[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Midori never get famous?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

File: S38_4491.jpg (37KB, 300x448px) Image search: [Google]
S38_4491.jpg
37KB, 300x448px
Why did Midori never get famous?
>>
not too accessible right?
>>
>>68253527
No apparent target audience, they were with a major label but even that didnt help much
>>
>>68253587
that makes it worse if you're a bit obscure, they don't know wtf to do with you
>>
>>68253527
wait did they break up because they couldn't sell or something?
>>
>>68253650
Yea they broke up. And then later Gato quit her solo career after 3 albums.

I feel bad for her.
>>
File: mariko.jpg (21KB, 312x471px) Image search: [Google]
mariko.jpg
21KB, 312x471px
>>68253527
Mariko looks like a character from a 80s Konami arcade game

She can be sexy at times though, i've actually fapped to her/her music under stress

Rough times

As for Midori it's pretty awesome imo

not too experimental, not too mainstrean

awesome punk-jazz fusion

and i like the half edgy/half cute style (yeah its overplayed but so what?)

only good things to say desu.
>>
File: [email protected] (23KB, 500x486px) Image search: [Google]
m@u.jpg
23KB, 500x486px
>>68253535
probably
she has a solo pop thing now though, haven't heard it
>>
>>68253527
>>68253727
>>68253737
I want to fuggg Mariko... And then wife her
Honestly half their musical output was always too dissonant and chaotic for most ears
>>
File: R-4522229-1454856902-8172.png.jpg (56KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
R-4522229-1454856902-8172.png.jpg
56KB, 600x600px
pic related was almost a meme too, what happened to that?
>>
File: cover.jpg (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
26KB, 500x500px
>>68253799
i dunno why that gets all the praise, second is actually way better
>>
>>68253527
Well, I've known about them since I was a teen and I'm on the other side of the world, so they achieved a level of fame.
They never made it big because they don't have a commercial sound and catered to an incredibly niche audience while working within a very conservative country.
Plus, there's only so far you can go with a gimmick and they must have run out of steam, got frustrated and decided to pack it in.
>>
>>68254727
Gimmick?
>>
a lot of my japanese friends know them tho

all bands don't have to be as big as boowy or whatever
>>
>>68254860
You don't know what a gimmick is? Everyone has one in some capacity.

When you make something, it is with the intention of spreading [an idea]. That idea is embodied in the work and it terms of performed work it is embodied in the performer.

They ran the whole juxtaposed cute schoolgirl/abrasive attitude thing and played a tonne of genres against each other. There was a whole unconventional for the sake of getting the message across thing. Gimmick isn't derogatory. Gimmicks can wear you out, especially when you run out of ways to push them forward and in a band, where there are different people, arguments start because different people have different agendas and it can get toxic.

I didn't expect to have to explain that.
>>
>>68253812
agreed. i prefer 385 to everything midori has done tho.
anyone heard mutyumu? if you like midori check mutyumu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5mWA6MWVEE
>>
>>68253587
being with a major label is a detriment to being popular as an edgy/underground act.

i can't listen to them again after learning this.
>>
>>68254938
I know what a gimmick is, but I wasn't sure how it's related to the band.
>>
>>68253527
Because Kpop exist???
>>
post more mariko pics
>>
>>68255306
this tbqhwyf
>>
>>68253527
Believe it or not, screaming, noise rock, and a literally insane frontwoman don't combine to make a band the mainstream audience will like.
>>
I'm a minute in to an album of theirs and its honestly one of the worst things I've listened to in recent times.
>>
>>68255336
>literally insane

You mean it goes past just a stage act?
>>
>>68254959
Not him but this sounds promising, thanks
>>
>>68255361
Her twitter used to be rife with really depressing tweets and she's had a few outbursts and breakdowns at a few of her shows. There was an incident involving her throwing a camera in a fan's face at a concert of hers, and apparently she's been committed a few times, but such is the way things roll in Japan, no one knows for sure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/3xapyr/what_ever_happened_to_mariko_goto/
>>
>>68253527
any good upskirt pics of this gook slut
i wanna see whats under that skirt
>>
File: tumblr_nbor9g8GBa1tlejx9o1_500.jpg (72KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nbor9g8GBa1tlejx9o1_500.jpg
72KB, 500x332px
>>68255306
>>
>>68253527
it got internet famous, i think that's fair enough for a bipolar lolicon screaming over poor jazz/noise rock instrumentals
>>
>>68255587
dammit
i want to see her turd cutter
>>
>>68255571
at the end of this video, she peels off her panties and throws them into the crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlAf3YVMlag
>>
File: tumblr_njz4sxJ7HF1rxonako1_1280.jpg (385KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njz4sxJ7HF1rxonako1_1280.jpg
385KB, 1224x1632px
>you'll never get hugged from behind by her
>>
>>68255306
>>
>>68255648
Holy shit, this bitch is crazy. I think I just might check these guys out.
>>
File: S38_4497.jpg (40KB, 450x301px) Image search: [Google]
S38_4497.jpg
40KB, 450x301px
>>68255306
>>
>>68255648
jap crowds are so weak
>>
>>68253527
>>68253587

The Japanese have disgusting music taste, their mainstream music is the single most stomach-churning after Germany.

Of course they found no success, they were an underground noise rock band that got lucky, Japan ain't into that shit at all.
>>
Oh, another band praised beacuse the female singer is a slut
what's the difference between them and Paramore, Chvrches and other shit like that?
>>
>>68255774
t. no knowledge japhater
>>
>>68253737

Not anymore. She quit music for good after a short period of writing for idol groups. She got really depressed because she wasn't selling and sold all her instruments to pay for hospital bills.
>>
>>68255786

Hello? I'm talking about their mainstream music? The kind of shit you hear in anime openings and TV ads? the pinballs, sekai no owari, electric eel shock, you know all those shitty ass dick-riding pop-rock acts that don't hold a candle to underground acts like 385 or Melt-Banana.
>>
>>68255833
woah almost like the mainstream music industry everywhere

fuck off
>>
>>68255851

Woah there sonny boy, wasn't that exactly my point in the first post I made?

Read a book son.
>>
>>68255872
no you literally ragged on the japanese and the japanese alone for having a bad mainstream music industry
>>
>>68255882

I mean hello this is a Japanese music thread?

>japanese alone
>>68255774
>their mainstream music is the single most stomach-churning after Germany.

Son, you gotta get your ADD checked out, your reading comprehension goes out the window too fast.
>>
Well the fact that their stuff isn't on Youtube, Spotify or any other major distribution method didn't help their case.
>>
>>68255071
Ah, sorry for coming across as condescending. Gimmick isn't often used like that.
>>
>>68255894
>japan is the worst
>N-NOO I DIDNT MEAN JAPAN IS THE WORST

stop back pedalling your limp dicked fuckhead and admin you hate japan, did you j-gf dump you or something?
>>
>>68255919
>tfw it takes me three posts from you to realize I'm just getting strung along

yare yare, I'm getting rusty...
>>
>>68255914
They broke up in 2009, long before either of those things blew up to the extent they have today.
>>
>>68253527
i mean, they do have notoriety in japan. they're regarded as a staple group of their underground rock scene. chances are, if you're a native from japan playing noisy music of any kind, you're probably very into midori. they're famous over there in the way that p.j. harvey is famous over here.
>>
>>68255614
That's not what lolicon means you turd guzzler
>>
>>68255833
There's more experimentation in mainstream pop music in Japan than anywhere else, though, so you're absolutely wrong.

I can't actually tell the difference between most of the top 40 singles of the past 2 years here in Ireland (they're all exactly the same, structurally) and we have a crossover of pretty much all Western music in our charts. However, I can hear the difference between most big JPop acts pretty easily and they're doing more musically than Bieber or 'Chainsmokers' or whoever else is pumping out the same track over and over on this side of the planet.
>>
>>68255949
>>>/v/
>>
>>68256000

http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/

Here, have your mind blown by their very experimental top 40s.
>>
>>68256101
Upvote.

>>68256000
Fuckign weebs man.
>>
>posts about band on American image board with implication we all know them
>asks why they aren't famous
>>
>>68256101
>is more than
>it's not made entirely out of next level experimental music and therefore I will act as though you claimed every pop act in Japan is Captain Beefheart
Here's your (you).
Experimentation isn't limited just to musicianship, either. The ideas explored by a lot of those acts are far more advanced than what we're used to here. The entire idea of idol groups itself and the way in which they are marketed, regardless of morality or the state of their music in terms of music appreciation, is a huge conceptual leap in pop music and reactionary to hero worship as part of post-modern, bourgeois sentimentality and is, therefore, more valuable culturally than Katy Perry or One Direction or whatever.
You're far too close minded to discuss things like this, though.
>>
>>68254959
love mutyumu but I've never even heard of midori until this thread.
>>
>>68256188
>>it's not made entirely out of next level experimental music and therefore I will act as though you claimed every pop act in Japan is Captain Beefheart

Again, we're talking about mainstream music. When's the last time you've seen your mom listening to Metal Machine Music?

Now picture yourself in Japan, do you think Taro's mom and his girlfriend go out and buy the latest Boris or something?
>>
>>68256188
^^ this.
>>
>>68253527
Were midori not famous? I think I read an article once saying that the kidz really loved them. How can you tell whether something from japan was famous anyway? Unless you mean like top 40, which obviously they're way too abrasive for, even though J-Pop can get pretty fucking abrasive.
>>
>>68254959
Mutyumu's cool, but 385 don't hold a candle to Midori for me

>>68253812
If any album is better than Hajimemashite, it's Shinsekai
>>
>>68256222
m8 this shit is pretty out there and abrasive even by non-mainstream western standards https://youtu.be/fMHj3U3-RA4
>>
>>68256222
>there is more experimentation in Japan's pop music than ours
>"lol no, my mom doesn't listen to Lou Reid"
You're beyond saving, you can't even read.
Also, Boris are a huge, worldwide band. I first heard of them from a 60 year old man in an ill-fitting suit.
Japan's media, as goes for a lot of Asia, contains output still aimed for an educated audience. In cinema they have Sono and Koreeda, in music even their most marketable acts include experimentation for an audience that appreciates the medium. Even their pro wrestling fans are famous for actually paying attention as opposed to Western crowds who are preoccupied with chanting.
Capitalist structures in the West has conditioned their audiences to do/like/buy based on tropes established through advertising. This is far more brutally true in the West than anywhere else, which is why there's more progression outside of the West which is why foreign produce - notably that of Japan due to their not being too heavily influenced by outside forces thanks to their being the only country that speaks Nihongo - has had such a huge effect on Western audiences since the internet allowed for it to be shared more freely.

How can you be alive in 2016 and not understand that? You shouldn't be trying to discuss experimentation and culture if you can't comprehend simple things like that.
>>
>>68256285
>American pop is the most experimental in the world!
>Lady Gaga is completely turning the pop world on its head!
>Foster the People have championed the single most experimental hard-to-understand and challenging pop single of this decade!
>Twenty One Pilots wrote all their own music and its super complicated for the mainstream pop world to understand!

Now replace American with Japanese and fill in your favorite idol group/"experimental" pop top 40 groups, and well, you'll have your answer.
>>
>>68256222
The most viewed jpop video in the youtube is AKB48 - Heavy Rotation, with around 130M or so views. Let's just say that in japan this is the equivalent of the most viewed western pop video in the world with around 1.8b or so views. The difference between them is over 10 times plus.

For another comparison, there's a video by Phew with around 300k views. That's the equivalent of 2.5M views for western artist with wider exposure.

I'm pretty sure that in this scale Boris is about as popular or even more than lets say, Animal Collective is in US...just saying...they are not that unknown. They have opened to big bands...It's true that they enjoy less recognition in japan than they do worldwide and that's merely because rock is a big and oversaturated market in japan and Boris straight forward metal albums may not come off as anything special (even though Akuma no Uta rocks the shit out of almost every other band I've listened to imo. I think most will agree with that as well. They do really a nice drone rock though, but that's obviously for niche audience.

(Btw I'm not sure if Youtube is that big on japan)
>>
>>68253812
what guitar is that?
>>
>>68256316
Lady Gaga and Foster the People are both examples of Western Pop music that is completely devoid of experimentation, mate.

>you'll have you answer
To what question? Maybe "is this anon/(you) literally retarded?" in which case, yes, you are.
>>
>>68256184
If u dont know who midori are then ur a fucking pleb simple as that
>>
>>68256184
>I'm new
>>
>>68254994
>i can't listen to them again after learning this.

That just makes you an idiot
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.