[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern prog rock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 523453453453.jpg (56KB, 540x601px) Image search: [Google]
523453453453.jpg
56KB, 540x601px
What are the best prog rock albums of the past 20 years?
>>
The Sky Moves Sideways is just over 20 years old but it's still pretty much the best prog of the past 20-something years.

Also, it really depends on whether you want prog that leans towards psychedelia or towards metal.

(protip: most of it is revivalist shit anyway)
>>
This is about a whore (of some kind) that gets executed with three songs each dedicated to the perspectives of the girl, the prison guard who executes her, and the girl. The message is SJW-y, but there are a lot of fun techy riffs, with metallic vocal acrobatics flying over a lot of more alterna-punk riffs that also play with time signatures quite a bit if I remember. Their follow-up, Fortress, is probably a bit more proggy, and a lot less punky, but I find the way the characters are laid out and their viewpoints presented here to be interesting and also emotionally poignant. It's a "light grey vs dark grey" type of conflict, although they obviously favor the titular whore, and it gets overblown towards the end.
>>
>>68278842
*The priest who orders her execution, the prison guard, and the girl
I'm typing this on my phone just to occupy myself while it's dead at work.
>>
>>68278842
A SIN I DIDN'T CARE FOR
>>
>>68278842
AY
MEN
TO
THE
PEE
POL
WHO
>>
File: cover.jpg (224KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
224KB, 1000x1000px
You know it's true
>>
>>68280262
>not Frances the Mute

for what godforsaken purpose
>>
>>68280347
Well they're both great, I just prefer Deloused
>>
>>68278477
>(protip: most of it is revivalist shit anyway)
as with most music, I don't get why prog gets singled out for this so much
>>
Tipographica - God Says I Can't Dance

>>68278420
That album is from 1969 and barely prog rock, just in case.
>>
Thank You Scientist. Check out their albums Maps of Nonexistent Places, and Stranger Heads Prevail. They have a dedicated sax, trumpet, and violin too.
>>
>>68278477
this but also Signify is slightly better imo
>>
>>68281378
Imahori Tsuneo's work for Hajime No Ippo's first series is amazing stuff.
>>
>>68278420
>>
>>68281639
Hajime no Ippo is about a boxer, right? If yes, that would be pretty cool.
I know Tsuneo composed the whole Trigun OST, participated in Cowboy Bebop's, and was featured on Yoshide's Cathode. Pretty cool, if you ask me. Still, the album I posted is his best work. Unbeltipo is nice as well, slightly heavier and drier, but it keeps the crazy rhythms and melodies (even uses tape music to enhance the jerky rhythms, and it works wonderfully well).
>>
File: OIolI-Cr.jpg (84KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
OIolI-Cr.jpg
84KB, 512x512px
Rec me some 2016 prog or prog-influenced alt rock or whaterver
>>
>>68281685
wigger mariachi slipknot
>>
>>68281699
he is also in Yoko Kanno's Seatbelts for Cowboy Bebop sessions.
and in a gits soundtrack...

His use of rhythm is very distinct.
>>
>>68281746
Here is a better rec: don't listen to alt prog

>>68281789
Absolutely. You should really listen to the Tape song from Unbeltipo's Pheasantism album. It probably features his most interesting rhythm section (together with a killer heavy/anxious melody).
>>
>>68278420
What's the name of the album that uses that book cover? I cant remember and it's killing me
>>
>>68281847
thanks, I will check it out!
I didn't know about the use of tape and I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.