[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of Dire Straits?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: BrothersInArms.jpg (156KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
BrothersInArms.jpg
156KB, 800x800px
What does /mu/ think of Dire Straits?
>>
Dadrock shit popular with 50 year old truck drivers.
>>
>>68266819
SEE THE LITTLE FAGGOT
>>
>>68266819
great band - great inspiration for me on my journey to becoming a music lover

Mark Knopfler is one of the most stylish guitarists of all time and his stuff since Dire Straits really isn't too good apart from a couple of tracks

I was born in 1976 so I do remember when Brothers in Arms came out and Money for Nothing became the coolest music video ever seen, but that was really only where my love for Dire Straits started - the better stuff was already done earlier. They were also my first big arena rock experience on the On Every Street -tour in 1992 - incredible, I still remember with a grin my amusement when after the last song they played the Monty Python -track Always Look on the Bright Side of Life when people were leaving the stadium.

Brothers in Arms has Money for Nothing and the incredible title track, sure, but it was really Love Over Gold and the self titled album that I fell in love with after looking deeper from the hits.

Telegraph Road sparked my interest for long form tracks and pretty much sent me on my way to love prog rock. Private Investigations is also such a strong track. With my downstairs neighbor we used to listen to Love Over Gold on repeat and play Civilization IV - I still connect screenshots of that game with those songs.

Self-titled is also a real classic - incredible how an album like that could break through in 1978 - I love my punk and new wave, but I also love Dire Straits. Down to the Waterline and Sultans of Swing are all time classic tracks - when I learned to really play guitar my pride was able to do all the lead parts of Sultans of Swing, still love that Knopfler style.

A lot of listeners discredit Communique, but it's good shit! Single Handed Sailor especially has some of Knopfler's smoothest playing, it's really like the first album material evolved.

Great band, I listened to them a lot 20 years ago and I see them as one of the bands that really made me appreciate musicianship back then.
>>
>>68266819

Walk Of Life is my guilty pleasure
>>
File: christgau_2.jpg (46KB, 450x391px) Image search: [Google]
christgau_2.jpg
46KB, 450x391px
Brothers in Arms [Warner Bros., 1985]

"Money for Nothing" is a catchy sumbitch, no getting around it, and the first side moves with simple generosity, not a virtue one associates with this studio guitarist's ego trip. But it's too late for the old bluesboy to suck us into his ruminations of the perfidy of woman and the futility of political struggle, and "Money for Nothing" is also a benchmark of pop hypocrisy. We know Mark Knopfler's working-class antihero is a thicky because he talks like Randy Newman and uses the same word for homosexual that old bluesboys use, a word Knopfler has somehow gotten on the radio with no static from the PMRC. I mean, why not "little nigger with the spitcurl" instead of "little faggot with the earring," Mark? And while we're at it, how the hell did you end up on MTV? By spelling its name right? B-
>>
>>68267270
>>68267820
MK had a lot of issues with gay people...
>>
>>68267106
>that one guy on the bbng track said jazz sucks haha im a cool contrarian too
>>
>>68266819
I think it's a neat album and I think Mork Knoppelganger is pretty great.
>>
>>68267916

Not him, but a store staff
>>
i LIKE EM
>>
Dadrock
>>
>>68266819
The title track on this album is so beautiful.
>>
>>68267106
>>68269586
>WOWZERS HAHAHAHA AM I COOL YET GUISE? :V
>>
>>68266819
>IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII waaaaaaant myyyyyyyyyyyyy EEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMMMM TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>68266819
I think they're pretty cool.
>>
The Coldplay of their era desu. Dreary old dadrock but not really bad per se.
>>
>>68270246
Coldplay put me to sleep.
>>
>>68267106
The truest statement ever posted on /mu/.

Fuck Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler.
>>
It's fucking great

It's probably my dad's favorite album, and pretty much the soundtrack of my childhood
>>
mark knopfler was a killer guitarist but their music as a whole was super unforgettable. kind of a shame
>>
>>68270055
best part of the album 2bh
>>
I hate dire straits ever since this one time i went to sing money for nothing at karaoke and the lyrics got pretty uncomfortable and I didn't know where to sing them or just quit so I kind of just improvised.
>>
File: j75vIc8.png (89KB, 524x499px) Image search: [Google]
j75vIc8.png
89KB, 524x499px
>>68270907
>unforgettable
you must mean "forgettable"
>>
>>68271030
i really did my man, thanks for the star. can i edit posts on 4chan
>>
Dire Straits fucking rules and anyone who disagrees is a little faggot with the earring and the makeup.
Ride Across the River is my dark horse favorite off that album
>>
File: hmph2.gif (5KB, 251x180px) Image search: [Google]
hmph2.gif
5KB, 251x180px
>>68271068
>can i edit posts on 4chan
well, you probably can't, no
>>
>>68271102
haha fuckin epic
>>
>>68267106
"Im an edgy as fuck millennial who only listens to the freshest, dopest beats and shit ya'll, all that old time gay shit can suck my clit, BITCHES!!"
>>
>>68267820
Return of the Champions [Hollywood, 2005]

Where Freddie Mercury was a true queen, Paul Rodgers is a big disgrace. And that's not even counting the Bad Company cover, the Free cover, or, facts is facts, the HIV song. D+

Gee, Christgau sure became homophobic with the years.
>>
>>68266819
little faggots tbqhfamalam
>>
Is Knopfler's thumb freakishly large from birth or from not using a pick all his life?
>>
sultans of swing is god-tier

they might me MOR shite to most people but there's something about them that makes them a million times better than any other MOR shite
>>
>>68267820
>that butthurt
>>
>>68267106
Dire Straits is mom rock, not dad rock
>>
>>68266819
Love over Gold > Making Movies > s/t >>> Brothers in Arms >>>>> Communique > On Every Street
>>
>>68266819
I like them
>>
>>68275330
lel
>>
Not favorite of mine personally but Dire Straits were a good band. They knew what they were doing and they did what they did quite well.
>>
>>68267820
Does he have a framed picture of himself?
>>
File: xdc.png (39KB, 1000x1000px)
xdc.png
39KB, 1000x1000px
>When the rhythm section from In The Gallery hits

How can anyone not like them after that?
>>
I used to listen to them in high school.....
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.