[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best Bob Dylan albums to start people on?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (153KB, 350x443px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
153KB, 350x443px
What's the best Bob Dylan albums to start people on?
>>
Highway 61 Revisited is the most accessible
>>
more like bob wire
>>
>>68273058
"The Times Are A Changin'" got me really into Bob Dylan
>>
I'm not a huge fan of Bob Dylan but I actually really enjoy Blood on the Tracks.
>>
>>68273058
Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Highway 61 Revisited
Blood on the Tracks

I think these three are good examples of Dylan's appeal in a broader sense, though it's by no means exhaustive of his songwriting styles or arrangements.
>>
Desire
>>
>>68273058
Depends on if they're interested in his Folk material or not. But primarily the best introductions would be Bringin It All Back Home and Highway 61. Throw in Freewheelin' if they want the early Folk stuff.
>>
The "essential" albums:

Freewheelin'
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde
Blood on the Tracks

The almost essential albums:

The Times They Are
Another Side of
John Wesley Harding
Nashville Skyline
Desire
Time Out of Mind
"Love and Theft"
All of the Bootleg Series besides The Cutting Edge. Literally all of it.

If you still want to try out the rest of the good stuff:

s/t
New Morning
Planet Waves
Street Legal
Slow Train Coming
Infidels
Oh Mercy
Good As I Been to You
World Gone Wrong

I don't like the the rest of the "official" discography.

The Cutting Edge, the most recent Bootleg Series release is great but it's really only for someone who's already heavily invested in Dylan.

And on a related note, what do you guys think fo the 66 tour being released?
>>
Is there a Dylan flowchart like the Bowie one?
>>
>>68273261
wow, good post. this guy knows his dylan, go with his advice

biograph is also a fun and varied career overview if you're into that kinda stuff (i.e. not allergic to compilations)

>And on a related note, what do you guys think fo the 66 tour being released?
i'm fucking hype as shit brother. this is literally my #1 holy grail and it's all coming out, i honestly can't believe it
>>
>>68273261
Yep, this.
>>
>>68273058
either "Bringing It All Back Home" or
"John Wesley Harding"
but I guess the safest choice would be "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" (1967)
>>
>>68273058
I haven't listened to Bob's electric guitar period. Highway and Blonde on Blonde bored me to tears imo. But I absolutely loved Freewhelin', one of my all time favorite albums you should start with that one
>>
>>68273058
Bringing it All Back Home
not necessarily his best, but is a good combination of his styles, from there the listener can decide whether they want more rock or folk
>>
>>68273536
here is an oversimplification of getting into bob dylan

listen to Bringing It All Back Home

>wow I really liked side A

go forward chronologically

>wow I really liked side B

go backward chronologically

>wow I liked both

listen to all of this:>>68273261

except john wesley harding belongs in essential. it is his best album after all.
>>
>>68275317
Being a huge fan of folk, I was like you for a while.

Keep listening to them. The blues tracks may never grow on you, but there's only like 3-4 on H61 and BoB, and every electric non 12 bar blues song is utterly magnificent.

BoB has some of Dylan's best work, don't let it slip under your radar.

>>68273058
From the beginning. Experiencing firsthand Dylan's evolution as a songwriter, arranger, instrumentalist, and vocalist is a once in a lifetme experience. Please do not attempt to abridge it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.