[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Albums Better Than Loveless

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0282.jpg (61KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0282.jpg
61KB, 500x500px
ITT: Albums Better Than Loveless
>>
>>68256710
Not this one. By the way, Isn't Anything arguably did noise-pop better.
>>
>>68256710
but this isn't even close...
it is one great song, and then like 10 songs that try to be the same song, but done badly.
>>
>>68256710
Can confirm this. I placed my set of speakers side by side, one group played Loveless the other played Souvlaki. The result was undeniable. 320kb rips. Same volume for all tracks. Loveless wins.
>>
>>68256783
But the best track on the album is "The Hardest Walk". Then "Just Like Honey" and "You Trip Me Up" are tied.
>>
you could list just about anything but if we wanna talk about doing shoegaze better than loveless, then I'll throw in My Dead Girlfriend. As someone who is pretty anti-shoegaze, it's the only poppy shoegaze band I like.
>>
>>68256710
>>
>>68256737
every other song on this album is an obnoxious """"""""""""experimental"""""""""""" track
>>
>>68256710
No fucking way. Psychocandy just might be the most overrated album of all time. I've listened to it three times and got zero enjoyment from it. Seriously, fuck this album and all of the pretentious hippie fucks who think it qualifies as anything other than mediocre, fashionable noise.
>>
>>68257785
What is actually bad about it
>>
File: pepe morph.png (135KB, 483x442px) Image search: [Google]
pepe morph.png
135KB, 483x442px
>>68257785
>fashionable noise

you're giving me flashbacks of that shitty complex article
>>
>>68257834
Uninteresting melodies and an overwhelming feeling of style over substance. I actually enjoy the production just fine but none of the songs grab me. They are all oh-so-distant in a moody sort of way. Maybe some people can get their rocks off to that but I can't.
>>
>>68256783
Exactly what I was going to say.
I don't get why this album is so respected - I like their sound but as an album it all melds together with like 2 standout tracks
>>
>>68256710

no one ever remembers a single song from that album other than just like honey

the rest is just a blur because it all sounds the same
>>
>>68257862
if you listen to their later stuff (particularly Darklands) it's basically the same but without the noise. You can hear then that there's actually a lot of interesting songwriting going on, but I guess the album is mostly known for its noise because that was so influential.
>>
>>68257894
Yeah, you must be right as Psychocandy came out in '85. That's well before any of the noisier shoegaze bands of the early 90s and would make it contemporaneous with Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising of the same year. I can definitely respect that.

I'll give Darklands a shot. Thanks.
>>
>>68257862
>Uninteresting melodies
You see, I never saw Psychocandy as being too concerned with melody, it's carried by the timbre, I mean the guitars border on white noise at some points. And that's the exact reason it's held up as a classic. The songwriting is just average pop songwriting, but it was the noisy guitars. And I know noise pop is a dime a dozen these days, but back then, it was something new. This is that "Seinfeld isn't funny" dilemma or whatever they call it.

Of course, Loveless has poppy songwriting too, but Kevin Shield's work is what makes it so good, and it was just on another level in what it was just trying to do compared to what Psychocandy was trying to do, which is why I think people comparing the two is dumb. They're completely different bsides the "shoegaze" label that they both get.

Kevin was trying to do everything he could to get the whole Brian WIlson "wall of sound" going on, while Psychocandy is Post Punk with fuzzwah, feedback, and Industrial influences

They're both good albums
>>
>>68257879
>>68257893
>implying that isn't exactly true of Loveless
>>
>>68258163
Loveless has memorable, distinct tracks in my experience.
>>
>>68256783
just like loveless
>>
>>68257858
>shitty complex article
Link? I want to share in the ptsd.
>>
File: pepedissapoint.png (73KB, 454x453px) Image search: [Google]
pepedissapoint.png
73KB, 454x453px
>>68258362
http://www.complex.com/style/2013/10/undercover-springsummer-2014-inspired-music-wont-want-listen
>>
>>68258630
>Anyway, TJAMC's album Psychocandy is a "cult classic" or something and has made a bunch of "Best British Rock Albums Of The Past 25 Years That You Don't Give A Shit About" lists and graces a baseball jacket in the aforementioned collection. Just for shits and giggles I'm going to listen to the record while I write the rest of this post. Wikipedia says the genre is "Noise Pop", so this obviously going to suck.

I-is he being serious? Am I missing the joke? Where do these kinds of people live?
>>
>>68258960
complex writers are by far the absolute worst people in existance
>>
File: pure holocaust.jpg (88KB, 600x595px) Image search: [Google]
pure holocaust.jpg
88KB, 600x595px
>>68256710
>>
>>68256783
>i can't get into music that isn't super fucking accessible pop tunes
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.