator is Love

Fun, Fun, Fun
Surfin' USA
Little Deuce Coupe
California Girls
Little Honda

you and I both know Carl/Brian/Al/Dennis couldn't pull these songs off like Mike

let's dispel with this fiction that Mike Love wasn't an important member of the Beach Boys

don't hold a grudge against him because he didn't go down the rabbit hole with Brian Wilson
>>
But Mike why would I ever go down to Kokomo when my home on the range has wind chimes and plenty of cabin essence?
>>
>>68293944
You're right except for the last part.

Yes it's true that the girls/cars/surfing songs were what made them famous and that's the majority of their hits and many of those songs will be remembered for a long time.

However, it's not out of place to think Pet Sounds is what they will be remembered for the longest. It still has two of their biggest hits in Wouldn't It Be Nice and God Only Knows but it is also their one and only truly classic album. Well perhaps Today is as well. But critics and music historians will write much more about Pet Sounds than they will about Shut Down Vol. 2 or All Summer Long.
>>
File: fg.jpg (91KB, 564x698px) Image search: [Google]
fg.jpg
91KB, 564x698px
Some of you here might be familiar with the Nietzschean concept of Apollonian and Dionysian

Now hear this bold claim I have to make. Mike Love and Brian represent Apollonian and Dionysian respectively.

Mike Love = reason and logical thinking
Brian Wilson = appeals to the emotions and instincts.

Each need each other to keep themselves in check. Think of what would have happened if each had their way. If Mike Love was incharge none of the non-formulaic stuff would have happened and it would be strict business and no great artistic work coming out. From the very start Brian might have bankrupted the band if he tried expanding his creative visions. Pet sounds was only possible because of the less experimental success they had adding to the freedom Brian could have over the project money wise.

Each needed each other to keep the other in check
>>
>>68293810
Fuck off nu Beach Boys fag.

Mike's vocals were essential to their sound and early success. He was literally their frontman for the first 2 years of their existence and continued to take lead vocals on the majority of their big hits.

His vocals were among the worst in the band overall, but he's still not a bad singer. His bandmates were all just better. Listen to him on Meant For You from Friends. His lower range is fucking excellent too and was super important to rounding out the band's harmonies (nobody else could sing as low as him, so without him Brian wouldn't have anyone to dish out those sick bass parts). Listen to him towards the end of You Still Believe in Me, he hits some really goddamn low notes.

He isn't a completely shitty lyricist. You realize he wrote the lyrics to Good Vibrations right? He literally did it in a car ride on the way to the studio to record.

Also Carl is literally the one who kept the band together. He took a ton of songwriting upon himself, learned how to produce from Brian, and became their de facto frontman.

You literally know nothing about this band, stop posting.

>>68293969
Yeah he's geeky as fuck nowadays and hasn't aged as well as guys like Jagger and Morrison because they embody how we view rock even today.
>>
>>68293841
>Summer
>In
>Paradise

>The albums third track finally gets into some new and original material with the quasi-rap number “Summer of Love”, originally intended to be a duet between Mike Love and Bart Simpson for a planned Simpsons movie. John Tobler, author of The Complete Guide to the Music of The Beach Boys called “Summer of Love” quite possibly the worst set of lyrics Mike Love has ever concocted. “We’ll be bay watchin’ everyday, just off the Malibu surfin’ U. S. A.” The track appropriately turned up in a 1995 episode of Baywatch.

NEVER forget, NEVER forgive.
>>
>>68293897
No one even knew who he fuckin was.
>>
File: 1475783461245.jpg (328KB, 960x823px)
1475783461245.jpg
328KB, 960x823px
>Yeah, I think Brian is more talented than Mike

you have to go back
>>
ARUBA
>>
>>68294965
Hi mike!!
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.