[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is rock music dead? Has it been exhausted of all ideas?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1468580570249-fit.jpg (15KB, 600x468px) Image search: [Google]
1468580570249-fit.jpg
15KB, 600x468px
Is rock music dead? Has it been exhausted of all ideas?
>>
>>68288702
Probably, but that's not a bad thing. In fact, rock being exhausted of ideas encourages people to make rock music with a very distinct, unique sound. Rock music "dying" only really means it's going to get less generic and more interesting as time passes, which is great for the genre.
>>
File: 8569856556569562.jpg (129KB, 914x632px) Image search: [Google]
8569856556569562.jpg
129KB, 914x632px
>>68288768
>Rock music "dying" only really means it's going to get less generic and more interesting as time passes, which is great for the genre.
like jazz?
>>
rock right now is where jazz was in the 90's
>>
>>68288830
Not well versed with jazz history, what does it mean?

>>68288768
Do you foresee a resurgence of rock music in the future? If so, what do you envision it to be?
>>
>>68288798
I don't know exactly why jazz only became more derivative with time, but I really do think rock music is becoming more interesting and innovative as time passes, don't you think?
I think it's because there are so many offshoots of rock and they all sound so different; shoegaze, math rock, emo, etc. Jazz is just jazz. People have tried to start jazz subgenres, but so far the only truly successful one so far has been smooth jazz, and smooth jazz sucks.
>>
Pretty much. The only eternal genres are trad folk, Classical, and synthpop.

Hip-hop and shitty bro EDM is dying too. I don't know what comes next as the big mainstream popular music craze.
>>
>>68288893
>Do you foresee a resurgence of rock music in the future? If so, what do you envision it to be?
Yes. I think rock music is sort of like a recurring trend; it goes away and comes back in different forms every few years. It happened with metal (which eventually became so influential it became its own genre entirely), it happened with shoegaze, it happened with grunge, it happened with post-rock, it happened with punk (and again with post-punk), and it will probably happen again. It's a flavor-of-the-month-type deal.
>>
>>68288893
>If so, what do you envision it to be?
I don't exactly know. I don't know what people are going to come up with. I think lo-fi is starting to gain some traction; Teen Suicide, Silvia Palth, etc... they're going places.
>>
>>68288900
>I don't know exactly why jazz only became more derivative with time,
because it became a musicians genre and not a genre of the people.
>>
>>68288961
This gives me hope

>>68288933
Field Recordings will be the new trend
>>
>>68288933
grunge 2.0
>>
>>68289003
I guess that makes sense.
>>
>>68288933
>hip-hop is dying

I can only wonder what would happen to all these trap rap artists when hip-hop actually dies
>>
Rock music is very white nowadays, and being white is the least cool thing in the world right now.
>>
>>68289044
that and that it was hijacked by the cultural elite, the same way art always has been, by and for the cultural elite. If you're not in with the it crowd, you dont know what the fuck you're looking at. So you better pretend you know what the fuck you're looking at or you should stay out of the art galleries.

Some of the same reasons people left jazz behind, it became a circle jerk of overeducated musicians where the endgame was to show how musicaly educated you were, not to evoke any emotional response nor tell a narrative.

A giant musicaly inside joke where only a handfull seem to enjoy it while a larger following pretend to like it while the truth is closer to "it's nice background noise for when I drink my overpriced wine and talk to my highly educated middle aged friends about lofty topics"

sorry for the rant, as you might have figured out, I come from a low income family.
>>
>>68289232
That was very well said! I never really even pretended to like jazz and people would look at me like I was crazy and I didn't really know how to explain myself. I didn't know how to articulate it.
>>
>>68288900
>smooth jazz
but where did the smooth jazz come from, namefriend? or is this more of a "taste" thing
>>
>>68289410
Jazz. I said that in the post you replied to.
>>
>>68289346
Well, Jazz has its fair amount of greats, but the whole genre just went to shits in the late 70's. Alot of good shit before that.

It just turned into a blandgarbled mess where it's either 15 minutes of;

- present main theme
- trumpet solo improv over theme
- piano solo improv over theme
- contrabass solo improv over theme
- reprise of theme

(in other words just rehashes of old ideas with a unfamiliar scale thrown into the mix)

or strange jazz fusion genres that doesnt invoke any other thoughts than "oh that was a quiant idea, but outstayed its welcome about 15 minutes in"

The most exciting thing I've heard thats in the realm of jazz that have come out the last decade is BADBADNOTGOOD, which jazz purists hate when you put them in the same sentence as jazz. And it isnt that original to begin with, but they at least manage to present musical ideas without getting way to self indulgent with it.
>>
rock is lame white people shit.
>muh angst
>muh teenage rebellion
It's not dangerous or interesting anymore. Bury it. Hip hop will reign for the next decade or two and then whither away before some real good ass, mind blowing electronic music comes along and takes over.
>>
>>68289745
>mind blowing electronic music comes along and takes over.
that was the mid to late 90s.
>>
When jazz got as old as rock music is now, it had officially made itself into a high art genre with bebop and cool jazz bringing in ideas that would eventually lead to the crazy shit that went on from the late 50s till the 70s.

In fact now as a result most people think of those roughly 20 something years worth of crazy as jazz and not the decades of pop music and non-improvised compositions that were what jazz was for far longer.

But the thing is that jazz guys were willing to step their game up. All surface level explorations of the music style had been done by then, so at this point the musicians had to be technically proficient and have a good understanding of everything that came before them to be able to step their game up.

We haven't had that happen in rock music. Yes, rock music has now ran out of surface level gimmicks to wow people with, so that means it's all about quality songwriting. Yet nobody's willing to do that and rather do the same cliches of music from the 50s-90s.

Another thing that saved jazz when it got as old as rock is now is being open to other genres. Jazz became very open minded about world music type stuff, and even some electronic. Rock music comparatively has done very little to interact with other forms of music, only fit to take surface level ideas from other forms of music rather than more fundamental ones like for example, Glenn Branca was able to do in the 80s.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.