[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the deal with Harsh Noise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Hotline Costanza.jpg (30KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
Hotline Costanza.jpg
30KB, 750x750px
I want to understand the inspiration behind harsh noise? What is the philosophy behind its creation? I understand that it is in part made to question our understanding of what is and is not music, but does it go deeper than that? What are the artist thoughts about what Harsh Noise represents? Any good harsh noise artist interviews that answer these questions?
>>
Think layers of texture more than of songs i guess.
>>
>>68267737
The Velvet Undergound revolutionized noise music
>>
Sometimes you just want to hear a loud wall of sound
>>
>>68267737
I think it's strongly related to the general nihilism of the generation born during Word War II all over the world

Basically you had a Western generation of youth who saw that all the advances of Western civilization had just caused utter shit - no respect for any older generation.

This is most evident in post-war Germany - country divided to two, the generation of parents exposed as vile nazis and all that war crime stuff. It was there that young people like Peter Brötzmann - feeling no connection to any pas generation's art - came up with music like Machine Gun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27CpT79NMhQ

And it would take root elsewhere - young artists not feeling a connection to any past art started looking into violent forms, breaking molds as they went - more strongly at first where the war was lost like Germany and Japan.
>>
>>68267964
So is it meant to represent extreme violence as a grotesque thing, or an interpretation of war and violence?
>>
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~randall/Readings%20W2/Attali_Jacques_Noise_The_Political_Economy_of_Music.pdf

read up.
>>
>>68268165
thanks, I will work on reading this
>>
>>68267737
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxe3NZKYL0
not harsh but might help you see the appeal
>>
>>68267737
I don't know any interviews, but harsh noise is the expression of highly textured sound unadulterated by the confines of traditional music. Every popular style plays in 3/4, or 4/4 and it has some kind of hook. Noise dispels those rigid characteristics and defines itself as sound with many possibilities beyond certain confines. Also some people just like grating sound grinding their eardrums and having itchy ear canals.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.