[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Epic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: The Epic.jpg (882KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
The Epic.jpg
882KB, 1400x1400px
I fucking love this album. Debatably a future classic among jazz saxophone albums. What's /mu/'s opinion of Kamasi Washington's The Epic?
>>
>>68250354
psuedo intellectual's wet dream
>>
It's pretty bad if you ask me. The band has very little chemistry, Kamasi thinks he's hot shit so he just wails as fast as he can for a solid bit of the record without drumming up any memorable melody or improv, and this album is indulgent as all hell and about an hour too long because of it. The man's definitely a great saxophonist, that no one denies, but that's not all it takes to make a good jazz album.
>>
More like The Epic Fail
>>
Utter trash. There are dozens of records in this style that are so much better you'd have a seizure if you heard them. Kamasi is like the Force Awakens of jazz artists. Also, if you ever have the misfortune of seeing him live, you'll realize that he is also a tasteless improvisor when not held back by the producer's yoke.
>>
>>68250622
Fucking this.
>>
kumasi fucking blows.
>>
/mu/ hates this album cause it's popular and think it's entry level. don't bother.
>>
It's not bad, not amazing, pretty good

/mu/ hates it cuz im epic and contrarian xD
>>
>>68250622
well put and yeah, honestly this record falls short of its ambition and the hype is offensive to jazz in general.
>>
>>68250772
saw him live three days ago and he and his whole band were great
>>
>>68250772
>There are dozens of records in this style that are so much better you'd have a seizure if you heard them

name one.
>>
>>68250868
Stanley Cowell - New World
John Coltrane - Africa/Brass
Houston Person - Broken Windows Empty Hallways
Cecil McBee - Mutina
Pharaoh Sanders - Thembi, also Karma (actually, most Pharaoh)
Lonnie Liston Smith - Astral Travelling
Sun Ra - Space Is the Place
There's plenty more.
>>
>>68250960
thanks
>>
>>68250809
This. It's nothing groundbreaking like everyone said it was but it isn't necessarily a bad record.
>>
>>68250622
this.
>>68250354 has op listened to a lot of jazz?
>>
>>68250622
>without drumming up any memorable melody

Obviously hasn't heard the opening to the first track
>>
>>68250772
>Implying improvisation within Jazz is a bad thing when the very foundation of the genre was built on artists' spontaneity
>>
>>68251023
So was that the first time you heard modal jazz?
>>
>>68251070
Kind of Blue (obv)
>>
>>68251059
I didn't say that, I said he improvised tastelessly. Nice reading comprehension
>>
>>68250354
I like it, really fucking long though. Have never been able to finish it in one session. Also people here try to be overly critical on him because he's somewhat well known and in general people say he's like the greatest jazz artist of our time or some shit. So they have really high expectations for someone that has that kind of reputation. He's pretty dope, you'll probably find something you like more eventually but I think liking him sets you up for success in finding "better" music
>>
>>68251017
OP here. I've listened to quite a bit of Jazz, especially ragtime. I wouldn't consider myself a connoisseur, but I'm certainly not naive when it comes to the genre.
>>
>>68251097
Tasteless ≠ unmemorable (which it's mot).
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.