[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Julien Baker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0104.jpg (156KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0104.jpg
156KB, 1200x1200px
Has anyone else come across this girl? Normally I hate these shitty "indie" or "undercover" acts, but there's something about her that I can't pinpoint that's had me obsessing over her music. She's cute as fuck, obviously, but that's not it. Someone explain pls
>>
Also, this for reference and actual proof of talent
https://youtu.be/tADWPTqR_4A
>>
I don't know. I guess she's more of a settled "woe is me" that kind of makes light of her seemingly pathetic existence while many female indie artists that make this kind of music simply bitch and moan about how tragic their life is.

You should check out the album When You Walk A Long Distance You Are Tired by Mothers.
>>
i cant stand her singing style. sounds like any of those acoustic cover girls on youtube who over strain their voices
>>
>>68250004
Idk either, man. For me, it's been a long damn time since stuff like this felt genuine. There's been a whole generation of these singer-songwriters brought up, desperately trying to nail this sound and feeling. Some of them get close enough to make it worth listening, but she just gets it so effortlessly.
>>
>68250132
Now that you mention it the lyrics are pretty nihilistic in a sense, most of the people I listen to are that way to a certain extent (Elliott Smith, Jon Brion, etc.). This explains some of it, but I'm so drawn to her voice despite what >68250158 is saying, and normally I'd agree with him.
>>
>>68250232
Forgot to add, she's actually p good at guitar. Something a lot of other chicks who want to be like her are lacking imo.
>>
>>68250283
I'm a retard holy shit, you know what I was trying to do though
>>
>>68250290
Yeah, I noticed that, her picking patterns are pretty original and her use of hammer ons/offs and harmonics are so effortless. And she does all this while singing too, it's impressive.
>>
>>68250336
Her stuff starts blending together after a while, but it's not a bad thing. Personally I've been waiting for this sound to come back for a while. Another thing that's appealing about her is that there's so many gimmicky acts in this scene these days, and she's bringing it back to what made it good in the first place - some otherwise quiet human being with a guitar singing their feelings.
>>
>>68250534
Reminds me of a female Elliott Smith, although not as talented in the theory, she makes up for it in vocals (which he was lacking in my opinion)
>>
>>68250004
this was my 2015 AOTY

Personally, you can feel the emotion in the music. >>68250232
Like this dude said, it's genuine. You can tell just by listening to this that her music has meaning to it. Its meaningful to her, and her passion exudes from it.
>>
>tfw haven't been your meds
>tfw you want to go home
>>
>>68250866
it'll all be ok, anon. Continue to use music as your outlet, it cleanses the soul.
>>
>>68250866
Yo if you meant this is what her music sounds like, I agree. Either way, hang in there friend.
>>
Jesus fuck I'm in love what have you done to me.
9/10 would be sad with
>>
>>68251255
Be sad, but don't be alone. Listening to her for the first time in months cause of this thread. So thanks everyone involved.
>>
File: LHR4ANm.jpg (48KB, 530x800px) Image search: [Google]
LHR4ANm.jpg
48KB, 530x800px
>>68250866
this made me laugh more than it should've

Anyway, I absolutely love her music, it was my AOTY and still is my favourite album. She's a genuine and a sweet person and I feel it reflects perfectly on her music. I know most of her guitar work isn't technical but it does hold a melancholy tone that pulls me in every time. I can see where some people would shy away though, as some do feel that it is probably forced.

Met her and saw her live, you could feel the mood shift when she got up and started her set; it was pretty fuckin' great. I really can't wait for more stuff.

Also, she's a qt and I like her face n' stuff.

>picture related to how i feel listening to the album
>>
>>68250004
I tried to enjoy her album when it was first memed around here. Couldn't. It's just so bland and boring.

What do you like about her op?
(Besides the fact that she controlls your penis)
>>
wtf just go to any open mic night in any small town and get this same shit.
I imagine it's going straight over my head, but I don't get it.
Keep doing your thing lads I guess.
>>
>>68250296
Do we?
>>
>>68251376
I think you have to grow up enjoying this type of stuff in the first place to actually enjoy what she's doing, so I totally feel you there.
>>
im in love with her and her music
>>
boring indie music to me
>>
I really like her guitar tone, it's a warm and melancholic feeling perfect for a suburban depressive fuck like me
>>
>>68251508
fucking waifufags all of you
>>
>>68251933
I'd argue that attractiveness, both physical and otherwise, is a huge part of what singer-songwriters successful. In the intimate settings that these types of artists preform, it's bound to play a role. Regardless, she's apparently a lesbian, so fuck waifufags.
>>
>>68252185
what makes*
>>
File: 1475117333908.gif (13KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1475117333908.gif
13KB, 125x125px
>>68252185
Doesn't matter if she's a lesbian to me
>>
File: 1473616972285.png (337KB, 600x348px) Image search: [Google]
1473616972285.png
337KB, 600x348px
i came across her one day on the audiotree radio channel on youtube. great stuff desu senpai. her style isn't original true. but her rig and tone are clutch for her energy and singing style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXZG6-3BaKY
>>
sounds like Grouper without the reverb
>>
>>68250004
I think she's alright. She's very talented, but it's not for me.
>>
>>68251369
I'm a sadfag for my music
>>
JB is the shit! Saw her play a bunch in Memphis with her band Forrister (TSK). She is an insanely talented musician and very rad person.
>>
The answer is really pretty simple, its because she's actually a good songwriter.

She does used that pretty cliched contemporary vocal delivery that every other girl has been using since 2005, but she knows her way around lyrics and melody and can keep you engaged with that.

It's a shame the craft of songwriting tends to get ignored around here (and really nowadays in general). People always just use that throwaway insult of calling it "boring" despite the fact that if you're attentive enough listener, a quality songwriter can give you more than enough to interest. Now I'll admit her overall sound is fairly unoriginal, but I have she'll only expand her sonic qualities in the years to come.
>>
>>68255517
*have a feeling
>>
>>68250572
Elliott's vocals were nice af. Not technically impressive, but they fit his sound like no other. Plus, his use of lofi harmonies is pretty damn unique. Julien is pretty good, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, she's not even close to Elliott's level.
>>
>>68256362
I'm talking tone, not technicalities. Elliott was fucking amazing, I agree with you on that 100%. Songs like Tomorrow Tomorrow and Because still blow my fucking mind.
>>
>>68250004
Saw her live and she was pretty great. Did the whole set by her tiny self.
>>
>>68250132

Yeah, do what he says
>>
>>68258156
The day I found her I was hooked, so I decided to look up live shows in my area to see her… I missed her by two days :'(
She lives not far from where I do, so maybe there'll be a few shows here after her tour
>>
>>68258437
I'll be sure to do that, thanks
>>
OP here, does anyone know if she'll be supported more if I buy her album off of bandcamp or iTunes? $5 on bandcamp and $7.99 on iTunes
>>
>>68258493
If I'm correct, artist get a higher cut through Bandcamp. I mean, even her label redirects the digital download to Bandcamp.
>>
>>68258458
She's a qt too. Probably opportunities to chat her up after a show if she's not shy.
>>
>>68258745
She's really not, honestly. You think she would be without how she comes off, but she's pretty outgoing. At least that's what I gathered from my experience.
>>
>>68258923
;)
>>
File: 1455330235392.png (17KB, 437x384px) Image search: [Google]
1455330235392.png
17KB, 437x384px
>>68259000
If only I was a girl and would have a chance, my friend

also, nice trips there
>>
>tfw I ran into her at Primavera Sound
>tfw I wanted to say something
>tfw I said nothing
>>
>>68258655
Thanks!
>>
File: asd.png (2MB, 1360x764px) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
2MB, 1360x764px
>>68259060

>tfw when she left hours ao
>tfw you haven't moved yet
>>
>>68259060
I'm sorry for your loss
>>
I did the same thing, but with Courtney Barnett.
>>
>>68259156
Her best live performance imo
>>
Any pics with her hair blowing in the wind?
>>
>>68252971
she's too pretty ;-;
>>
File: ikgp.jpg (98KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
ikgp.jpg
98KB, 768x512px
>>68260803
sorta?
>>
>>68250004
One of my favourite albums, seeing her live in Brisbane next month and can't wait
>>
her life story brought me in

she's got simple enough songs to be able to play live at a high degree

her lyrics hit home

she crossed a line with lyrics as well, indie girls don't go as far as suicide songs normally
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.