[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's the best Jazz artist, and why is it Miles Davis?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

File: Kind of Blue.jpg (119KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Kind of Blue.jpg
119KB, 800x800px
Who's the best Jazz artist, and why is it Miles Davis?
>>
>>68249704
nice bait. Miles Davis isn't even the best Jazz trumpet player
>>
>>68249704
cause miles managed to surround himself with better musicians
>>
>>68249704
Charles Lloyd is pretty dank. Forest Flower is just so great.

Also McCoy Tyner is dope.
>>
Obviously because of how consistent his output was. Easily the 20th century's best artist overall, too by that measure since nobody else has released like 30 solid releases.
>>
>>68249772
>Charles Lloyd
>Dank
what???

his range is pretty awesome. it kinda reminds me of sonny rollins. voice in the night was the last one ive heard
>>
File: 1449848767649.jpg (109KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1449848767649.jpg
109KB, 1080x720px
>"hi, i literally just came here from reddit"
>mfw
>>
>>68249718
true
>>
>>68249704
Because, unlike most jazz musicians after the 50s, he didn't forget that melodies are actually important.
>>
>>68249823
>Implying a Reddit user would even know the definition of "ragtime"
>>
>>68249753
>>68249704

Yeah. I mean he was behind some pretty major shifts in Jazz on multiple occasions.

Honorable Mentions:
>Mingus (was probably a better arranger/composer tho.)

>Bill Evans (was the best pianist and cool jazz player in general, though.)

>Alice Coltrane (Really changed the way jazz was supposed to be listened to i.e. meditative)

>Ornette Coleman
>Monk
>Don Cherry

Idk. The greats are remembered as the greats for a reason
>>
File: hubbard.jpg (16KB, 308x336px)
hubbard.jpg
16KB, 308x336px
>>68249856
true
>>
What do you guys think of Ahmad Jamal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1DithiAmko
>>
I haven't listened to much jazz at all, but I'd like to hear more although I don't know where to go with it. I heard Watermelon Man by Herbie Hancock the other day which I liked and I like Knee Deep in the North Sea by Portico Quartet. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be a good next step? I'm keen on saxophone.
>>
>>68250225
Two words.
Kamasi.
Washington.
A contemporary jazz saxophonist who's blown my mind ever since I first listened to him. Check out his album The Epic.
>>
>>68250271
definitely reccing the shit out of my homie Kamasi
>>
>>68250271
Thanks for the rec, I'll check him out.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKzxrKM2dJA
>>
>>68250225
>Sonny Rollins - Way Out West
>Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
>Hank Mobley - Dippin'
>Dizzy Gillespie/Sonny Rollins/Sonny Stitt - Sonny Side Up

You won't be disappointed,.
>>
>>68250271
Gross.
>>
>>68250225
I urge anyone new to jazz to start with Kind of Blue (the album OP posted) not just for studying but for listening and discovering, it's a great starting point for diving into jazz and jazz is already an incredibly easu genre to explore, since every musician during that time played with eachy other and had their own discographies.

If you want saxophone, the two players on Kind of Blue (John Coltrane (Blue Trane) and Cannonball Adderly (Something Else)) are both masters at what they do. Other sax players to check out are Sonny Rollins (Saxophone Collosus), Ornette Coleman (The Shape of Jazz to Come), Wayne Shorter (Speak No Evil), and Eric Dolphy (Out To Lunch).

Essential albums by each are in the brackets, check those ones out.
>>
>>68250271
>>68250397
Super gross.
>>
>>68250379
>>68250630
Thanks guys.
>>
File: 1475549207383.jpg (1MB, 1536x2976px) Image search: [Google]
1475549207383.jpg
1MB, 1536x2976px
>>68250630
I found this chart really useful to not feel overwhelmed trying to get into jazz
>>
>>68250657
>>68250666
Great chart, notice how almost all the albums I mentioned are on there, s'cause they're essential man. There are a couple more charts out there that are also great.
>>
>>68250271
jesus christ, when will people stop saying kumasis good. anyone who reccs kumasi cant name 10 jazz records, they just think theyre real fucking hip for some reason. fuck kumasi and fuck you.
>>
>>68250762
I feel the same may be true about the BadBadNotGood's IV album

>>68250690
NoteLord, you seem like you know jazz, did you listen to it, what did you think?
>>
>>68250009
Bill made Kind of Blue what it was imo. Too bad at the time he was simply seen as dat white pianis.
>>
>>68250795
Badbadnotgood's new album? Nah not yet. They're more on the Instrumental Hip-Hop side of things, which isn't a bad thing at all, but they aren't too traditional (from what I've listened to of their's, II and III). They're all great musicians though, I auditioned at the school they graduated from and didn't get in so that's cool.

I also haven't listened to Kamasi's album, but I have it in my library waiting there until I have the time to listen to the whole thing.
>>
hey mu lets talk about some fucking records eh? whats everyone been listening to this week.
>>
>>68250889
Now I'm really interested, I'll have to check it out.

Forgot to mention another essential album, check out Joe Henderson's Page One, has Blue Bossa which is one of the most popular standards out there.
>>
It's actually Pharaoh Sanders
>>
>>68250762
Alright intellectual cunt, educate my musically retarded self on which jazz saxophone artists are the best for a beginner. I'm simply dying to be graced by your enlightening post.
>>
>>68250762
>Kumasi
Fucking kek. Anyways, I really don't get this jazz fans don't like Kamasi meme.
>Google jazz album reviews
>Click first site
>Search The Epic
>5 stars
>Second site
>4 stars
>>
>>68250910
Oops sorry, deleted my post for spelling mistakes.
For anybody reading back I mentioned Badbadnotgood's new album being more jazz fusion/nu-jazz based than their earlier hip-hop based releases.
>>
>>68250902
Atrocity Exhibition bruh bruh.
>>
>>68250806
>Too bad at the time he was simply seen as dat white pianis
Is this a joke? He was one of the best selling pianists
>>
>>68250902
Right now I'm listening to Wayne Shorter's Second Genesis, great lineup on here too (Herbie Hancock, Art Blakey, Bob Cranshaw, Cedar Walton).
>>
>>68250902
Eric Dolphy - Far Out
Jon Hassel - Marrifa Street
Miles Davis - On the Corner
Denny Zeitlin - Early Wayne
Kenny Burrell - Guitar Forms

Non-Jazz:
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Shahen Shah
Joanna Newsom - Divers
Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land
And some traditional music from Nepal
>>
>>68250972
In terms of Kind of Blue, he was often overshadowed and sometimes even bullied by the rest of the band/fans.

But yeah overall, Bill's career was amazing. Personally my favorite jazz artist.
>>
>>68249753
This. But that doesn't speak badly of Miles, he manages to assemble the perfect bands that made flawless music, even if he himself wasn't the best player ever.
>>
>>68251115
Some critics didn't like him that much, and a lot of the bullying was Miles awkwardly propositioning him. Among the jazz scene, he was notoriously bisexual and I've heard that from people who met him.
>>
>>68249704
I love miles davis. John Coltrane too. Dave Brubeck and all them cats... but this takes the cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuKAHsfohzI

He was 18 when this album was released. He wanted to go on tour with weather report, frank zappa and the mahavishnu orchestra but he never got the chance and fled the country to go seek god. It came out in 1976.
>>
>>68250926
lester young, coleman hawkins, ben webster, charlie parker, lee konitz, stan getz, sonny rollins, eddie lockjaw davis, paul gonzalvez, johnny hodges, cannonball adderly, sonny stitt, JOHN MOTHER FUCKING COLTRANE, Gene ammons, pepper adams, art pepper if were sticking with the pepper theme, wayne wayne wayne shorter, Marion brown, Ornette coleman maaaan, henry threadgil, anthony braxton, dewey redman, eric dooolphy bitch, paul desmond, steve lacy, charlie rouse, phil woods, micheal brecker, albert ayler, dick oatts, tim warfield, mark turner, joe lovano, the leibs (dave leibman), david s ware, Joooooeeee henderson, dexter gordon, julius hemphill, fred anderson, jan garbarek, chris potter, von freeman, chico freeman, joshua redman, idk and why the fuck not ill throw in brandford marsalis's boring ass just cause literally everyone i just named is sooooo much fucking better then kumasi. so ya know, getting ur listening ears on white man.
>>
File: 1475599855207.jpg (415KB, 1414x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1475599855207.jpg
415KB, 1414x2000px
I would ______ a loli
>>
>>68251011
cool stuff man, whos jon hassel? worth checking out?
>>68250974
nice, you like blakey with herbie more then tony and herbie?
>>
>>68251239
Delete this.
>>
>>68251195
this entire post
GET EM

kek
well done
>>
>>68251289
yeah man, i can sperg out some horn players once in awhile.
>>
Aside from Django Reinhardt and Wes Montgomery, who else is an excellent jazz guitarist and recs on essential jazz guitar albums?
>>
>>68251354
Grant Green- Solid
Pat Martino- Live
Jim Hall (and Bill Evans)- Undercurrent
Joe Pass- Virtuoso
Pat Metheny- Bright Size Life
Mick Goodrick- In Pas(s)ing
John Abercrombie- Cat n Mouse
Kurt Rosenwinkel- Star of Jupiter
Jonathan Kreisberg- Shadowless
Lage Lund- Foolhardy
>>
>>68251390
Thank you my dude
>>
>>68250934
>go to a music school w/ strong jazz program
>"hey kids what are you listening to?"
>"kamasi" "kamasi" "kumasi" koomassey"

people are really out of touch i guess
>>
>>68251420
What school with a "strong" jazz program did you actually go to and ask them this?
>>
>>68251390
Some other great players are Lenny Breau, Charlie Christian, and Ed Bickert. I'd list more but this anon named almost all the greats.

>>68251261
I'm not sure honestly, both Tony and Blakey are incredible players. Blakey's a better band leader than Tony I'd say but they're both masters at what they do. Elvin Jones, however, is my favourite drummer of all time.
>>
>>68251390
bill frisell ben monder and joe morris are some other good ones.
>>
>>68251450
haha yeah theres definitely no right answer, i think blakey has alittle wider, more old school swing then im used to hearing on waynes records as a band leader but theyre both incredible of course. yeah man, elvin is a mother fucker no doubt. no one will ever do it like coltrane and his quartet could man.
>>
File: mingusblacksaint.jpg (326KB, 1400x1400px)
mingusblacksaint.jpg
326KB, 1400x1400px
IMO Mingus or Thelonious Monk for how much emotion they put into their work.

Maybe Bird or Duke Ellington for being pioneers.

Miles Davis was great but i'm sick of all his stuff and he shat all over his legacy in the 80s with all the shit he put out.
>>
Reminder to check out the weekly /blindfold test/ threads if you like talking about jazz. They go on every Friday and Saturday.
>>68150379
>>
>>68251446
people at colburn really like him

I don't know if you're familiar with that school

so you win this time
>>
File: Fire! Orchestra - Ritual.jpg (223KB, 588x599px) Image search: [Google]
Fire! Orchestra - Ritual.jpg
223KB, 588x599px
>>68251718
the lads in the jazz theory classes i took at UAA absolutely loved him, which I would consider a mark against him they're all hacks and plebs
>>
>>68251718
The last time I talked to some jazz students it went something like this:

"So who are you listening to?"
>Oh I like Bill Evans and Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter

"Cool, you like any modern players?"
>Oh I don't really listen to anything recent. Except Kamasi Washington's album was really good.

I got pretty much this exact response from two different sophomore undergrads at an ok jazz school. If you were to go to a really good jazz school and ask the students my guess is they'd be talking about the albums that their teachers play on, since most of the good jazz schools have really great artists teaching there
>>
>>68251171
This is surprisingly fascinating.
>>
Any big bands recs?
>>
File: 20161005_095307.jpg (947KB, 2560x1920px)
20161005_095307.jpg
947KB, 2560x1920px
>>
>>68251975
nah the people in my jazz department are fucking hip dog, they're into the real nuts nyc and chicago and san fran stuff and the way they talk about the players is so fucking cool they use only one of the names like instead of Bill Frisell they'd say Bill it's fucking hip as shit, they're also down to jam with whatever i'm into since I can't play bebop-style stuff for shit but they're down to go more rock-oriented every so often and usually invite me to sit in, real cool guys, and i'm not even studying music here, just gotta end up at a school with a good jazz school
>>
>>68252261
Spike Orchestra, Peter Apfelbaum, Liberation Music Orchestra, Philip Cohran, Dave Holland Big Band
>>
>>68251551
finally somebody said it
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.