[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scaruffi's highest rated band/album?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_3984.jpg (46KB, 452x601px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3984.jpg
46KB, 452x601px
Scaruffi's highest rated band/album?
>>
the beatles
>>
Buyers Market
>>
Frank Zappa
Trout Mask Replica
>>
>>68244811
Lurk more
>>
he has a massive hard on for pere ubu
>>
File: fast_and_bulbous.jpg (43KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
fast_and_bulbous.jpg
43KB, 500x495px
>>
>album
Black Saint and The Sinner Lady and Trout Mask Replica
>band
Zappa
>>
>>68244996
To be fair, Zappa is one of the greatest musical geniuses of all time and is depressingly underrated.
>>
Scaruffi's rating system does not make sense. He claims to rate on a scale of ten, but he actually rates on a scale of nine.
>>
>>68245193
>trout mask replica got a 9.5

He'll only give a 10 if it's the best album ever made
>>
>>68245193
(.5)
>>
>>68245263
what do you think a 10 for him would sound like?
bare minimum it has to include some dissonant clarinet playing and memes
>>
>>68245263
>He'll only give a 10 if it's the best album ever made

>the best *rock* album ever made

He already gave a perfect 10 to a few classical and jazz works (most notably Beethoven's Ninth, which has almost become his touchstone)
>>
>>68245792
>He already gave a perfect 10 to a few classical and jazz works (most notably Beethoven's Ninth, which has almost become his touchstone)

source on this???
>>
>>68245600
i think the point is that tmr is a 10 for him, but he only wants to give a 10 to the best album ever which he cant decide on until right before he dies
>>
>>68245801
>source on this???

I can't find it right now, but in the past he has stated that he will give a 10 to a rock album only if it can compete with the best works in classical and jazz music. Consequently, it means that his favourite classical and jazz albums are 10s to him.
>>
File: PierpScaruffi.jpg (30KB, 548x308px) Image search: [Google]
PierpScaruffi.jpg
30KB, 548x308px
>>68245850

>the year is 2035
>Scaruffi is in a hospital with cancer
>he hasn't updated his site in almost decade, with the last few batches of reviews being nothing above a 7
>there hasn't been an 8 since 2019
>there was never another rating higher than 8.5
>/mu/ may or may not exist on 4chan at that point but surely we will all be shitposting somewhere, so us "/mu/tants" are sad
>then the news hits
>"Pierro Scaruffi is dead"
>he died peacefully in his bed while listening to music
>every music fan is depressed
>we all figure nothing will have changed and there will never be another update, and the site may even go down
>one anon notices something
>on Captain Beefheart's page, something is different
>it can't be
>it's unbelievable
>according to the internet archive, the edit was made less than a day before his death
>Trout Mask Replica - 10/10
>>
>>68245967

that's the most poetic thing I've heard in a while.
>>
>>68245915
>Consequently, it means that his favourite classical and jazz albums are 10s to him.

I guess that's true, I just wish he would actually put it on his website, like "Beethoven's 9th - 10/10" the way he does with rock albums. It would feel more official, I feel like the way things are now, we are always left to speculate whether or not he believes in any kind of 10/10 album.

>>68245915

>he will give a 10 to a rock album only if it can compete with the best works in classical and jazz music

I don't think that's ever gonna happen, not even close actually. I mean he considers jazz to be better than rock and even jazz doesn't quite reach classical.

I would really like to read that interview though.
>>
>>68246034
>whether or not he believes in any kind of 10/10 album.

*any kind of 10/10 piece of music in general I mean
>>
>>68245967
alternate universe edition
>scaruffi is on his deathbed
>he has accepted his fate, and has been listening to tmr on repeat for the past few weeks
>scaruffi will die any minute now
>suddenly, the ghost of lester bangs floats into the hospital room
>he's holding a link to a soundcloud page
>with the last hour of his life, scaruffi listens to the shitty "atmospheric" nujabes ripoff beats
>with the last few seconds of his life he visits his website and marks the tape
>10/10
and drifts into the abyss
>>
>>68246034
Beethoven getting 10/10 is fucking pathetic desu, he has 500 years of hindsight. If Beethoven brought something out today theres no way he'd get 10/10
>>
>>68245967

I actually felt a slight twinge of emotion
>>
>>68245915

Ive found it, it's in italian:
>"Il 10 me lo riservo per il primo disco di musica rock che mettero` insieme ai capolavori della classica e del jazz."
>(http://www.scaruffi.com/music/letters.html)

translation, more or less:
"I will give a 10 to the first rock album that deserves to be placed next to the masterpieces of classical and jazz"
>>
>>68245600
I think it needs to be the most original album for at least 100 years (cannot be linked to other genres directly), whilst still being somewhat listenable
>>
File: before_and_after.png (27KB, 500x189px) Image search: [Google]
before_and_after.png
27KB, 500x189px
>>68246070
but that's scruffy's thing. he'll bump something a couple points higher just for being ahead of its time. his ratings aren't set in stone.

pic related
>>
>>68245967
I literally and unironically cried.
>>
>>68246034
>I don't think that's ever gonna happen, not even close actually. I mean he considers jazz to be better than rock and even jazz doesn't quite reach classical.

yep, he has said many times that he is not a rock music fan and that he is not emotionally attached to it. He grew up listening to jazz and classical.
>>
>>68246131
Well technically I could say that Soundtracks for the Blind deserves that place
>>
>>68246034
It actually nearly did.

If you read his review of Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan, he says it's the closest rock music has ever come to jazz and classical in his eyes.
>>
>>68245967
god dammit I love this man
>>
Post the album you are most grateful towards scaruffi for discovering.
>>
>>68246034
Scaruffi did rank Black Saint and Sinner Lady above Stravinsky's Rite of Spring as the greatest ballet of all time so a 10/10 jazz album by scaruffi is a possibility (though I personally wouldn't rate it nor any other jazz album above a 9.5/10 - only the top greatest classical works deserve a 10/10 IMO)
>>
Aqua - Aquarium
>>
>>68245193
Just because he hasn't found a ten yet doesn't mean he won't use it if/when he does
>>
>>68247972
good album
>>
File: 1405990936672.jpg (28KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1405990936672.jpg
28KB, 300x400px
>>68245967
fuck all the butt-hurt beatles fans, I will seriously cry and be unironically depressed when Scaruffi dies.
>>
>>68244944
He does have a good taste in avant garde
>>
File: 1456095684531.jpg (62KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1456095684531.jpg
62KB, 500x500px
>>68247783
too many to count desu, but pic related is a true gem
>>
Beatles = Cezanne
Frank Zappa = Picasso

Agree or Disagree?
>>
>>68245967
>scaruffi will die in your lifetime

music for this feel?
>>
>>68248910
Bach = DaVinci
Mozart = Raphael
Beethoven = Michelangelo

Beatles = Bob Ross
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.