[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jazz thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
Woh, what the fuck is that Miles?
I might have listened to his bebop/hardbop before, and stuff like Bitches Brew and Sketches of Spain are godlike.
But this?
Not sure I can like it one day, sounds pretty cheesy. And I have nothing against 80's sonorities when they're well used. But it just sounds...kinda bad.

Anyways...please excuse my terrible english and let's have a jazz thread.
Don't hesistate to throw in recent jazz stuff, I'm curious to see if there's something behind the heritage of Davis, Coltrane and stuff. (I liked the Hiromi trio a lot these past years but I don't know where to dig for more fresh jazz-inspired stuff, more ambitious stuff than lounge or "the same old stuff")
>>
Mic check
>>
i hate jazz
>>
>>68286562
Here's some good modern jazz

Dave Holland Quintet- Live at Birdland
Ari Hoenig- Live at Smalls
Rudresh Mahanthappa- Gamak
Steve Lehman- Mise en Abime
Matana Roberts- Coin Coin Chapter 1
Alex Sipiagin- Destinations Unknown
Ambrose Akinmusire- The Imagined Savior
David Binney- Lifted Land
>>
>>68287744
>no Blood Quartet

step up my dude

http://feedingtuberecords.com/releases/deep-red/
>>
>>68286562
Miles and his bebop freeform improvised solos is right around the era I lose interest in jazz. I like my jazz composed and worked out to sound good ahead of time.
>>
File: dolphy 3.jpg (211KB, 900x1107px) Image search: [Google]
dolphy 3.jpg
211KB, 900x1107px
any good current or old avant-garde/experimental jazz?

I'm tired of bebop and bright/happy/cheesy sounding stuff.

As reference, i currently really fucking love Eric Dolphy.
>Out There
>Out to lunch
amazing albums, highly recommend them.

It seems like jazz became a fucking grampa thing after it started being taught in universities...just became kinda fucking boring; Is there any new stuff thats actually interesting/innovative?
>>
>>68286562
OP if you want real boundary pushing shit, check out the album that Akira Sakata did with Jim O'Rourke and Merzbow a few years back

or Tashi Dorji & Tyler Damon - Both Will Escape (comes out in a few weeks)

Fire! is a real cool group as well. Lots of weird free jazz in the Nordic countries.
>>
>>68287914
like i said over here:
>>68287810
>>68287916

take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQh_m-YxXJ4
>>
File: HerbieH.jpg (67KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
HerbieH.jpg
67KB, 344x344px
>>68286562
I'm very very new to Jazz. So far I have listened to nothing but Herbie Hancock. And he's fucking great.

So far my favorites are Headhunters, Fat Albert Rotunda, and Inventions & Dimensions.

How do Jazz-Heads feel about him?
>>
>>68287953
he's beloved. Most people love Headhunters and the one that came immediately after (name escapes me)

You should check out the Sextet album and Emperyean Isles. His early work is real cool too.

You'll also probs dig the jazz funk of Donald Byrd and Bobbi Humphrey
>>
>>68286562
i own everything of his before his temporary retirement

but this album is atrocious
>>
>>68287914
See
>>68287744
Mahanthappa, Lehman, Roberts are all innovative plus check out David Virelles- Mboko

The rest are definitely interesting but not necessarily innovative. Then again I'd be interested to have you explain to me what's innovative about Out to Lunch
>>
>>68287979
I've listened to everything up to Thrust. (Just finished Thrust today)

I hate to tell you this but i...did NOT care for Sextant. Sorry. The second track was fine, but the third one was forgettable, and the first was one of the worst I've heard from Herbie.
>>
>>68288016
you must not listen to much electronic music

try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH26ghknZdg
>>
>>68288072
You're not wrong.
The only electronic I listen to is Fatboy Slim and Daft Punk (and does Bjork count?) . I'm listening to the one you sent right now.
>>
>>68288092
I'd count Bjork to some extent. She'd be a good artist to help someone get more into the genre.

You should try this one on for size sometime. This album fuses electronic music and jazz so well, it's terrifying.

May have heard it in commercials that some car company has been using it in lately too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVEusVobh5s
>>
>>68287953
omg ew
>>
>>68287881
mate that just comes with time. The more and more you learn about jazz the more tension you can feel in the music before resolving. Playing a #11 and resolving sounds wrong to plebs but people who actually understand it think it's beautiful. You have to listen to jazz pretty chronologically.
>>
>>68287942
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQh_m-YxXJ4
Dope dude, I'll listen to all of those; thanks for the suggestions
>>
>>68288123
Not my style. It makes great background music for movies to set a tone for a scene but I can't tolerate it on its own. I understand it well enough. I even studied it for a while in university.
>>
>>68288116
I'm already listening to the first video someone sent but I'll get to yours in a second. Thanks.

>>68288072
God damn this is great....
>>
File: yjg.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
yjg.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
I've recently been listening to the Young Jazz Giants project a lot and enjoying it too. What do you guys think about late iterations of typical standards?

Because that final track where they tear apart Giant Steps is beautiful to me. How they acknowledge how restrictive it is harmonically and how they approach it via different grooves is blissful to me.
>>
>>68288120
Not a fan?
>>
>>68288166
jazz is more than a fucking aesthetic though. What do you mean?
>>
>>68288168
you just responded to me twice fyi

I'm probably one of the biggest jazz nuts on this entire board besides that one trip who used to stop by all the time. I own more jazz LPs than anything else and most of my discogs wantlist is rare jazz

such is the life of the record store geek
>>
Been listening to a lot of Roland Kirk lately, anybody here play in a jazz band???

rec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiI2ZHmxPPo
>>
>>68288276
>tfw love jazz
>tfw can't play it for shit

Only Kirk I own is Blacknuss. That album is a jam
>>
>>68288116
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVEusVobh5s
This is fucking awesome; thanks for all the suggestions guys

>>68288000
>Then again I'd be interested to have you explain to me what's innovative about Out to Lunch
I guess I dont listen to enough jazz but i was really impressed with Out there. none of the jazz ive listened to from that era sounds anything like that style imo
>>
>>68288276
I do, mate! any general tips for current jazz bands? We've been trying to harmonically challenge pop songs and hiphop grooves for a few months and been having a pretty good reception from initial listeners.

Anything /mu/ would like from a new jazz band that tries to fuse with current sounds?
>>
>>68288226
Yeah I figured, my bad.
I don't know why Herbie Hancock appealed to me so much. I just heard he was one of the more versatile jazz musicians. Is that true?
>>
>>68287881
What about when he starts doing more electric stuff and jazz becomes composed again?
>>
>>68288345
I'd give him like a 7. He shows up in all kinds of places and he's been in the game so long that's kind of inevitable. He's not quite a Miles or a Coltrane since those are the two most versatile I can think of, but he's high up there.

When you think about the ground that Miles covered from 1963 to 1973 or Coltrane from '56 to '66, it's just astounding.

>>68288292
you should listen to The Shape of Jazz to Come. And if you want more of them sick vibraphones, Walt Dickerson
>>
>>68288333
Keep practicing, try not to pigeon hole yourselves into playing one style, really bond with your band mates so you'll be super tight. I've noticed some jazz bands have a lot of technically proficient players but they never let loose and really lock into a solid swing/groove. I was in a bebop trio for a while and while we were proficient players we really just couldnt play well together because we were all focusing on what we wanted and not what the group wanted, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>68288415
I've heard about Miles, but who's Coltrane? Don't know much about him.
>>
>>68288435
One of the most influential saxophonists after Charlie Parker. If you want to really get into the history of jazz his discography is mandatory listening. Giant Steps and Blue Train are a good place to start.
>>
>>68288435
John Coltrane is one of if not the most famous jazzman of all-time. He was a member of one of Miles' greatest groups and played on many of his legendary albums in the 50s like Kind of Blue, then went on to make a name for himself with albums like Blue Trane, Giant Steps, etc, before he embraced the avant garde ideas perpetrated by people like Andrew Hill, Mingus, Dolphy, and Ornette Coleman, fusing it with a heavy religious spirituality which led to the creation of what many consider one of the greatest works of music of all-time, A Love Supreme. Coltrane then got increasingly experimental and even more balls out fuckin crazy in free jazz sounds with Meditations, Ascension, etc until he died from cancer at like 40.

He's a canonized saint in one african american christian church.

do listen to him.
>>
>>68288524
Give me a song/album and I'll listen to it right away.

I just finished the one the other anon gave me. It was fantastic.
>>
>>68288568
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYpYyM3bW08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsxtKQW9ggg
>>
>>68288568
my recs for you have mostly been on point tonight, so i'll say just dive into these two that >>68288602
posted

if you want to see how far Coltrane takes his shit and steps it up, check out Meditations
>>
>>68288419
So you feel it's more so about reinventing the groove than being hyper-technical?
Becuase that's what I've been trying to communicate. To me, our hypest moments was where we got this triplet groove over this Let it Go cover. Overaccentuating the nasty groove of that song.
>>
>>68288602
>>68288625
Thanks, I'll listen to Love Supreme first.
>>
for those of you looking for more cool, new jazz, I literally just found this and found it was just released. Gonna have to snag a copy STAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL9C1bW3IcQ
>>
>>68288682
I feel there is a good balance, but the groove, the rhythm is, to me, far more important. You can play whatever the hell you want, as long as the rhythm is tight. The rhythm section is just absolutely imperative, especially when it comes to a jazz band. After that i would say melodic content, then harmony. I'm not saying to simply ignore harmony, but harmony to me is really the icing on the cake. A chord progression is a chord progression is a chord progression. Not to say everyone shouldn't be harmonizing, but good harmony is nothing without a solid melody and rhythm. You're piano player can play a ii-V-I in C, and sure by himself that would be quite boring, but through in a drummer and a bassist laying down a killer rhythm, along with a soloist who has a strong melodic and harmonic vocabulary, and you could play over the same progression for hours. Technical playing is for the practice room, just let go and play really good music when you're together.
>>
>>68288948
This is correct and well-said
>>
File: Five_Peace_Band_Live.jpg (70KB, 500x496px) Image search: [Google]
Five_Peace_Band_Live.jpg
70KB, 500x496px
>>
File: california concert.jpg (99KB, 1500x1349px) Image search: [Google]
california concert.jpg
99KB, 1500x1349px
whats ur favorite live album
>>
>>68290026
Ornette Coleman live in Norway '66 is amazing

also Freddie Hubbard - Night of the Cookers Vol. II
>>
File: folder.jpg (84KB, 900x889px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
84KB, 900x889px
>>68290026
; _ ;
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.